LegacyGT.com

So what's your backpacking style?

SBT

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just sent my girl an Eno hammock with nylon tubing straps (separate) for her birthday. Go figure, walking down the street in Boone, every two trees have hammocks strung. Though she'd do well to fit in, though at 5'3" she'll have to find some cute boy to help her hang it. :)

Those work similar to my set up but probably a bit lighter, I know my 1" flat webbing is overkill but it's peace of mind. My next upgrade is going to be a pair of these bad boys. That way there is no sharp edges near my webbing and shock cord, as well as save a few ounces. [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EEGBN2/ref=s9_simh_gw_p200_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1GSCWFDZHZQQ7DY6V0NA&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846]Amazon.com: Black Diamond Neutrino Carabiner: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

Best of both worlds- they are up in the mountains. Probably not quite the same as what you like, but they get between 50-100" of snow a year and there are many ski resorts nearby. The campus is the highest school east if the Mississippi (in more ways than one I'm told).

There's a center divide separator so you each have your own "hammock" per se, but it's still cozy.

Sorry, that was supposed to be a question...

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I picked up a SOG Seal Pup Elite (satin finish, plan edge) recently on SteepAndCheap for ~$40. It said it came with a Kydex sheath, but arrived with a nylon one. I don't really care, because the whole carry weight of this system is very light given the amount of utility. It's advertised at 5.4oz; not sure if this includes the sheath. I normally carry a Cold Steel SRK in the woods. It's a brute of a knife, and I highly recommend it for a "survival knife" type blade, but I don't always need that much knife. I'll be taking the Pup out on the trail this coming weekend, we'll see how it does!

Nice knife. Probably more than enough for most "events". For heavy-duty, I still like my Ka-bar 7" tactical, but I'm also considering the S&W SpecOps M9 which looks like it would work equally well. Balance and heft are key IME.

I definitely agree with the heft and balance comment.

The Pup seams massive enough for most tasks. It's light, but not too light for a fixed blade. For example, I have a Kabar Becker BK11 that is a great little knife, but it occupies this weird space in my gear collection. It's fixed, and thick enough at the spine to take some abuse, but it's just not massive / hefty enough for any chopping type tasks which require some mass to be thrown around. So for a knife of that length I usually just carry a folder.

The balance is the only thing about the Pup that I'm wondering about. It's size / weight ratio is one of its selling points, but the handle is so light that it feels a little "blade heavy." Otherwise, it's sharp and seems nicely made. Time will tell.

Esee 6 is a huge knife - tough, but very large for most purposes. How is the 1095 steel holding up? Had read some that the edge can rust and stain

Archived