LegacyGT.com

got some new stuff for engine R&R

just commenting to follow this thread. im currently gather parts and in for a 2007 sti swap for me 2008 2.5i legacy. yes i know i have alot of work ahead of me, but it is a family project with my kids. i am trying to find a list of everything in the engine bay that bolts onto the ej257.

FWIW, you can find the parts in the "opposedforces" link,

https://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/subaru-news-rumors-58.html

Also now days, most dealers have the same type parts listing.

I did replace the heater hoses while the engine was out. Just use your head and think about what's in there. Take a walk out to the car, open the hood, look around, make a list and take photos... have a plan, that's what I did.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yes, I tend to use my local dealer's website. They sell at the discount prices. Besides, the parts guy's know me and come out to visit when I stop in.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

• 5 months later...

Figured I'd update.

Drove the car back to VT today, once again. It's a 150 mile trip to the ski house. The car runs so well, I wish there wasn't so much rust beginning to show its ugly head. But I guess I shouldn't, compline too much, seeing the number of trips to VT it's made. since I bought it June 28 2004.

Figured I'd update.

Drove the car back to VT today, once again. It's a 150 mile trip to the ski house. The car runs so well, I wish there wasn't so much rust beginning to show its ugly head. But I guess I shouldn't, compline too much, seeing the number of trips to VT it's made. since I bought it June 28 2004.

I'm guessing it didn't get the Fluid Film treatment? It's crazy to see one of my car with 300K miles.

Glad to hear it's all running like new.

I have been using Fluid Film for a number of years now. It has done a good job with that normal spot above the left rear tire at the corner. But the front edge of that wheel well at about 10 o'clock is showing some signs of bubbling.

I have been spraying the lower rear corner of that door's rocker area.

• 3 months later...
  • Max Capacity changed the title to got some new stuff for engine R&R
  • 8 months later...

Just the last update for this thread.

By now some know I sold this car last Oct. 2022, the 5mt lost 3rd, 4th and 5th gear again. The car had near 306,000 miles. I was done putting money into it.

The ej257 had over 154,000 trouble free miles on it, still ran good and had no bearing or piston slap noise. Just had to keep an eye on the oil level. 

The new owner, contacted me after he got it from the guy I sold it too, who I knew was going to fix it and flip it.  The wagon sit's in a heated garage next to where he builds his Rally car's. It will become his Shop car to get parts locally. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, xt2005bonbon said:

Do you miss it?

I'd have to say no...not yet. I have the 09' Spec B, (19psi on vf46) it's not as quick but, it only has 102,000 miles. Runs like a watch. It's still mainly our weekend car.

Been driving the 18' 3.6R Outback as we leased her a 23' Nissan Rouge for 18 months. The Outback is a nice ride to VT for skiing. It now has 34,700 miles.

I will say, been thinking about selling the Spec B too... just not sure if I'm really ready too yet. I should have the Invidia Q300 mufflers replaced as it's getting a little loud. But you can still hear the turbo spool so... :

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Max Capacity said:

I'd have to say no...not yet. I have the 09' Spec B, (19psi on vf46) it's not as quick but, it only has 102,000 miles. Runs like a watch. It's still mainly our weekend car.

Been driving the 18' 3.6R Outback as we leased her a 23' Nissan Rouge for 18 months. The Outback is a nice ride to VT for skiing. It now has 34,700 miles.

I will say, been thinking about selling the Spec B too... just not sure if I'm really ready too yet. I should have the Invidia Q300 mufflers replaced as it's getting a little loud. But you can still hear the turbo spool so... :

Get a set of Genome or Ganador Titan (titanium), beautiful sound, quieter than Invidia without sacrificing beautiful sound.

I have the AVO mufflers on my Outback, combined with Invidia catted DP and OEM midpipe: almost no drone, while still hearing deep rumble at idle. She sounds good when you get on it, but not too loud at all. My other car with same DP and 3 inch catback (no resonator) with Stromung mufflers OTOH, she's obnoxious especially when you WOT it!

• Like 1

OEM mi-pipe is critical to keeping the sound tamed if you don't mind the restriction.

I have an eBay 3" mid-pipe (no resonator), and it's only quieter on the interstate because of the cable 6sp transmits much less noise into the cabin than the direct linkage 5sp.

Yeah, that's right. That's why I decided to keep the resonator since we use this car for long trips. But yeah, definitely some restriction there. The 'no resonator' car is quiet around 80 mph cruise speed. 70 mph is awful. Glad my state has an 80 mph speed limit!

• Like 2

Thanks, Infosecdad.

Did a little searching on line, couldn't find much for, Genome or Ganador Titan mufflers. Maybe later this week I'll do more searching and measure the current muffler setup and see what Magna-flow has or others from Summit Racing or Jeg's. No big hurry.

Also, remember the Q300 has the flanges close to the mufflers, not like the OEM Y pipe. 

I do have a buddy that could cut and weld if it comes to that. Over the weekend we were talking about him fab'ing/welding up an exhaust for his new project, a 99' Suburban.

I did find a video of the Ganador sound clip. That does sound nice.

On 4/10/2023 at 5:37 PM, Infosecdad said:

OEM mi-pipe is critical to keeping the sound tamed if you don't mind the restriction.

I have an eBay 3" mid-pipe (no resonator), and it's only quieter on the interstate because of the cable 6sp transmits much less noise into the cabin than the direct linkage 5sp.

Big part of it is the muffler it self, straight through designs are just too inefficient at reducing sound.  I had a 3" setup, 5" Borla resonator, to an modified 04-07 STI muffler (bored out to 3", modified baffles for straighter path).  The car was TOO quiet, would barely register on DB meter auto-crossing, it has a really deep idle though and sounded good free revving.  I think removing the resonator would have helped make it a tee webit louder but at that point it was already in place and I didn't want to fight with it :).

• Like 1

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

22 hours ago, Max Capacity said:

Thanks, Infosecdad.

Did a little searching on line, couldn't find much for, Genome or Ganador Titan mufflers. Maybe later this week I'll do more searching and measure the current muffler setup and see what Magna-flow has or others from Summit Racing or Jeg's. No big hurry.

Also, remember the Q300 has the flanges close to the mufflers, not like the OEM Y pipe. 

I do have a buddy that could cut and weld if it comes to that. Over the weekend we were talking about him fab'ing/welding up an exhaust for his new project, a 99' Suburban.

I did find a video of the Ganador sound clip. That does sound nice.

I've had both the Genomes and Titans, the Titans won out for sound at full throttle.

I've only ever seen two postings for the Titanium Titans, I bought one of them. 

(Shipping was nice, they weight <15lb together...)

You can find STi Genome at buyee.jp or eBay.

https://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/n1086897401

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=legacy+genome&_sacat=0

You will need a stock style mid-pipe for most anything else, Invidia is custom connecting locations.

I buy the 3" eBay catback and sell the mufflers because I buy it for the mid-pipe.  It's the cheapest way I've found to get one.

My recommendation would be to go with on of the loop mufflers, they are the closest to OEM design without having the sharp 180's that OEM mufflers have.  Just weld it into your existing Y pipe and no need to hunt for new catback :).

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

• 3 months later...

Heard from the new owner, he's ready to move the car on, he said it's still running great.

IMG_3864.jpg

IMG_3865.jpg

• Like 1

I hear the wagon has moved on to its new owner, hopefully he'll chime in on the forum soon.

Previous owner, had to get rid of some of his toy's, needed the room.