LegacyGT.com

So what's your backpacking style?

SBT

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Surgery sked for tomorrow at 3:15. RON Thursday night and hopefully home on Friday. I'll ask the doc, before surgery, to make sure I can hike and camp on this leg. It was my last good one. My wife now kids me that I don't have a leg to stand on. :)
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Surgery sked for tomorrow at 3:15. RON Thursday night and hopefully home on Friday. I'll ask the doc, before surgery, to make sure I can hike and camp on this leg. It was my last good one. My wife now kids me that I don't have a leg to stand on. :)

good luck! sorry to hear about your injury, sounds like a nasty one. I can commiserate. I missed the whole last ski season and now am missing this whole backpacking / mtn bike season due to my motorcycle accident. nerve damage is a real bastard. hopefully your injuries are all orthopedic, cuz those bone carpenters can really work miracles these days ;)

Sorry to hear about that SBT. I broke my ankle in about three places and tore every single ligament holding it together taking a fall while bouldering. Just a freak angle when coming off the wall. Recovery took a while, but I hope to get in some hiking and camping this summer/fall. I've gone on a few shorter hikes since the year started, and while I feel it, I think it's manageable. We'll see how it is with a 35# pack on my back.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't give up. Get the surgery, do ALL the PT you can and then some. Heal up, and see what your body can give you a bit at a time. I'll wager that you can still enjoy hiking and camping after all is said and done.

Hope the surgery goes beautifully!

EDIT: After the injury, I was pretty depressed for about a year and started drinking a lot. That was the wrong move. I should've been conditioning my body. Don't do what I did.

• 4 weeks later...

My wife and I will be hiking the Tripyramids in NH this weekend, which will make for our 12th and 13th 4,000 footer in the past 2 years. I picked up an LL Bean AT 35 pack at the end of last season and really like it a lot. Offers more room than the small camelback I was using, and is much more comfortable.

Hoping the weather stays good!

• 4 weeks later...
Retired my TNF Recon and replace it was an Osprey Kestrel 32, love this pack, supports weight way better, integrated rain cover, it can squeeze a 16" into it, nicely sized hip belt pockets, has the trekking pole sling on it too. I can't wait to give it a more in depth test going up to Pictured Rocks, MI on Wednesday.

Heading to camp on Tuesday - tent/car camping, but on the St. Lawrence. Can't wait for my toes to be in the river, where I belong.

We tent-camped (two families-5 kids) at Rivière-du-Loup, then ferried across to Traversier Saint-Siméon where we continued west along the St. Lawrence camping and touring Quebec City, Montreal, and finally Toronto, before we headed west to Chicago and points beyond.

Great trip, enjoyed it all.

Retired my TNF Recon and replace it was an Osprey Kestrel 32, love this pack, supports weight way better, integrated rain cover, it can squeeze a 16" into it, nicely sized hip belt pockets, has the trekking pole sling on it too. I can't wait to give it a more in depth test going up to Pictured Rocks, MI on Wednesday.

I have three (IIRC) Dana Design Pack - a Terraplane, Bomber, and a Salish. I've got a lot of the accessories for them, including the travel duffel, that I can use to transport my fully-packed pack, and rain flys for the Terraplane and the Bomber. Great kit, and they ride like they're not even there, despite what the weight would have you believe.

Like the Osprey packs. Good blend of weight and balance. The Recon is a good pack too.

Look forward to your test review.

How's healing coming along? Doing tons of PT?

Healing is progressing. Two months yesterday since the collapse - Doctors feel that it's healing well-enough to allow weight bearing, and 30* of joint range of motion (locked by the leg brace) for two weeks. So far, so good.

I'm actually able to do limited walking around the house on both legs with crutches only used for balance. I've walked about 1/4 mile - again with crutches for balance - down our drive and back. Can even do stairs now, one step at a time, with the injured leg being my bottom support leg. I'm encouraged; there's been no pain and very little discomfort.

If this 2-week period goes well, then we increase the ROM to 45* for two more weeks, then to 60* and 90* for each of the subsequent 2-weeks periods during September, respectively. The plan is that once I get to 90* ROM, then I'll start physical therapy - most likely in early October. So, about the 4-month point, I should be moved-off the crutches, possibly onto a cane, and into physical therapy, which will include aqua-therapy in the pool.

Wellesley Island State Park, NY, in the thousand island region of the St Lawrence River, on the Canadian border. It's glorious here.

Less than 2 hours straight North of me, and I've only been once. Beautiful area, though. Have a great trip!

Wellesley Island State Park, NY, in the thousand island region of the St Lawrence River, on the Canadian border. It's glorious here.

wow. that's pretty far from MD! Did you guys just use the freeways or some scenic byways to get there? How many stops along the way?

Straight through highway drive with a couple dog pee stops, and people food breaks. Now we're in Ontario, near Kingston, for a family reunion. We'll head home Sunday. We expect about a 10 hour drive.

Archived