LegacyGT.com

So what's your backpacking style?

SBT

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Straight through highway drive with a couple dog pee stops, and people food breaks. Now we're in Ontario, near Kingston, for a family reunion. We'll head home Sunday. We expect about a 10 hour drive.

And we did the return trip in 8:45. Hound dog was amazing!

Nice photos. Do miss kayaking. Thinking about another one, though nothing like my VCP Skerrey - that was 17' of open ocean goodness.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Take the ferry over to Winter Harbor if you have a chance. Good eating, quiet little lobster village, and nice ambiance.

• 9 months later...

Not much. I'm in PT, again, so hopefully will be through with this and back outside.

Looking at my gear the other day and was sad that it's not getting used.

I'm not sure what your range of motion is like, but one thing that helped me to get back to >90% was doing a lot of yoga. The low-level usage and stretching did my ankle and ligaments wonders. When I stop doing it for a couple of weeks, I notice the difference. You might want to consider committing to doing it regularly to see how it affects you. I believe a lot of people do yoga for recovery and therapy these days.

Plus, I didn't really mind being in a room full of relatively fit women.

Thanks, that's a great suggestion. Quads, Gluts and Ab/Aductors are out of whack. Swimming will help this and the pool will be opened this weekend, so will see how it goes.

:lol: - fit women...not sure I'm ready for that just yet.

Got out to Henry Coe SP for a couple nights back in April. Great spot for a quick trip in fall, winter, or spring. Gets pretty hot and dry in the summer though.

uc?export=download&id=0B-UztBa2TnPBeDZWY2RVcGctVlhOa2RvdzNHUFRRRElMdkdv

uc?export=download&id=0B-UztBa2TnPBZjUzM3ZlQzFuQVk

uc?export=download&id=0B-UztBa2TnPBY1RIQmt0QTdEVnpWNzZrNU1VSEdjWl9LOU53

uc?export=download&id=0B-UztBa2TnPBOEhSenVybUlWVFU

It's been a pretty good year for me hiking-wise. Been on 4 trips so far, and have at least 3 more planned. Since being officially diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis I have re-prioritized some things in my life, and backpacking my butt off before I can't anymore is now very high on the list. I've been wanting to backpack at least every month for a year straight, but haven't accomplished that yet. I got Jan-April this year, but it looks like May is going to slip through my grasp. :spin:

Got a new shelter and pack recently, and am very happy with both. In previous years I went pretty deep down the ultralight rabbit hole, but this year I added a couple pounds back in for the sake of comfort: large pad, actual pillow, framed pack, more robust cook kit, etc. In the end, I'm glad to carry the extra couple pounds for the enjoyment they add to my trip. Honestly I don't even notice the extra weight. Here's my gear list for anyone interested:

Fox212's Gear List

My kind of backpacking style?

Cabin with electricity, running (hot and cold) water and a decent shower.

Or an RV with those things.

Being in a tent and having to go to the bathroom outside in the middle of the night? No chance.

I won't camp with out easy access to a bath house, with a hot shower. I'm NOT a minimalist - more of a wimp. But at least I camp. Or glamp. Or whatever you want to call it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As long as you're getting out and enjoying yourself, it's all good! I love everything from cabins to RV's to car camping to backpacking...I just really like getting out to beautiful places with friends and family.

We're going to Yosemite next week with a travel trailer and our 11-month old, meeting up with some long time friends who also have lil' babes. It'll be our boy's third camping trip - he loves it so far! :)

Then in July I'm taking a couple of coworkers on a backpacking trip across Humphreys Basin in the Eastern Sierra Nevada. Should be interesting!

And I never roll without TP ;) Good eye, list updated

I love a minimal backcountry trip. You can get to some incredible places and have it all to yourself.

For example, a day's hike in SeKi will get you here (not my pic):

http://i.imgur.com/2adWKgw.jpg

I love a minimal backcountry trip. You can get to some incredible places and have it all to yourself.

That's what I'm talkin' about. :cool:

My wife and I did the Big SEKI loop in 2015 - What an incredible experience! Views like the above pretty much all the time. Being out for multiple weeks has a totally different feeling from shorter trips.

If you have a floorless shelter, you don't even have to get out for #1. If your floorless shelter is large enough, same goes for #2. :eek::cool:

Dude, gross! Are you saying pee and poop in the tent on the ground!?!

Come on!

Archived