LegacyGT.com

So what's your backpacking style?

SBT

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like lightweight. I think seeing how much I don't need and how light my pack can get is a fun challenge. But I'm far from a minimalist. Some of those guys are crazy.

I have a Kelty Coyote pack and think its top notch for what I do. its a few years old so it's not exactly "Top of the line" but I have used it 1000's of times so I couldn't bring myself to get another one yet.

I take what I need. 20 years ago, it was common to see blizzard conditions in the Sierras May thru Sept. So I was always ready for that. About 5 years ago, I noticed I hadn't seen weather in awhile, so I stopped taking a tent and a bunch of clothes. I'll probably eventually get caught in a storm and freeze to death.

^ Philosophically (and as a "be prepared" Boy Scout), I look at every trip through the risk lense. I try to assess weather, terrain, climate, and wildlife, and plan accordingly.

The one thing I don't "scrimp" on, is proper clothing - you can always take it off, but if you don't have it with you, you can't put it on. That's from the top of my head to the bottom of my feet. Like you, I've been caught out in some heavy weather, in one case a downpour that turned into a white-out at 8K feet, but I was prepared and could hunker-down until it was clear enough to dig out and head home. Love the outdoors - don't spend enough time in it, but I'm hoping to change that this year.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• Moderators

I'm a car-camper, just the way I grew up :)

When I fly fish I vary my setups depending on how much ground I plan to cover--different than straight up backpacking, I know. More or less, the bigger the water I'm fishing the more gear I'll carry. For big water (i.e. hydro dams) I'll carry multiple fly boxes, maybe two rods (floating and sinking line), a wading staff, and I'll probably be wearing waders, a vest, and possibly a backpack. On a much smaller creek I'll have my 6' long 2 wt, a pair of nippers, a pair of forceps (helps to keep from injuring small fish) a small box of flies, and a spool of tippet and everything will fit in my fishing shirt/shorts--I'll either wear my keens or wading boots with neoprene 'socks' and I'll hike as far as I can go in half a day or so and then come back.

I'm with SBT though, don't spend nearly enough time outdoors. Hopefully as my son gets a bit older we'll be able to start enjoying stuff together. I look forward to that :)

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Were you a Boy Scout as well SBT? I went out to New mexico and packed wisely light for a 10 day/105 mile hike. I never realized how cold it got above 10,000ft in July. Still had enough to stay warm. Rain was a bigger issue to me. I had a bad experience at a young age so I'm gun shy about being caught in the rain if its going to be cool.

Yeah - BSA for sure.

Probably the best advice you can give anyone heading out is to make sure they understand how everything works, that they've used it in real conditions beforehand and know how much time, and what it takes to set it up and take it down. Pack your stuff the way you'll use it - nothing like digging to the bottom of a big pack for something that should have been on the top.

BMB - love to fly fish, just haven't done it in forever. Last time, I think was about 1995 in the Sierras. Favorite rod is a Scottish one given to me by a fishing buddy in Maine before we left for Cali. It's probably the best balanced and most sensitive fly rod I've ever used - can feel a tiny minnow pull on it in fast water.

Inexperience is a killer. But I think its necessary to get all your gear soaked, get caught in the wrong place at the wrong time, in order to get full knowledge and respect for the outdoors.

I don't know. I've been caught in major wind and snow storms in the right gear, and still managed to gain respect for it. You don't have to get shot to learn respect for firearms.

I don't backpack too often anymore, but enjoy it when vacationing or when able to. I do however, use packs quite frequently to organize gear. Being LE, I tend to use multifunctional gear, that I can use at work or off duty. I've been a fan of the Camelback Motherlode 500D which I don't own but I have used a few times. ATS RAID 2, is a pack I use primarily to keep my helmet and misc SWAT items for a quick call out, also have traveled abroad with it.

