LegacyGT.com

So what's your backpacking style?

SBT

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree - My hands are big-sized, but even that seems like it would be a handful to manage. Didn't understand that last...:confused:

It ordered the optional pouch that you can attach to the sheath, it comes with a plain Altoids tin, I put a scout fire steel, stormproof matches and a wet tinder in it.

Edit: Attached the new carabiners, lighter, no sharp edges and more rope surface.

http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc436/SchreiWolf/20130917_154557_zps716d1325.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

New piece of kit, TNF Mountain Light Tri-climate. GTX shell with a 550 fill down with powerstretch on under the arms and on the sides. One of the upsides of having industry connections. I'm going to test fit it with a Thermoball full zip tomorrow.

For the woman, she got the Suzanne Tri-climate which is quite similar except HyVent instead of GTX, it's a long coat which is great cause she's 6ft, and it's all down. It apparently was really awesome on the Kettle Moraine trip she was on this past weekend with her dad.

• 2 weeks later...
Tent camping next weekend on the Eastern Shore. We're on an electric site, so as cute boy laughs his butt off, I'm bringing a heater for the tent :).

Where exactly are you going to camp? I'll be moving to the D.C area and would love to know your favorite camp sites/wilderness areas within 2-4 hrs drive.

Where exactly are you going to camp? I'll be moving to the D.C area and would love to know your favorite camp sites/wilderness areas within 2-4 hrs drive.

There are SO many options! MD state parks all have a 'tent pad' of fine pebbles and most have decent shower house facilities. From DC, you just head west 1.5 hours and you'll be at the head of Skyline drive. It's fantastic, though many of those campgrounds do not have showers, just toilet facilities. This time, we are heading to the eastern shore to Tuckahoe State Park. I would NEVER camp anywhere in MD from about Memorial Day until maybe mid-September because I hate heat. This is a bit of the opposite extreme - it's been in the 30's here overnight, so it'll be interesting. Glad to hear you are moving to the area. PM me for more info when you are ready!

There are SO many options! MD state parks all have a 'tent pad' of fine pebbles and most have decent shower house facilities. From DC, you just head west 1.5 hours and you'll be at the head of Skyline drive. It's fantastic, though many of those campgrounds do not have showers, just toilet facilities. This time, we are heading to the eastern shore to Tuckahoe State Park. I would NEVER camp anywhere in MD from about Memorial Day until maybe mid-September because I hate heat. This is a bit of the opposite extreme - it's been in the 30's here overnight, so it'll be interesting. Glad to hear you are moving to the area. PM me for more info when you are ready!

thanks for the info. I will certainly PM you when we are there and ready to go camping! We don't mind campsites without shower facilities. In fact, we were living in the Rockies before and were used to go car camping in BLM areas (e.g. around Moab, UT) where there was neither toilet nor shower facilities.

Survived the 40 degree overnight temps - dropped to 50 in the tent. Thank goodness the hound dog decided to snuggle at my feet on the twin size air mattress. Tight quarters, but certainly warm! I think, at least last night, we all slept well. Really beautiful campground and camp sites. We will go again! The shower/bath facilities were immaculate!

Post some pics man.

Our sleeping pads are from a Swedish company called Exped. We use the Synmat model. They are VERY comfy and pretty good at insulating cold temps from the ground. We've used them for temps around 20F. It was OK (combined with a good sleeping bag of course).

You can get the downmat model which is rated for even lower temps.

LOL - we are the worst car campers ever. We were in a $150 Coleman tent from Target. I slept on a twin air mattress, fully loaded with a mattress cover, flannel sheets, a doubled up quilt and an unzipped sleeping bag. Cute boy was on an army style cot with sleeping bag and a couple of wool blankets. We do not have fancy gear. And of course, the camera battery was dead, so no pictures. It was a fun weekend though!

I really like my CascadeDesigns/Therm-a-rest Trail Pro sleeping pad, 2" thick, 4.8 R-value and made in the USA. It was pretty awesome in the hammock on a 40 degree night. I used my Kelty Gal 15 more like a blanket and gave a little space between in and the Trail Pro so I didn't overheat.

LOL - we are the worst car campers ever. We were in a $150 Coleman tent from Target. I slept on a twin air mattress, fully loaded with a mattress cover, flannel sheets, a doubled up quilt and an unzipped sleeping bag. Cute boy was on an army style cot with sleeping bag and a couple of wool blankets. We do not have fancy gear. And of course, the camera battery was dead, so no pictures. It was a fun weekend though!

Dude, as long as you are enjoying the outdoors, that's all that matters really, fancy gears or not.

Before I got my 'fancy' gears, we were camping with a 20 bucks tent and 40 dollar Coleman air mattress from Walmart. Reason why we switched was due to what happened to the air mattress after camping in ~15-20F temps around Zion NP one weekend: after arriving at the camp, I pumped the air mattress, went to heat up some hot cocoa. Then, when it was time to go to bed, the air mattress was flat!! Some seams cracked due to the cold temps. :lol:

That's pretty funny. I can assure you, the odds of me camping when the temps are 15-20 are slim to NONE! My husband's amazed he can get me to go at all, much less than when it's any colder than now.

There's your problem right there...sleeping separately. ;). Camping was meant to be shared and enjoyed...together. Read: Use a single queen-sized air mattress, and heat-leach off each other. Much more enjoyable that way. :)

Singling-up though, I use my BA insulated air core mattress that inserts into the bottom of my sleeping bag - rated to -15*F, so I don't roll-off my pad, and I sleep warm and toasty all night. Coupled with the right down bag, it's an awesome system.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 2 months later...

Only flares I've used, were heavy, military incendiary types. The flare pens, with launcher, certainly would be something I'd carry going off the path.

Shrei - have you used these or known anyone who has. Interested to know how they old up in less than ideal weather?

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I have not. However based on their design, of using primers which are sealed with threaded caps, they seem to be reliable. The body of the launcher is aluminium on the Tru Flare. If you look they have different types of flares as well as bear bangers. The flares apparently store well is 10 rd paintball tubes.

If you have connections in the military the gyro jet flare pen would be ideal because they're designed to penetrate tree canopies better and also have little stabilizing fins.

• 1 month later...
Has anyone ever done any camping in Yosemite? I have a trip planned for June 16 but I'm not sure what sleeping bag I will need. I have one that is rated for 0F but it is larger than I like when packed up. Should I get one that is rated for around 40F? I will be doing the north rim in Yosemite valley if that makes a difference. Just across the valley from Half Dome.

Archived