LegacyGT.com

So what's your backpacking style?

SBT

No dude - I was just saying a sincere " Have Fun" with that trip. :redface:

I'm actually jealous on two levels. First - ROAD TRIP, and Second - backpacking/hiking/camping... so if you come back without copious pics, I'll be disappointed. Some GPS elevation hits would be nice too

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh! Thanks! :)

Well, then you sir are in luck! I'm a big fan of documentation and I'm a huge shutterbug, so I'll definitely have photos, maps highlighting where we went, and possibly elevation maps too

2 more days and i'll have my feet in the river at camp for happy hour. Frantic last few days of prep, but mostly just ready to go. The mighty St Lawrence is calling. Well, that's a bit cheestastic.... Whatever!

2 more days and i'll have my feet in the river at camp for happy hour. Frantic last few days of prep, but mostly just ready to go. The mighty St Lawrence is calling. Well, that's a bit cheestastic.... Whatever!

MAN I envy you!

Did you get another house-sitter lined up?

Did you get another house-sitter lined up?

Thank goodness, yes. Teacher friend highly recommended 18 YO graduate. Very nice young man. Spent an hour with us last night. One (and really the only one) good thing about townhome living is all the close neighbors know what's up and will keep an eye out. Even the teacher friend lives on the block.

Here's what I'll be lugging around for the next 4 days. I've learned my lesson... 45L packs are not meant for a multi-day excursion

[ATTACH]156398[/ATTACH]

Yeah - little on the small size. Go big or go home. Like the DD Terraplane for this reason. Totes easily when light-packed, equally easy when well-loaded for longer, off-grid, trips.

Are you a minimalist, lightweight, midweight, or pack the whole kitchen backpaper? What's your favorite gear?

Minimalist, lightweight but comfortable. Fat, fluffy Thermarest is a must, lightest weight possible tent, internal frame backpack, no gourmet cooking in the bush, stove for boiling water in the morning only. Tread lightly and try and leave no trace.

• 1 month later...

My base set of gear (shelter, cooking stuff, tools, etc.) is ~18 lb including the 58L pack. I think it would typically be ~30 lb with clothes and 3 or 4 days worth of food / booze. I'll weigh it before my next trip, but I'm worried this will just make me spend a ton of money on lighter gear :lol:

Where I really get into trouble with weight is the water. In June 2012, I did a 3 night trip in the Smoky Mountains. I was going through my 3L Camelbak each day while we hiked. 3L water is 3kg = 6.6 lb!!!

My base set of gear (shelter, cooking stuff, tools, etc.) is ~18 lb including the 58L pack. I think it would typically be ~30 lb with clothes and 3 or 4 days worth of food / booze. I'll weigh it before my next trip, but I'm worried this will just make me spend a ton of money on lighter gear :lol:

Where I really get into trouble with weight is the water. In June 2012, I did a 3 night trip in the Smoky Mountains. I was going through my 3L Camelbak each day while we hiked. 3L water is 3kg = 6.6 lb!!!

Have you contemplated using a good quality water filtering device?

Edit: in a way, still won't make much difference cause you'd still have to fill your camelbak blader anyways :lol:. Unless you are hiking close to water sources.

Hate to break it to you, but until they invent some of that "lightweight water" stuff, you're going to have to suck it up ;) (pun intended)

I see your "lightweight water," and raise you "dehydrated water."

Chill and serve, preferably with the dehydrated ice you brought out on the trail :cool:

1081057500_DehydratedWater.jpg.f0078172179cedff17ea314d670893b1.jpg

My kid just got back from a backpacking trip in the north Carolina mountains. They used some kind of water filtration system. Even with that their packs were 50-60 lbs. She said it was an amazing time.

Have you contemplated using a good quality water filtering device?

Edit: in a way, still won't make much difference cause you'd still have to fill your camelbak blader anyways :lol:. Unless you are hiking close to water sources.

I have a Katadyn Hiker Pro. I've only used it a few times, but it seems to work great. On that note, anyone who has a Katadyn know how long the filter inserts typically last?

Haha yea exactly! I guess I would rather pump 3L of water once than stop 3 times to pump 1L. Or I could stop sweating so much. My girlfriend would appreciate that.

I have a Katadyn Hiker Pro. I've only used it a few times, but it seems to work great. On that note, anyone who has a Katadyn know how long the filter inserts typically last?

Haha yea exactly! I guess I would rather pump 3L of water once than stop 3 times to pump 1L. Or I could stop sweating so much. My girlfriend would appreciate that.

I've heard that typically every year is a good replacement interval, simply because if you don't use it for a stretch, it could attract bacteria

Good REI article on inernational water treatment here.

Bacteria is known to remain and grow in filters, post-use, so using some bleach (I prefer peroxide) as a "before-storing" precaution. Check to make sure that your filters can be "flushed" with either before doing so.

Thanks guys. I just pulled out the Katadyn to check it. Apparently I wasn't very thorough after my last trip. It was wet inside the housing / filter element and smells like mildew, so I'm throwing the filter away. I ordered a new filter and the best price I saw was $40 on Amazon :eek:

I cleaned the rest of the components with a bleach + water solution, and they're drying in the sun now.

Archived