LegacyGT.com

Snow... Are You Ready?

Any advice to promote on-throttle oversteer?

...Rear sway makes sense.. it's on my lust list.

...Maybe it's me, but it seems you have to push this car to oversteer; it seems to understeer until you can transfer enough weight forward to unload the rear.

Am I wrong here?

Nope, you're bang on. Subaru's in general like to plow. Loads of understeer built in from the factory. Rear sway helps tighten it up but you still have to shift it around if you want oversteer.

Technique depends on scenario. During "normal" driving usually just lifting a little on turn in and getting back on it (hard) as soon as the car starts to move will get you the rotation you want. Flicking works really well too and is more subtle and controlled in the scoobs I've driven compared to almost anything else. That's not something I'd do when there are cars around though.

5th gens respond really well to left foot braking too. I haven't romped on a 4th gen in a long time but from what I recall of how it responded to inputs in general, I would expect a similarly favorable response to LFB.

Sounds like you could use a nice long parking lot session to get to know your car. :)

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

**I'd also like to plug TSD road rally events here, as I like to do every single time I get an opportunity... :)

My car control has DRAMATICALLY improved since I started running TSD events. These are legal events run at or below the speed limit on open public roads (usually twisty, gravel backroads for winter rally) and you must maintain an exact speed at all times. Getting used to getting the car around corners with no wheel spin but at the right speed teaches you all kinds of things about how your car reacts to different conditions and inputs. I am much, MUCH more confident in my ability to put the car where I want when driving 7/10's on any surface.

I have little doubt the seat time I get with road rallies has bailed me out of at least one collision so far, potentially a handful.

Took this Wednesday.. my car has been a tank in the snow with proper winter tires and I'm loving it.

My skid plate has come into play as well over the last two days. Some areas with drifts and snow banks higher then my bumper and I can hear the snow pushing off my plate :), where I'm not sure the OEM tray would have done so well.

1775053361_LGTsnow12_26.thumb.jpg.989b0392f30aeefbe1efeffd33203c2d.jpg

Took this Wednesday.. my car has been a tank in the snow with proper winter tires and I'm loving it.

My skid plate has come into play as well over the last two days. Some areas with drifts and snow banks higher then my bumper and I can hear the snow pushing off my plate :), where I'm not sure the OEM tray would have done so well.

Good to hear.. I need to make my skid plate soon... just trying to decide what material to go with. A sheet of aluminum that big is kinda pricey..

The mechanical all wheel drive in the 5MT should be rwd/fwd 60/40 under acceleration. However, the weight being heavier above the front axles may give you more grip in the front. With my current setup 0% winter traction I can tell you the car slides evenly front to rear on a slight corner or it just slides left or right from a dead stop.

Getting some all seasons soon.

Nope,

From Cars101.com.

GT \ Turbo Model;

5 Speed; Manual trans: Viscous coupling 50/50 power split.

5 Speed; Auto Trans: VTD (Variable Torque Distribution) 45/55 front/rear power split.

6 Speed; Manual trans: Viscous coupling 50/50 power split.

Only why to get rear bias in MT Subaru, is STi 6MT with DCCD. Or change your Center diff.

2005: STi 6MT; DCCD 35/65 to 50/50 rear power split. (Subaru Service Manual)

2006-2013: STi 6MT; DCCD 41/59 to 50/50 rear power split.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Nope,

From Cars101.com.

GT \ Turbo Model;

5 Speed; Auto Trans: VTD (Variable Torque Distribution) 45/55 front/rear power split.

Only why to get rear bias in MT Subaru, is STi 6MT with DCCD. Or change your Center diff.

Mike

The static viscous LSD center differential distribution on the 2000-2001 2.5RS is 50:50 (F/R) and transfers to a maximum of 40:60 (F/R) for the 5MT during hard acceleration. The 2002 WRX has a staticdistribution of 50:50 (F/R) and transfers to a maximum of 40:60 (F/R) for the 5MT during hard acceleration. The AT is completely different and uses a clutching system with the center differential instead of a standard viscous LSD. The AT startes out with an almost 45:55 (F/R) split for the WRX and an 80:20 (F/R) static distribution on most other models. You need to stick with one system to learn from and then move onto the others from there. For Subaru's, you basically have Continuous AWD, ActiveAWD, VTD,VDC, and DCCD. Not all of these systems are available in both MT and AT.

From a description on Cobb's website.

Yes that is the differential, however the 50/50 viscous lsd is intended to slip under hard acceleration to accommodate weight transfer and increase traction. One of the many things that help our cars handle the way they do.

Nope,

From Cars101.com.

GT \ Turbo Model;

Mike

Man! Thats why that thing felt like an animal pulling the line in 6-8" of snow! Just felt like it was dragging itself in parallel through the thick of shit! :lol: Just DIGGGING from front to back!

Yet another "Snow" Fail in the chicagoland area! ha... Slight accumulation this morning and when I say slight I mean like you can barely see the white coating in the grass, roads wet... Now back to just wet ha...

Maaaaaaaaan all I want is just a little opportunity to power slide some shit through a bank of the fluffy stuff! :spin:

If it weren't for the sand/salt crap it would be perfect out! Got around a foot of snow on the ground here around Cbus and it's just warm enough for saltwater during the day and ice during the night...

I can't wait to wash my baby :(

Attempted a winter with the all-seasons, which proved to be too much for the tires. Last weekend while driving 15mph in a 25, the ice/snow proved too much for the tires at that speed - I was out driving the conditions - so I had to power drift my way out of two close calls.

Bought steelies and general winter/snow tires. Huge improvement. Figure cheaper than an insurance claim too. Let the girlfriend drive the car to get something and it was tough getting the keys back.

Been in VT since the 25th. Had 14"s on Thursday, been snowing since 8:30 this morning.

Been trying to upload pic's to Photobucket, but it's not working.

BTW, Skiing has been GREAT.

Here's the pic, it loaded in about 3 seconds.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN5074_zpsd7b6f500.jpg

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thought about your lack of snow on the way home.. made sure to "slip" in a cul-de-sac for ya. It's only December.. this is going to be a snowy winter, I can feel it.

Thanks bud! :D lol... (Awwww :( I just thought about how much fun it is to drift the LGT around in the snow again... dang it!)

Yea for real, these "Fronts" that keep coming through are SOOO weird! ha... Its like they keep completely "Hooking" around the chicago area! Strangest shit I've ever seen regarding weather patterns... Wisconsin getting pounded, Northwest IL, Northwest IN and then your area there down a bit more... And then it's even hooked to southern IL! :eek: WTF is going on around the chicago corridor!? :lol:

It's literally almost January, and the first 2 days of any snow JUST happened this week, and where both a total joke! ha... I'd say a half inch at best! And Nothing accumulated on the roads :rolleyes:

I moved my sister to Humboldt Park a few years back- I haven't seen snow that heavy before or since. The weather patterns have been really weird.. a friend of mine heard thunder in our snowstorm last week. I didn't even know that was possible.

:lol: yea how they say "Thunder Snow" haha... Weird shit...

And yea you talking about that crazy storm we got!? The one that literally shut down and stranded most ALL of the northbound lakeshore dr!? :eek:

If thats the storm your talking about, that picture I posted back in this thread (Post 193, The 1st picture) That was only like 2-3hrs TOPS into that storm, and only like 3:30 or something in the afternoon, I was actually leaving work early cuz I still had a 30 mile commute home... That storm did NOTHING BUT GET STRONGER AND GO TILL THE WEE HOURS OF THE MORNING! MADNESS!!!!

Archived