LegacyGT.com

So what's your backpacking style?

SBT

Beautiful picture! What a shame... if it were a GT, it could've made the calendar :lol:

Just weighed my backpack last night with 3L water, hammock, stove, camera gear, and clothes for 2 nights. 26lbs but I still need dehydrated food, a trowel, propane for the stove, and sunscreen/bugspray/first aid

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That sounds reasonable. FWIW, I carry white gas for my stove, though I can use propane, when I'm going off the grid. It provides a ready fuel if I have to get something burning now in bad weather. And the MSR fuel bottles can also be repurposed if need be.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

That sounds reasonable. FWIW, I carry white gas for my stove, though I can use propane, when I'm going off the grid. It provides a ready fuel if I have to get something burning now in bad weather. And the MSR fuel bottles can also be repurposed if need be.

This, except with my Brunton Bantam.

Let us know how well that works. Interested in the efficacy and longevity of the charging system.

I have been using the biolite for a year now. works great as a camp stove, boils fast, needs to be fed fairly regularly depending on the type of fuel (I am generally using softer evergreen woods that burn fairly quickly). Its a bit heavier than a small iso-butane stove with one fuel canister, but lighter than a white gas stove with one bottle of fuel.

The charging function works great, although I haven't really needed to charge many things on 2-4 day backpacking trips. As for the capacity, it held a charge over a winter of no use. The product is only a year old, but I know the designer and what went into the process, so I have a pretty high level of confidence in it's longevity. And worst case the cogeneration/battery/fan module is a separate piece and could be replaced if need be.

this is my new jam for backpacking stoves. no fuel required. still requires a bit of the art of fire building.

http://www.biolitestove.com/

Looks like the Emberlit and Powerpot combined into one doomsday unit...

I don't understand the fascination with energy producing cooking systems, solar power is more efficient in every way.

Looks like the Emberlit and Powerpot combined into one doomsday unit...

I don't understand the fascination with energy producing cooking systems, solar power is more efficient in every way.

Well gee, I certainly hope so. The fact that the stove produces any power AT ALL is pretty damn impressive. The by-product of everything that happens in this world is heat. When you talk, you produce soundwaves which create friction with other air molecules, which then give off heat as the by-product. The fact that a stove-- something that's sole purpose is to provide heat-- reverses this process and creates electrical energy is just astounding in itself. While I'm sure it's nothing more than a wheel spinning a small alternator, it's impressive nonetheless.

And FYI, solar panels are probably the most inefficient device whose sole purpose is to create electricity. By any stretch of the imagination, 23% is considered terrible.

Well gee, I certainly hope so. The fact that the stove produces any power AT ALL is pretty damn impressive. The by-product of everything that happens in this world is heat. When you talk, you produce soundwaves which create friction with other air molecules, which then give off heat as the by-product. The fact that a stove-- something that's sole purpose is to provide heat-- reverses this process and creates electrical energy is just astounding in itself. While I'm sure it's nothing more than a wheel spinning a small alternator, it's impressive nonetheless.

And FYI, solar panels are probably the most inefficient device whose sole purpose is to create electricity. By any stretch of the imagination, 23% is considered terrible.

Uh, I never said it wasn't impressive. I'm thrilled to see new innovations, it keeps the competitive market alive.

A mobile solar charge with no maintenance is all I need, just set it and forget it.

The unit primarily produces electricity to drive a fan, which increases the efficiency and starting time of fire. the extra charging capacity is a bonus. the electricity is not created by a little wheel spinning an alternator, it is created through thermoelectric generation.

http://www.biolitestove.com/campstove/camp-overview/how-it-works/#sub

The unit primarily produces electricity to drive a fan, which increases the efficiency and starting time of fire. the extra charging capacity is a bonus. the electricity is not created by a little wheel spinning an alternator, it is created through thermoelectric generation.

http://www.biolitestove.com/campstove/camp-overview/how-it-works/#sub

I saw that last night, but it says "patent pending" so they're not going to tell you exactly how it works until they've acquired a patent. What they show is just a small thing that magically creates electricity. Regardless, I'd be interested to know exactly how it works

• 2 weeks later...

