LegacyGT.com

So what's your backpacking style?

SBT

That's what I'm talkin' about. :cool:

My wife and I did the Big SEKI loop in 2015 - What an incredible experience! Views like the above pretty much all the time. Being out for multiple weeks has a totally different feeling from shorter trips.

We did a shorter loop that brought us around Sawtooth and it was uhhh-mazing. Alpine lakes, Sierra sunsets, black bears, mountains, beautiful trees. We saw maybe two other people the whole time.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Just got back from 5 days in and around Yosemite. Absolutely beautiful, but of course very crowded. Trip highlights for me were Glacier Point, wine tasting, and lunch at The Ahwahnee. This was a family trip with wife and kiddo, and we met up with some old friends who also have 2 little ones, one only 10 weeks old! The last time I saw this friend neither of us had kids or were married, so there was a lot of catching up to do.

It was a blast overall, great to see old friends, and super awesome to take kiddo on another camping trip.

Side note - kiddo took his first few solo steps on the trip!! So this one will have a special place in my memory banks for the rest of my life. :)

uc?export=download&id=0B-UztBa2TnPBS0NBZXB3ZHlmamJXb3hPeHFjRzFiZmVHRWlz

uc?export=download&id=0B-UztBa2TnPBdFpULWpDSnkyc1dLUlZ5aEFpVTdPbEJWNGZv

uc?export=download&id=0B-UztBa2TnPBcG5rd2ptVUlxRlE

uc?export=download&id=0B-UztBa2TnPBT3hmNkZBb2RYdEF4emJxaHNZdWtscGNESFQw

Just got back from 5 days in and around Yosemite. Absolutely beautiful, but of course very crowded. Trip highlights for me were Glacier Point, wine tasting, and lunch at The Ahwahnee. This was a family trip with wife and kiddo, and we met up with some old friends who also have 2 little ones, one only 10 weeks old! The last time I saw this friend neither of us had kids or were married, so there was a lot of catching up to do.

It was a blast overall, great to see old friends, and super awesome to take kiddo on another camping trip.

Side note - kiddo took his first few solo steps on the trip!! So this one will have a special place in my memory banks for the rest of my life. :)

It's beautiful there, and glad you had a great outing. These are the days and times when memories are made, then replayed countless times, enriched by additive memories. Your kiddo will someday soon associate those pictures with events in his pre-memory life. The conitive replay will logically connects the timeline dots. Enjoy it all.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

It really is a special place, but IMO the best of Yosemite is outside of the valley. I'm a backpacker, and I very much enjoy solitude and getting away from the crowds. Once you get out of the valley, the crowds die out pretty fast.

^ The whole reason for backpacking, IMHO, get away from everything, the crowds and the clutter, and get out where it's simple, clean and refreshing. Nothing better than smelling fresh air tinged with everygreen fragrances, and to watch/listen to wildlife in its own element.

• 1 year later...

Katahdin. A great place to hike. Raw and unrefined. Did you do the loop?

Taught our youth group about day-packing and hiking on Katahdin.

WOfp7FN.jpg

We did the loop with a bit of a spur onto the Howe Peaks. With the weather that day, it was otherworldly.

The hike itself is not extremely difficult or extremely long, it's the approach (by car) that really gets ya.

Takes as long to get there as it does to climb, but if those pictures are any indication, it was typical Maine weather for this time of year at Katahdin.

Did you stop and have lunch or late dinner in Millinocket? Cute little town.

You also have the same intrusive igneous granite geology on Mt Desert (Pronounced Dessert) Island in Acadia, but you can hike or drive to the summit there.

JF1GG29: Love the "clouds rolling through" photo. Raw, indeed! I've often heard trails on the east coast are more rugged like this. Never hiked there though.

