LegacyGT.com

Snow... Are You Ready?

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There was probably 2" or so on the ground going into yesterday... Then we got ~8" more throughout the day. It was weird to see next to NO ONE out on the roads and I guess it was pretty bad inside Cbus with wrecks lol. Lucky I have just enough ground clearance to not rip my lip spoiler off haha!

Went to go see Django Unchained with my bro tonight. When we came out it was snowing and had a few inches on the ground. Went to an empty parking lot and had a bit of fun. As we swung back around after we left, we saw a cop pulling in... phewf

I assume it wasn't in your car..

We got about 20+ inches total last night upstate ny shovel sucked till I got to the legacy
StageIII Cryotune-Kinugawa STS TD06H-20GTX 9 blade turbine, ID1000, DW65c, 73mm MegaMAF , GS EWG up-pipe, Downpipe and EBCS, FMS FMIC, TGV Delete, Brembo swap

I had to test out the snow tires last night.. I went for a ride to the local forest.. The Bluebaru handled it like a champ!!! Almost TOO much traction! hahaha

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/314032_10151179471528779_802082167_n.jpg

Man, what a difference a set of winter tires makes.

Oh we are ready!!!! Spent Christmas in the area of Gaylord, mi. A lot of beautiful, fresh snow. Results >>>>> friend's STI in snow bank 2x. First time some digging suffised, next time around, pick up truck and a chain was enough :). Wife's outback was plowing snow proudly until I had to stop in a deep snow because of fallen trees. CVT, reverse and deep snow doesn't go together that well. Rocking back and forth did help a little but eventually it hanged on the skid plate and that was the end of it. 20psi did nothing. 3 snowmobile riders lifting the front end a little did the trick though. Reversing full speed on a narrow forest road not to loose momentum was the most fun moment of the whole trip.

Simple lesson learned >>> I always had tire chains in the boot for trips like that when driving FWD, should keep them there. AWD is not invincible even on a fresh set of winter tires. Even STI's 3 LSDs and full lock didn't do shit. Once stuck it didn't even move an inch. Tow strap and wheel chains is a must if you venture out into to the forest road. It's not a matter of if, it's when you will get stuck with a proper snow.

You mean you have a main track and a service/spectator area? Handy!

I do what I can:rolleyes:;):lol:. Run off area is short, 30', unless you want to drift a 180*. corner & use the public road:eek:. If you go straight, you end up in down 20'ditch. This track\driveway is all about commitment:eek::spin:;):lol:

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

:lol: I'm a little jealous! :(

Yea CRAZY what I'm hearing about some of these snow totals and continued forecasts :eek:

God EVERY SINGLE one of these fronts seems to keep just WRAPPING around chicagoland but barely missing :lol:

Im with you.... WTF is our snow?!?! i Bought this car almost 2 years ago and havent had a decent snow since. (last year i was in CO snowboarding when it snowed our only few inches)

Got roughly 10" around the area.. Spent most of the day driving yesterday. I put over 120mi in the snow, some of those miles plowing the roads for the ice crews.

Overall the performance was great, though I was a little unhappy with the understeer. Looks like I know what I'm tweaking in the spring..

153007623_2012-12-2612_00_33.thumb.jpg.a731c5ae36cc0f5925060c4c320da55f.jpg

• I Donated
Got roughly 10" around the area.. Spent most of the day driving yesterday. I put over 120mi in the snow, some of those miles plowing the roads for the ice crews.

Overall the performance was great, though I was a little unhappy with the understeer. Looks like I know what I'm tweaking in the spring..

needs moar rear sway

snow's back after essentially none last winter. headed up the highway last night it seemed like half the drivers had their flashers on and some in the 3rd lane going 30-40. The wagon was pulling well and very stable at 55 on 2-3" of dry snow at about 10PM. 87N in upstate NY has the most uninformed drivers...BUT, I guess I was the hazard!

Your car control skills? ;)

Understood.. it's going to take awhile to feel the car out. This was my first 100 miles in the snow in an awd 5-speed. I know there are tricks out there, I'm just not quite there yet. Any advice to promote on-throttle oversteer?

It just seems like my last awd had more of a rear bias, which makes sense since it was a rwd-based platform.

Rear sway makes sense.. it's on my lust list.

Understood.. it's going to take awhile to feel the car out. This was my first 100 miles in the snow in an awd 5-speed. I know there are tricks out there, I'm just not quite there yet. Any advice to promote on-throttle oversteer?

It just seems like my last awd had more of a rear bias, which makes sense since it was a rwd-based platform.

Rear sway makes sense.. it's on my lust list.

Awww man... My buddy had the same year as mine (05) LGT but in 5speed (I have an automatic)... Good lord was that a fun car to drive in the snow!!!! So much easier to manipulate the "Slides" etc in that car then in my auto IMO.

:mad: I still wish I had a 5mt

Awww man... My buddy had the same year as mine (05) LGT but in 5speed (I have an automatic)... Good lord was that a fun car to drive in the snow!!!! So much easier to manipulate the "Slides" etc in that car then in my auto IMO.

:mad: I still wish I had a 5mt

I love the 5mt. On wet/dry pavement I can drive around the understeer.. I just couldn't get the front tires to plant enough to break the rear loose in the snow. I'd rather have the car tend to oversteer. Maybe it's me, but it seems you have to push this car to oversteer; it seems to understeer until you can transfer enough weight forward to unload the rear. Am I wrong here?

I love the 5mt. On wet/dry pavement I can drive around the understeer.. I just couldn't get the front tires to plant enough to break the rear loose in the snow. I'd rather have the car tend to oversteer. Maybe it's me, but it seems you have to push this car to oversteer; it seems to understeer until you can transfer enough weight forward to unload the rear. Am I wrong here?

Hmmmm.... I'd have better feedback for ya, but I haven't seen a LICK of precipitation in FOR EVER so I FORGOT what it feels like to lose traction any sort of way! :mad: lol

The mechanical all wheel drive in the 5MT should be rwd/fwd 60/40 under acceleration. However, the weight being heavier above the front axles may give you more grip in the front. With my current setup 0% winter traction I can tell you the car slides evenly front to rear on a slight corner or it just slides left or right from a dead stop.

Getting some all seasons soon.

Archived