I recently got into Eberlestock, got their X3 pack in today. The quality of that pack surpasses the reviews I've read, and they have a good line of non-LE/Mil for those that don't need MOLLE attachment, or a rifle scabbard. Construction is fairly light considering what it is, and definitely better suited for weight and a hike, as it was very comfortable wearing around the house after loading about 30lbs in it. As far as a quick light day pack, Grey Ghost Gear, make reasonably priced very light weight packs. The interior is made with a fabric similar to ripstop nylon found in a tent. I've put mine through some fairly rough abuse, and been very pleased by its performance and durability.

As far as style in what I carry, typically try to reduce weight, though always tend to pack more than I think I would need. Boyscouts showed me that if I didn't pack it, I would need it. I always try to have adequate amounts of clothing, water, and cliff bars (peanut butter crunch typically). I normally keep my ENO hammock if I need a place to stay, a small blanket (separate from medical emergency blanket). Always have a first aid kit, and a flask of something sterile. Two knives, one pocket knife (currently a zero tolerance 0350) on my person, and a larger camp knife such as a Gerber ASEK LMF 2 on the pack, which I've used plenty of times to cut kindling and such. Also keep flashlights, and a strobe, as well as iridescent fabric and a whistle in my bag in case of emergency. I don't hunt, so I have never had to plan around carrying a rifle, though always have something in case of large predatory animals. I always carry 15 feet of 8mm climbing rope, and 50' of 550 paracord to affix the hammock or gear.

Possibly one of the greatest additions to my pack has been a 6' strip of 1" webbing with a carabiner on each end. It is called a Dragster Strap, made by Emdom, it has been immensely helpful as a fast and easy way to secure gear or anything, within it's means.

As far as the "bail out bag" goes, cater your BOB to your environment, and you. Any structurally secure bag will suffice, but it'll vary from instance to instance. I keep a smaller old LL Bean PVC lined duffle bag in my trunk with just about anything I would need in a pinch to either get me home, or keep me sustained for a day or so.

can anyone recommend a good bug out bag/accessories?

or should i make a new thread? :confused:

Probably would be a good thread to start.

Since its only two of us plus the dog right now, we have the minimal basics in our BOB-

Food and water for a few days, above average first aid kit, light sticks, room for clothes and various tools (combo gas valve/hydrant wrench, hatchet/small sharp implements.)

We live in a fairly urban area with large easily accessible water sources so our BOB is more a shelter in place/move if we have to setup.

That is a good deal! I might have to snatch that up while I still can.

My backpack (TNF Terra 45) arrived last night. I just tried it on and adjusted the straps, but its amazing how well it contours to your body. It doesn't feel like there's anything on your back

I have a 20 deg TNF sack as well.... Two actually. Scooped them up on a deal a few years back. Great bag. Stuffs snuggly. Light weight. :thumbsup:

But yeah, this is a great deal for a what appears to be a good bag. I only have experience with Mt. Hardware in terms of outer wear, but im sure the bag is also quality.

I have a couple of MH bits, mostly jackets, boots, and kit bags. They make good stuff and that's a great price for one of their bags. I typically need an XL for length and width so that won't work for me.

One of the reasons I like the Big Agnes System Bags, is that their thermal pad slides into a sleeve in the bottom of the bag so your pad will always be between you and the ground. The thermal pad rolls up to the size of a jar of peanuts and the sleeping bag is equally small, both together take-up < .75 CF total space.

can anyone recommend a good bug out bag/accessories?

or should i make a new thread? :confused:

are you a prepper?

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

BMB - love to fly fish, just haven't done it in forever. Last time, I think was about 1995 in the Sierras. Favorite rod is a Scottish one given to me by a fishing buddy in Maine before we left for Cali. It's probably the best balanced and most sensitive fly rod I've ever used - can feel a tiny minnow pull on it in fast water.

Fiberglass or Cane? Mine is 9 foot Edwards quadrate. I can catch minnows on it:)

It's old as the hills, but then, so am I:eek:

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

• Moderators
I have several graphite rods (the new stuff) and a small collection of bamboo rods that I don't use much, the nicest being a decent granger so nothing crazy. My brother has an older fiberglass rod--it's heavy as hell, but once you get it going you can throw the thing a mile.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Archived