LegacyGT.com

New Short Block Time...

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Welcome to the cracked ringland club!

But then again, I think you just started the cracked piston club.

I'm definitely not the first, but nevertheless happy to be part of such an exclusive club.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh201/3400modified/Leggy/DSC_0010_zps1eba8f3c.jpg

That is definitly a big one, mine was like a 1/4 of that. Bet you can't wait to get those forged pistions. ;)

Here's a pic when I received my rebuilt block with forged pistions. Joooocy!!

702595760_block1.thumb.JPG.80f559c2029920a4b2f3be75a54b92d9.JPG

My wife's balls are delicious.

Just got a call from the machine shop, they're confident the combustion chamber is going to come out just fine, so that's great. Valves weren't as bad as they expected either, but we're going to replace all 4 anyway. Only bad news is that all the distributors seem to be out, so he's going to have to order direct from the MFG, and it'll take a few days. I don't think my short block is going to be done before that (:spin:) anyway so no biggy.

What are your guys experiences with post-head-torqueing valve lashing? Adjustments needed? Should I be prepared to order lifter buckets?

When having your motor rebuilt, be prepare to add an extra week or 2 into the project, unless you plan to take time off from work to complete it. I estimated mine in 3 weeks and turned out to be 5 weeks before I was done. There always seems to be additional parts to order during the project that you might over see or find a broken/torn parts or hoses.

Have the machine shop pressure test & inspect the heads, if they pass, no need to spend the extra money to have them rebuilt. Same with the buckets and cams, take those in with the heads and have them messure the clearance, if they are within spec no need to get new ones. That's what I did.

Ask them how much to assemble the heads on the block. That way they will set valves and save you some time.

With all my machine shop did for me and what my bill was, I can't imagin it's that much work for them to slap the heads on and throw the timing belt on and set the valves.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Not all, I asked my machine shop if they could assemble the block and heads, but they just only condition blocks and rebuild heads. I didn't feel comfortable with any of the engine rebuilders here in town, I read a lot of great reviews of a shop down in L.A. that specialized in high performance Subaru motors. So, I had my shortblock crated down to them and had the block recondition, rebuilt (CP piston, ACL Race bearings, condition crank & rods), and sent back in 5 days. As you could see in my previous pic, it looked awesome.

Then I took my shortblock and heads to my local Subaru dealership and had them torque the heads onto the block. I could have done it myself, but I wanted a professional to do it for the piece of mind. Besides that, I completed the rest of the motor and installed it.

Yeah, the heads are all being done. All I was asking the dealer for was installing the heads to the block, installing the timing set, and checking valve lash.

That's what I would do, it's the time of year you want something you did to go wrong.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I just called the local dealer to check and they wanted 7 hours at 110/hr. :rolleyes:

Holy nutsack! :eek:

Dealer charged me for 1 hr of labor ($100), which I know would only take the mechanic less then 1/2 hr to do. Oh well, it's the cost for piece of mind.

:lol:

Best thing to do is drive down to the dealer and show them the block and heads in the back of the car/truck and say, how much to put these 3 pieces together? If they say over 1 hr again, then ask to speak with a tech for advice. Then ask the tech the same question, I bet he would say 30 mins.

Being a resident, I'm sure you've explored options for subie repair shops. It might be worth checking on an independent shop. Google'ing for shops was disappointing, tho. Found a circle track race shop and a few general auto repair shops. You might talk to the circle track shop if they build engines. If so, they might be willing to help make your long block (lot of if/might in there).

I'm fairly confident I can handle it. Confident enough to not want to pay someone else to do it anyway... :)

MAP has pretty thorough instructions posted for their head studs. Doesn't look like rocket surgery.

Need to talk to SBT/mods about supporting badges in the avatars. This has the makings of another Hicksta award.

Archived