Got a few more hikes under the ol' belt since last posts. The Humphreys Basin trip was really cool. 4 days, mostly off trail, LOTS of snow left (in mid-July) which made for challenging-in-a-fun-way conditions.

fGrxAMnC1lJvMc2SKq-eDyuKYdIp4jLFQggeCjSgVrG-bEeYI3eFkHcNGt-AGWe17tNUTvI8b_N6i3BGTt7kIgj83UTytdbW.thumb.jpg.71874d44cf3368a4b06f29cfd8c0a286.jpg

HpJug18X2ebLZNE1Y7-0kdxjJsKKWuVhxS-kiQB-CRjvTNDX2wv4TsafThxx3u0QUQb0hR0x7LgVLKHhqL7vY9cCwCrIW7kb.thumb.jpg.8dcc23494ef1a09e0cb5c2e845fec4a1.jpg

RecFjYoKFZ4oNoGSXLU_EZRnhBXd_Z2ZicAdDfPIoLbhrqtHr64c9AgVGiJw5gLQTmAYBHG04-ZP0pH2h_xWLxkrpUmOj1WM.thumb.jpg.f03680e4c4ae2a2458be2f7dc8edf59a.jpg

Then we took a little trip out to the Big Sur area.

Y9g1KkyesrdGolYiTT1mcqqu_wf_lpQbci3D2sFReHV0RpdfsIdnVRBfqtRbfqqJu7K0zIMz9XPf-uTy7eFyQnndAWQuAb7B.thumb.jpg.2671e5241b2dd907ed87a638fae277f2.jpg

hC3UP_3uGCi7fVIMp8BCf3fiSrQgWUvXAZtC_ra-Nng2mNVZD6lj-K6FxJaRaRjos21fYgqKnNM_L-35Q4zk0xZbjdH49imV.thumb.jpg.8174c276a1cc317d73036e1782c925df.jpg

Then, in January of this year, we hit up some of the Gene-Marshall Piedra Blanca trail in southern Los Padres Nat'l Forest. It was COLD.

WZYGn0mMegBS-DSp5k7IRKvvhLwGsRe6_jThqo9bYTu_66r3DRYDZUzTkwNXRxMfcl1-XKO2-phPskKM1AzrA15UBU_USq6n.thumb.jpg.7f7b18e6170894adb7e47dc857bdb516.jpg

XRzChrlSaaHeNhnYcDknDGsZ5VjRrPd7ugN64VQOIX3t4mS1g1ClVo-Q2NEV1XdnPFmbwXhU5Oz5FUI_GPK97U-dqb6ph64j.thumb.jpg.fb0a31e88340ab45168824bac3c237ee.jpg

TF1HqAAURflJ4I4oWCyQE-bfWRKKQJ3LFyUNJZJzORBiMPTYsCfi3Q5ehYQQPQPRm5FDRCVjTAMe-0jfYz6VTYJiXtZFF8EP.thumb.jpg.cf06196da0fe3bcf0da4cd0d26338608.jpg

This is my buddy's new van. Started with a 4WD turbo diesel Sprinter, did everything but the pop top himself. It is awesome.

hICi6KD_RoOZtFROo9bT5kuoF7lP4udDyemgxVqKAC4PLWPUx4R3Tq3MSdiGkrQKW9CS_o7P5pVLRgwepansp31dqUMph10w.thumb.jpg.e2dd37adb94ebd6b5d312929912e7c46.jpg

And the bro-in-law's STi. Something very poetic about the Pearl White in a dusting of snow...

