LegacyGT.com

New Short Block Time...

My start up procedure.

Use starter to crank engine (no fuel) until oil pressure is reached (lamp off). Cycle starter so as not to overheat it. No fuel! You do not want to hydro lock. I disconnect the fuel pump fuse (or relay) when I pull the engine.

Check for leaks. Connect fuel.

Prime fuel pump several times. Check for leaks.

Start up. First 30 seconds -1 minute check for leaks. Check data.

While logging MULTIPLE parameters, run at 2700-3000rpm for 15 minutes.

Let engine cool completely (may take overnight)

Oil and filter change.

First "test" drive is 5-7 miles. No more than 40% throttle, no more than 5-7 psi. Alternate -short burst and then engine break. Varying gear and load.

After drive let engine cool completely. May take overnight. Check for leaks. Check all fluid levels.

Now the "break in" driving begins. I tend to put 150-250 miles on the engine prior to handing it over. I perform the 100 miles oil change for the customer.

I will post this section directly from my warranty statement:

Recommended break in should be 3000 miles driven under normal conditions, do not use synthetic oils during break-in, use good quality multi-grade oils such as Motul 10/40 break-in oil, Valvoline or Castrol. We recommend an oil change with filter at 100, 500 and 1000, 2000, and 3000 miles. At 3000 miles you can switch

to synthetic oils if you choose to. For the first 500 – 1000 miles try to avoid long periods of time at the same RPM such as freeway driving at 3500 RPM for 30 minutes. You should vary through the RPM range. Stock boost is fine but you should stay away from high boost/high load situations.

I won't be moving it much just driving about 3000 ft and so on I still have a little work left to do on it but it's all dmv related lol. At least this is good info to start off on I have my oil gauge wired to the ign so it should have power when turned to crank so it should show pressure when it arrives. I will be videotaping the whole thing. It's been about 3 years

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ha, I wish. Not in the budget unfortunately. Stock manifolds. COBB cast UP & COBB carted bellmouth DP. Stock cat-back.

Thanks Mike, great advice.

So one of Cobb's "iconel" UPs? If so, that would be rarer than hen's teeth.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Thread jack:

I had an iconel up pipe from Cobb. I never should have sold it. Oddly enough, I found it in pristine condition on eBay for $50 back in 2008. Passed it on to another forum member for the same $50 price tag.

Good luck with the build sir. If you have questions, you know where to find me.

• 8 months later...

She lives!!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URCHolqEWa0]2018 Rebuild First Start - YouTube[/ame]

Reporting two minor DTCs, P0463 (fuel sender) and P2227 (MAP sensor). I'll take it!

Edit: Noting mileage for posterity, 97578.

I don't think I have a full mod list written down anywhere, so I'm going to work on it in this post. My guess is there will be numerous edits as I remember more stuff. :lol:

Engine:

Forged CP Pistons, Swain Tech Coated (SC7426 9:1)

D25 Heads

Cometic MLS Head Gasket (C4574-056 .056)

MAP Head Studs

KillerB Oil Pan

KillerB Windage Tray

KillerB Oil Pickup

STI 11mm Oil Pump

King Bearings

AEM Oil Pressure Sensor

Infamous Filtered Turbo Oil Feed Line

Gates Timing Set + OEM Timing Belt Tensioner

OEM Oil Cooler

Fuel:

Deatschwerks DW65c Fuel Pump

Deatschwerks 850cc/min Fuel Injectors

Upgraded Fuel Pump Wiring

Tankful of E85

I/H/E:

Cobb Cast 304SS Up Pipe

EGT Delete

Thermal Zero Up Pipe Blanket

BNR HTA68 Turbo

Cobb Catted Down Pipe

AVO TMIC

GFB Blowoff Valve

TGV Delete

Grimmspeed ECBS

aFe Dry Filter

AEM MAP Sensor

Mr. Gasket 738G Turbo Gasket

Drivetrain:

WRX SMFW

Clutch Masters FX300 Clutch

Kartboy Short Throw Shifter

Kartboy Front and Rear Shifter Bushings

Centric Premium Blank Rotors

StopTech Street Performance Brake Pads

2004 STI BBS Wheels with Custom Powder Coat

225/45R17 Continental DW Tires

215/45R17 Brigestone Blizzak WS70 Tires (stock wheels)

Misc:

Cobb AP V3

AEM FailSafe WBO2/Boost Gauge

AEM Oil Pressure Gauge

Whiteline 20mm RSB

AVO RSB Reinforcement Brackets

Company23 Replacement "Blue Tee"

Custom built frank_ster Receiver Hitch

Yakima EZ Rider Roof Rack and Skybox Pro 16s

Optima Yellowtop AGM Battery

Stinger 1/0 Power Lead (for future system?)

Homelink Mirror

DRL Delete

Outback Rear Power Outlet

Rally Armor mud flaps

E85 Fuel Cap :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Pretty much, unless I need the rack for something else. No good place to store it :lol:

Do you have a garage? Any way to locate a Yakima lift in the ceiling, and suspend your box out of the way? It looks cool on the car, but it's costing you gas mileage, and sun- and bug-soaking your box.

I bought a Yakima Multi-lift and re-engineered the bits to make a 4'x8' platform lift suspended from the ceiling using 3/8" (300 lb capacity) nylon rope. Designed it to use a garage door drive system to turn the lift mechanism. Worked really well, and stored the 16cf Skybox, coolers, golf clubs, and my off-season wheels/tires.

Looks like there's plenty of room, and unless you're really tall, the bottom of the box should be well off the ground, with room to walk around.

Pick it up when you don't need it, drop it and go when you do. Perfect use of space IMHO.

• 1 month later...

When you change oil at 100, 500, etc miles is this total mileage accumulated from the initial start or is it 100 miles and then restart, 500 miles and restart? I'm sure I'm overthinking but I wanted to check. Thanks.

My start up procedure.

Use starter to crank engine (no fuel) until oil pressure is reached (lamp off). Cycle starter so as not to overheat it. No fuel! You do not want to hydro lock. I disconnect the fuel pump fuse (or relay) when I pull the engine.

Check for leaks. Connect fuel.

Prime fuel pump several times. Check for leaks.

Start up. First 30 seconds -1 minute check for leaks. Check data.

While logging MULTIPLE parameters, run at 2700-3000rpm for 15 minutes.

Let engine cool completely (may take overnight)

Oil and filter change.

First "test" drive is 5-7 miles. No more than 40% throttle, no more than 5-7 psi. Alternate -short burst and then engine break. Varying gear and load.

After drive let engine cool completely. May take overnight. Check for leaks. Check all fluid levels.

Now the "break in" driving begins. I tend to put 150-250 miles on the engine prior to handing it over. I perform the 100 miles oil change for the customer.

I will post this section directly from my warranty statement:

Recommended break in should be 3000 miles driven under normal conditions, do not use synthetic oils during break-in, use good quality multi-grade oils such as Motul 10/40 break-in oil, Valvoline or Castrol. We recommend an oil change with filter at 100, 500 and 1000, 2000, and 3000 miles. At 3000 miles you can switch

to synthetic oils if you choose to. For the first 500 – 1000 miles try to avoid long periods of time at the same RPM such as freeway driving at 3500 RPM for 30 minutes. You should vary through the RPM range. Stock boost is fine but you should stay away from high boost/high load situations.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived