LegacyGT.com

So what's your backpacking style?

SBT

just got back from glacier national park in montana. was an absolutely incredible place, but we got rained on for about 38 hours straight, so we unfortunately had to cut the loop short. still made it about 18 miles into the back country, but after wet tents, endlessly waterlogged boots, washed out clay trails that were hard as shit to walk, and not a single hot meal, we were ready to turn around. still had an amazing experience and spent the last two days trout fishing in the streams and lakes.

my pack ended up being about 27 pounds w/o water (that's dry, i'm guessing about 30+ after everything was soaked down by the middle of day two) which was definitely manageable. all in all it was an incredible time. but i'm still taking in calories like there's no tomorrow.

that country is massively huge, and pics don't ever do justice without any sense of scale...

IMG_20130804_131320_139.thumb.jpg.5e3d93d489559a40f2779de3ec96e742.jpg

i can put anything i want down here?!

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds awesome. Love hiking and camping amidst open vistas and in the presence of huge, craggy mountains.

OAN - what's with the "wet tents"? Was there a tent-failure or was it more of the wrong tent/setup for the situation.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

OAN - what's with the "wet tents"? Was there a tent-failure or was it more of the wrong tent/setup for the situation.

+1. I'd like to know as well actually. FWIW, I've been very happy with our Mountain Hardwear Hammerhead 2. A bit on the heavy side, but great tent for 2.

Yea, I'm curious about the tent issues also. I have a REI Taj 3 and I use a piece of 3-mil plastic drop cloth for a tent footprint. The tent is quite heavy, but I've been out in bad thunderstorms (6+ hours of sustained heavy rain) several times and it kept us dry. 38 hours is really extreme though for average gear.

Anyway, it's cool that you made the most of the trip. I need to get out there! And I know what you mean about the clay trails after a lot of rain. It's just terrible. Even worse when they're horse trails.

+1. I'd like to know as well actually. FWIW, I've been very happy with our Mountain Hardwear Hammerhead 2. A bit on the heavy side, but great tent for 2.

This tent is 25% off at REI.com right now. Seems like a decent deal.

no failure/leaks or anything like that, but packing up a soaked tent while it continues to rain and putting it away wet (two mornings in a row) isn't ideal. not to mention nobody had a rain fly for their pack so moisture was creeping EVERYwhere. so basically we're trying to mop up what moisture we could with damp towels and there was just no escaping the wet after a point. thank god i had dry sacks for my socks, underwear and long johns and some clothes.

and yeah, the clay trails were for horses and hikers alike. rough goin, but i have a feeling working out is going to feel like a joke for the next month or so.

i can put anything i want down here?!

I have Dana-Design pack flys for all my DD packs - ArcFlex Terraplane, Bridger and Bomber, and they're hoodded, so keeping me and the packs dry is pretty easy.

WRT the tent wet issue. There's nothing you can do in a downpour to dry the outside (fly) of the tent off. However, if your tent is like most of mine, I have used my ground footprint and fly to allow me to collapse the tent under the rain fly and roll/dry-store it, and then take down the fly, shake off the excess water from it and the footprint and wet-store those until I'm ready to put it back up again.

If it's still raining when you need to setup your next site, follow the reverse order - ground footprint, rigged with the fly (and vestibules), and then setup the tent under the fly. Inside stays dry, and you're a happ-ier camper. :)

On a completely different note (and certainly style!), we are trying our hand at RV camping later this month. After dropping our daughter off at university, we are driving up the Blue Ridge Parkway/Skyline Drive and are booked at 3 different campgrounds along the way. We decided to RV it rather than set up and break down camp every day. Rented a 31 foot class C. Should be interesting!

We've RV'd before - from NW PA, to Maine, and the Canadian Maritimes, then down the entire East Coast to VA, DC, and then back up the east coast and back to NW PA. We were also in a Class C Motorhome and it was easy and convenient.

We would stop and spend a few days, and day-hike, site-see, swim, etc., each day, for however long we were stopped. About a 3500-mile trip, end-to-end Recommend this mode if you have a long, multi-leg distances to go, a somewhat compact travel window, and want to maximize your down-time between legs.

Agreed, but I've already paid over $2K for the rental itself, then add in gas. The good thing is it's one of the class C cab-over styles with the econovan front end. Not a bus class A, so it should be better on gas. Still, I'm sure it will add up! Plus, my time (not having to set up and rip down camp every day) is worth WAY more!

• 4 weeks later...

BTW - not backpacking, but did have a good time with dutch oven cooking on the Volcano stove last night. Stacked dutch oven cooking is so much fun and the results are amazing. In this case, beef stew, chocolate/cherry cobbler, and homemade biscuits, which were delicious. You can stack the dutch ovens 5-high on the Volcano.

10" Dutch oven with the biscuits went on about 40 minutes after this picture was taken, right on top of the 10" dutch oven for the cherry cobbler, which is sitting on top of 12" dutch oven where the beef stew is, well, stewing.

280770039_CherryCobblerjustwenton-StewisUnderneath.thumb.JPG.562e3c6d0045461be7b4f0246ab626bb.JPG

1396029432_CookingbeefstewandcherrycobblerontheVolcanoStove.thumb.JPG.5211920465c5bf470bc77d17d9b01733.JPG

For suspension I picked up 20 yards of 1" tubular nylon, and some small carabiners. My idea to cut it down into 2 25 ft sections and knotting it every 8-12" and putting a carabiner on each end of the shock cord for the netting suspension so I can attach it to the webbing for the hammock suspension.

At first I read tubular "hose" :lol:. But tubular nylon is pretty lightweight and packs down small, but I think you'd do just as well with 1/4" (or even 3/8") nylon line which would pack down even smaller, be less weight and would be easy to work with the carabiners as tension adjusters.

Here's it set up. The factory carabiners need to go however, lots of sharp edges :/

http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc436/SchreiWolf/20130912_144909_zpsb13c7b92.jpg

http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc436/SchreiWolf/20130912_144919_zps6bd68a01.jpg

I'm currently planning my first overnight backpack trip of the year. Two weekends away. The leaves should be changing up in Northern Michigan by then. Better late than never!

And Schrei Wolf, the hammock looks cool. I know you were saying it's a double hammock. I'm confused about how this would work. It seems like 2 people would just roll into each other in the middle. Getting cozy is fine, but damn, that seems like too much.

Archived