LegacyGT.com

So what's your backpacking style?

SBT

Temps at that altitude can drop quite a bit at night 30*F bag and ground pad should be more than enough. Pack a silk sack and if it's warm just slide into the sack and sleep on top of your bag. If it's colder, silk-up in your bag and you'll be warm and cozy.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Personally, I like the Asolo TPS 520 GVs or the Lowa Renegade GTXs. The Asolos provide a solid, stable platform for both hiking and backpacking, where the the Lowas are mostly hiking with some light backpacking. The Asolos are also compatible with crampons in case you want to do some ice climbing/scaling. Danner is USA made and look to be great boots, but they're also predominantly hiking. Weight on the Asolos and Danner Light II GTX look to be the same, but think the Asolos are the better all-purpose buy.

Personally, I like the Asolo TPS 520 GVs or the Lowa Renegade GTXs. The Asolos provide a solid, stable platform for both hiking and backpacking, where the the Lowas are mostly hiking with some light backpacking. The Asolos are also compatible with crampons in case you want to do some ice climbing/scaling. Danner is USA made and look to be great boots, but they're also predominantly hiking. Weight on the Asolos and Danner Light II GTX look to be the same, but think the Asolos are the better all-purpose buy.

Thanks for the input. Also my price on the Mtn Lights are about $120.

• 2 weeks later...
Merrill boots, extra socks, Gerber 06, Camelback Cloudwalker pack with two sammiches, 4 liters in the water sack, a 2 liter bottle of water in reserve, my Vibram 5fingers, and a few candy bars. And stack of dunkin donuts napkins in case I need to.... well.. you know...
Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

Recently picked up some of the UST Wetfire tinder. Saw it in in Schrei Wolf's post. This stuff is pretty cool.

I also bought a Gerber / Bear Grylls fire steel which surprisingly doesn't suck.

• 1 month later...
I have an Alps Mystique 1 tent that I picked up for very cheap and have used for some solo backpacking. It's kept me dry through an entire night of rain before, but I'm planning to use it this summer for motorcycle camping and would like to add some additional water protection. What sprays / treatments / seam sealers for tents do you guys recommend?

Nikwax water proofing for the surface, and either Gear Aid's Seam Grip or their Sil-Net Silicon Seam Sealer for the seams themselves. Personally, I like the Seam Grip.

Both seam sealers are messy and you need to let them dry completely before packing, otherwise they may self-stick...not good. If you have to pack them before they're fully cured, lightly dust them with talc powder. Powder will keep them from sticking together and will eventually wear off.

• 5 weeks later...
Last weekend I went camping and hiking in the Hocking Hills in SE Ohio. Beautiful country down there, and the roads are awesome to drive on. The surrounding area reminded of Kentucky and east Tennessee, but in the park there were caves and rock features that are quite unique, and some gorges that reminded me of upstate NY / Watkins Glen. Very cool place.

• 2 weeks later...

I took this picture on my trip 2 weeks ago. This was by far the best campsite I have ever had. We could hear the Snow Creek Falls in the background and had an amazing view of Half Dome.http://legacygt.com/forums/

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z453/rljohnso1601/DSC_0231.jpg

I took this picture on my trip 2 weeks ago. This was by far the best campsite I have ever had. We could hear the Snow Creek Falls in the background and had an amazing view of Half Dome.http://legacygt.com/forums/

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z453/rljohnso1601/DSC_0231.jpg

SO JEALOUS. :mad:

• 2 months later...

Here's some photos from last week at Great Sand Dunes National Park, Colorado.

1st pic is of our tent in Piñon Flats campground near the base of the dunes. 2nd pic is looking at the dunes / Sangre De Cristo Mtns from near Zapata Falls. 3rd pic is from the top of the High Dune, ~700' above the San Luis Valley floor.

gsdnp1.JPG.b410ae29e18400b6692c576649f438af.JPG

gsdnp3.JPG.1508ead0b2bcf64e9fe65cc990581f3a.JPG

gsdnp2.JPG.e4c51a4a2e5a3b65d260bf310746e5a4.JPG

^ very very nice man. What tent is that? Looks like mountain hardwear poles..

Thanks! It's an REI Taj 3. The poles are DAC Featherlite, which I believe are also used on Mountain Hardwear tents. Good eye.

I have been impressed with REI's warranty for other items. My experience has been "no questions asked" other than what is wrong with it. They put it in a bin and tell you to go grab a new one.

^ Yep. Hopefully, moving to Greenville-area will put us back in proximity to REI. I can spend all day in their stores and still go back on weekends to see more stuff. :lol:

Living in San Diego, we had access to two really large REI stores within a 20-minute drive of us. Spent many hours looking at, talking to the knowledgeable staff, and choosing/mixing my gear sets.

Just started taking the family trail hiking this summer. I've lived in New Hampshire most of my life. The mountains and countryside here are absolutely breath taking. I don't have any fancy gear to share, only a few photos

1497676_4628804735671_6214793043371401408_n.thumb.jpg.9dd24227371e6f84dad4d6e2d89aafcb.jpg

1509940_4628804935676_8295370017597891245_n.jpg.2d895f65d1ba2d1b0c1cad1ddc0e4485.jpg

10543200_4389489432938_808279830_o.thumb.jpg.66c71f318010c4f67c3ce413e70a7d16.jpg

10557616_4427125853825_1461996762532743748_o.thumb.jpg.1cd6a4f32992ee6e0f9ed884be8fbb94.jpg

Just started taking the family trail hiking this summer. I've lived in New Hampshire most of my life. The mountains and countryside here are absolutely breath taking. I don't have any fancy gear to share, only a few photos

Hey, most important is to enjoy the outdoors in my opinion, whether you have fancy gears or not. Where is this by the way?

Archived