Fun thread to read! I'm def not a backpacker, so I'll limit my comments. Here is where I'll be in two weeks, and here is a picture from a couple of years ago with our WAY overloaded FXT (everything on the exhaust side of the tray got burned- hilarious experience)

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/19/umyra5e3.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/19/zapy4e3e.jpg

Fun thread to read! I'm def not a backpacker, so I'll limit my comments. Here is where I'll be in two weeks, and here is a picture from a couple of years ago with our WAY overloaded FXT (everything on the exhaust side of the tray got burned- hilarious experience)

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/19/umyra5e3.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/19/zapy4e3e.jpg

:eek: Did you use some kind of overload springs?

JJ - really like that part of the St Lawrence. Have actually camped at Rivière-du-Loup during one of our big camping trips.

Loaded doesn't begin to describe the picture :lol:. Was this mounted on a Class III (2" receiver) or Class I (1.25" receiver) hitch? If Class I, that must have looked really funny (and likely scary) to someone following your rig.

We use one of theseLGA All-Terrain Sport Trailers and it's a perfect fit and ride with it loaded to the brim.

This is what we look like when we're camp-traveling, and alternatively, sometimes with the VCP Skerrey Kayak on top.

1940825601_Wagonw-boxandegg.thumb.JPG.7d04d0b54ca0de10df85e42d5ab99308.JPG

In 9 days I'll be taking our new FXT cross country to Colorado Springs, then to Aspen where I'll be hiking on the four-pass loop

Have fun with that.

Oh, it was a Class I. Yes, idiots :)

I love the trailer in your pic. Last summer we pulled a flat bed trailer with the '11 forester. It did really well. This year we have more people and more gear, so a friend is driving. We're hauling jet ski's, a kayak and tons of other stuff. There will be 9 of us on 2 riverfront neighboring sites.

I've never camped as far up river as Riviere-du-Loup. Last summer we were at Long Sault Parkway, but the previous 4 summers and this summer we're on Wellesley Island -Thousand Island region. I love it there.

JJ - really like that part of the St Lawrence. Have actually camped at Rivière-du-Loup during one of our big camping trips.

Loaded doesn't begin to describe the picture :lol:. Was this mounted on a Class III (2" receiver) or Class I (1.25" receiver) hitch? If Class I, that must have looked really funny (and likely scary) to someone following your rig.

We use one of theseLGA All-Terrain Sport Trailers and it's a perfect fit and ride with it loaded to the brim.

This is what we look like when we're camp-traveling, and alternatively, sometimes with the VCP Skerrey Kayak on top.

This is a very nice trailer. Not cheap though. Hard to believe this can hold up to 5 bikes!

5 bikes, plus whatever other gear, packs/hydration kits, food, gear of all shapes and sizes that you want to pack-in around and on top of the bikes.

And price, yeah, they're not cheap, but they're well-made and tough as nails. We managed to score this one (had been looking to buy new) very lightly used, for about half of new cost, in SoCal and brought it with us. For what we do, and the number of people that typically go camping with us (10-20), this holds everything, We've yet to overload it, weightwise. It holds our entire base camp.

VCP Skerrey on top. With two big storage ports and cruising capability, I'm looking to do some coastal cruising this summer. Just need to find another to tag along for safety purposes. Figure I'll cruise, then backpack in to some of the barrier islands around here. Should be fun.

297570484_SkerrayRMXontopfromleftfrontside(800x600)cropped.JPG.0175f343fc834b9769421e6a5d932b30.JPG

1633554241_SkerrayRMXontopfromleftrearside(800x600)cropped.JPG.41ef7267f955565a3f0fd892ac2a09a3.JPG

Archived