LegacyGT.com

SWP cosworth wagon :)

hobo2701

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ya just kinda wanna do a 6speed before i put more stress on the tranny but wont be till winter when i drive my truck around i prefer to bust multiple projects at once while shes outta commision

That's good to hear as I'm gonna go get my first E85 fill up next week so I'm pretty excited to say the least I've been reading and seeing some impressive dyno sheets with hta68 so I hope it's not to addicting cuz the nearest fill station is like 2 hours away from me :)

The 5mt in the 05-09 lgt is good for about 400hp. If you treat it right. Anything after that is pushing it. With a 6 speed you have a lot more room to play without having to worry about breaking stuff

the 400 hp number has been bandied about, but not real data exists. The ppl breaking the 5mt usually have a tale that includes dragstrip or slamming gears. It can lock up under stress and either not stay in gear or go into another gear. The fix has been to swap out the stock gearset for an upgraded gear set.

At 400ft/lb, you're going to have to upgrade most, if not all, the rest of the drivetrain to support it. 400ft/lb in AWD car with skinny tires is a handful (think rally car).

I'm at 19k miles on my tune, 335ft/lb tq on 93 octane gas. About half those miles were on a track. The 5mt has held up well. The 5mt was rebuilt when I chipped 3rd gear speed shifting with stock motor in my very first track days. Since then, it has run fine, then again, I no longer force the shifts.

At 300 torque, your car is fine with the components you have now. At >400, the axles and other drivetrain bits are going to be more fragile. The swap to 6mt is a good time to upgrade all those things, including adding updated lsd in all 3 locations.

At 335, I'm traction limited without a front lsd. I've tuned the suspension to be just a hair beyond neutral, so I can throttle steer. Even with that, I have to tap the brakes to set the front and then ease on the throttle. Otherwise, I plow right off the corner.

read thru nsfw's thread on his upgrade. He has references to others who have done it.

ya understeer is no fun.. i remember when i first go ona track or autocrossed i was real bad at going in on sharper apexs way to fast and would just be on the brakes and plowing through cones but its amazing what some heavier sways and endlinks will do but i cant wait for the drivetrain swap its defiinitely coming before the turbo upgrade. hoping to just get a decent salavged sti and part out the rest of it but only time will tell now

Holy. Mackerel.

Had to sign in and subscribe. I want those Ohlins. And dat engine. You can keep the shell, I'll find another one in NBP :lol:

Any chance for a video? Preferably in 1080p?

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

:) ohlins are my favorite part u can order them through PSI in sonoma,ca or get them from an overseas vendor but expect to wait at least a month for them to come in and proly be around the 4k price but if u wanted to know more about them i would def recommend calling PSI and ask for beau hes very knowledgable on pretty much all coilover companies and setups they sell pretty much all the top brands from moton to penske and loads more. and thanks for the compliments

Hobo,

Sick build, I grew up in Meadow Vista and it's nice seeing a built NorCal car on here from time to time. BTW we need to start pushing for more E85 retailers in the sierras your right there are not many out here. I read all too often it's the way to go with these cars. The guys in Coloroado are having alot of fun with it on DD.

http://www.afdc.energy.gov/fuels/ethanol_locations.html

E85 is a blast with these cars- here in northern Illinois it's not abundant but you can find it. I tend to plot my trips and commute around where I can get E85. There are a couple of apps you can use to find it- Keen driver on Android and E85 Fuel Finder on iOS.

but before you fill up with E85 you need to tune for it- it's not just finding the fuel

Hobo,

Sick build, I grew up in Meadow Vista and it's nice seeing a built NorCal car on here from time to time. BTW we need to start pushing for more E85 retailers in the sierras your right there are not many out here. I read all too often it's the way to go with these cars. The guys in Coloroado are having alot of fun with it on DD.

http://www.afdc.energy.gov/fuels/ethanol_locations.html

i agree i have yet to run an e85 map yet and honestly not sure if i want to as its my dd and dont wanna risk breaking the tranny but i plan on doing a 6 speed swap this winter and will be running e85 as often as i can but ya it would be awesome to see it closer than minden nv

ya that was the other part i was thinking its very difficult to not smash around and its about 2 hours one way to nearest e85 station kinda wanna get a portable tank if i do start the e85 addiction. how many miles did u have on the 5 speed ?

• 4 weeks later...
my friend told me about an offer to buy into a store back in ca im just waiting to hear back from him on the price and if its in the $15k-$20k range selling my wagon is the only way i can come up with the loot for it and honestly i never planned on selling it but if i can use it to better my life then its something im willing to do but only if i get the price i need. im almost 30 and as much as its my dream car/build and if the asking price on the store is too high or i dont have any serious offers on the car then im def keeping it and gonna do a rotated turbo setup either gtx3076 or borgwarner efr and a 6speed swap and reverse intake manifold so only time will tell. i just know that there are always more cars out there and somethings are more important in life than having a sweet ride. and i still have a 95 dodge 2500 with a cummins in it so will still turbo love in my life :) besides half the fun is building the car and my friend out west that i did it with is an absolute genius with cars and my other dream car is a fully caged/seam welded gc8 with a 22b widebody kit because my ultimate goal in life is to rally race so we shall see

Oh boo!

Ya I agree it's kinda looking like I'm not doing it talked to me friend about the store today so looks like I will be just saving up more for this winters next makeover can't wait for the rotated setup and trans upgrade still not sure if am gonna just do ppg gears in the 5 speed or Sti swap

Archived