Then we did a quick trip out to Henry Coe SP for the 10th annual Gathering of Gear Geeks :)

k8Snap7PPG3IlLwfUYUQYeZYc71JlJHJdSNtgPfzylIuKLvTbKmFXhXZWLgxe3PzMtDFB-PtQYTBY1JvyLjoCjjj9rgrRCYP.thumb.jpg.a361414bf95d5c7007aa66c2aec1f3e7.jpg

2J0x9JDEhLtPxg0mjnXeN3D1xgH8n8jumbJ4tFD-ASrV22ScEh2GIwUkCcaPj4qJcAA2GPxCTYYUbrQI7JsqB3-_h7ZDwlqx.thumb.jpg.d89067ac684290ebc793c6b42c500ac5.jpg

Next trip was another one out in LPNF, this time near Santa Barbara.

ecpzzYhRQ2tC2R0hynoGz7SBtcNli9ydwPPZzDLYnqgnQtx420Jz3TIyRB2oJZilS6ZRIQzb4t-ilNaGBs7__16YYQa94bgX.thumb.jpg.c15851cdd6607ffd7cb6165f7e9b81be.jpg

iJAuo2LmLtI7WzBqr1ym_fkvGhOaV0fC1ERWw9L9NvPa3-dMoODsgrWJ46_lC6bhgEDMEdGvzc2ai3_7IzuPo53jOmbEGbcy.thumb.jpg.f3c424f206cbd333d67ea276c8e314ae.jpg

T4fcTvEzAq-Y5GZmpQ5Eekj7plvznbuqfot_d-Zvxxq6iX5VJv82uenq8bBC1I5qqbeSEL9T-F_mY-yG2OY7PRrwXDT4P4ZQ.thumb.jpg.d32d25baa5925b965c3a62d3dd7b56db.jpg

Next trip planned is in a couple weeks - Dinkey Lakes Wilderness up in the Sierra Nevada - CANT WAIT! Been too long since the last walk!

fox212: Aw man, the pics aren't working. Any chance you can update the links? I did a quick google search of Humphreys Basin and it looks GORGEOUS.

SBT: We had dinner in Millinocket, basically first place on the road -- Big Moose Inn or something like that. Nice place, cold beers, enough said! What really impressed me about the topography around Katahdin are the glacial cirques and the (very) poor quality of the rock. I felt like a decent earthquake would knock down its elevation significantly. Eventually, I'd like to go back and snowboard one of couloirs on the headwall, but the approach from the gatehouse would make this type of trip a multi-day affair. Eventually!

We had a substantial earthquake right after we arrived in Maine (Bangor) from Japan. I was mowing the lawn and everything started to rattle, shake and rock (definitely a roller). We didn't think much of it since we were literally fresh from 3 years in Japan were 6.5 and 7.0+ was not uncommon.

IIRC it was a 5.6 or 5.7 Richter scale event and intensity was Level VII which originated just across the border in New Brunswick. It was felt all across Maine, but Central Maine was like a collector. Also, IIRC, several ridges with geology similar to Katahdin were affected by that temblor.

Cool story. Really. I didn't know that there was regular seismic activity in Maine.

Surprised us too.

Moved from SoCal which was seismic-activity rich, to coastal SoCar and found that the Cooper River resides on a major fault (no surprise) that is number 1 on the USGS prediction list to have a 7.0+ seismic event in the near (relative geologically me thinks) future. Woke up to a 4.0 the morning after a flight from SoCal... WTH?

BOT - I'm hopeful that when the weather cools, I can get out on some of the upstate trails. There's a lot of Appalachian trails and spurs about 45 mins from me

I'm hopeful that when the weather cools, I can get out on some of the upstate trails. There's a lot of Appalachian trails and spurs about 45 mins from me

How is the knee and how did PT go?

Knee is a bit hinky, from sitting way to much doing forensic accounting stuff - think 100s of spreadsheets all linked to hundreds more - so I haven't worked it much lately. The surgery was a complete success and PT went well. Just need to get out and work it.

Hopefully, when the weather cools, I'll be done with the accounting drill-downs and ready for some trail time.

fox212: Aw man, the pics aren't working. Any chance you can update the links? I did a quick google search of Humphreys Basin and it looks GORGEOUS.

Ok, I tried updating the links in the quickest way possible. Let me know if you can see the pics now. Embedding photos from Google Photos is ridiculously hit or miss. So frustrating.:spin:

Archived