LegacyGT.com

Legacy GT to be Discontinued

08 WGT

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Comapartively sized 4 door - A4? Or did you mean the A6? Or are you comparing the msrp?

...the A4 is comparable in size and depending how it's configured price. However, well equipped it does cost more and offers less power out of the box (though the 2.0T has massive aftermarket support).

Comapartively sized 4 door - A4? Or did you mean the A6? Or are you comparing the msrp?
A6 has no option for a manual transmission, and costs $41.6k with the turbo 4 or $49.9k with the 6. The A4 is very close to the same size as the Legacy (it's an inch shorter and has a 2 inch longer wheelbase, so interior should be similar, too)

5th gen LGT didn't seem that much better than current WRX/STI. And both are a step down from top trim of 4th gen.
The WRX and STi are nice, don't get me wrong, but the Legacy is much nicer inside, is considerably quieter, much more interior space (both for people and cargo) - much more refined all around.

The interior quality of the 5th gen is at least as nice, if not nicer, than that of the 4th gen. though I suppose the 4th gen really cornered the market on faux wood trim, so if that's your metric, I suppose you are right...

…and what segment would that be?

The kind that buys A4's. MSRP on LGT w/ no options is $32,345. MSRP on A4 w/ quattro and six-speed is $34,175. Someone in the market for that price range/features who's not a super car person will probably take the A4. Unlike us, who understand the value of the LGT and like the car...guess there just weren't enough of us who liked it and then bought it. Maybe they'll bring it back. I dunno...I'd prefer they just drop the H6 in the legacy though. May work for the Outback, but I just don't really see many H6's cruisin around in the legacy's. It's like the only sedan in the segment to still offer one, asides from the Accord and Camry.

The WRX and STi are nice, don't get me wrong, but the Legacy is much nicer inside, is considerably quieter, much more interior space (both for people and cargo) - much more refined all around.

The interior quality of the 5th gen is at least as nice, if not nicer, than that of the 4th gen. though I suppose the 4th gen really cornered the market on faux wood trim, so if that's your metric, I suppose you are right...

STI has more head room (front/back) and more leg room up front. In practical terms - I can set-up seating to myself in an STI so that I can left foot brake, I can't in the LGT - I hit the steering column too often. For cargo 5-door STI is much better than LGT. Interior material quality is comparable to me, both a step down from spec.b. LGT is quieter? Sure, it damn better be. Is that the only thing (+a bit more space for rear passengers) that makes it more 'refined'? Not to me. I considered '12 LGT but it's way behind STI and slightly behind WRX premium in my book.

asides from the Accord and Camry.

Those are the cars that Subaru is after though... Some people still feel a 4 cylinder is inadequate, including myself (w/o boost) and prefer a 6. I know my grandfather opted for the Outback sedan with the H6 back in 2006, I tried to talk him into the LGT and he told me "Jason, 6 is better than 4". It's a mindset, there are a lot more people in the market that would rather have a 6 than a turbocharged 4. "what's a turbocharger?!?!":spin:

...the A4 is comparable in size and depending how it's configured price. However, well equipped it does cost more and offers less power out of the box (though the 2.0T has massive aftermarket support).

Can we just agree that there's an undeniable subjectivity when it comes to "comparable size"? Your point is - the manual tranny, 4 cyl. with FI and "fun to drive" factor, & the price. Hope I got that right. Mine is A4 = wrx/sti as A6 = Legacy GT, for size comparison. Note I did not include any dimensions because I think the essence is not the figures but what the individual is willing to sacrifice in order to satisfy his or her priorities.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-comparisons/?veh1=101411664|sedan&veh2=101391381|sedan&veh3=101356435|sedan&veh4=101380913|sedan&show=0|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8&comparatorId=764031

STI has more head room (front/back)
an inch more in front, and but they are the same in back. I'm 6'3" and still have many inches of clearance before my head would hit the ceiling, so I'd say both cars have plenty of headroom.

and more leg room up front.
by half an inch. But lets talk about the back seat - the legacy has over 4 inches more rear legroom. Or how about shoulder room? Legacy has 2.5" more in front and just under 3" in the back over the STi.

In practical terms - I can set-up seating to myself in an STI so that I can left foot brake, I can't in the LGT - I hit the steering column too often.
I can't say I left foot brake in daily driving, so I guess I don't know if I can do it in my car without hitting the steering column - however, with the tilting and telescoping steering column, plus the ability to raise/lower the seats, I am surprised you couldn't figure it out... I know I definitely have more room between my legs and the steering column than I did in my WRX
For cargo 5-door STI is much better than LGT.
If you actually tried to fit things into both cars, you'd really understand how rediculously wrong that is. There is negligable space available behind the seats in the WRX/STi hatch - I know because I was looking at getting one before being driven to the Legacy, and it failed miserably when I test fit things I needed to be able to carry (a wheelchair and a walker, both while having a kiddo or two in the rear seats) - it wasn't even kinda sorta close with the WRX/STi 5 door, but fits no problem in the Legacy.

Interior material quality is comparable to me, both a step down from spec.b.
appearance is subjective, but the interior quality is significantly better in either generation Legacy than the WRX or STi. Both are fairly nice, but the Legacies are definitely decidedly higher rent

'12 LGT but it's way behind STI and slightly behind WRX premium in my book.

if you are looking for a small sports sedan with at most a single passenger sitting up front, then sure, both the STi and WRX are probably going to have better handling dynamics, and be more fun to tool around in - if you use the car as, well, a car to transport people and things, where you have adult-sized folks in the front and back seats, as well as stuff in the trunk - the WRX and STi fall far, far, far behind the Legacy in terms of comfort and space.

Can we just agree that there's an undeniable subjectivity when it comes to "comparable size"? ... Mine is A4 = wrx/sti as A6 = Legacy GT, for size comparison. Note I did not include any dimensions because I think the essence is not the figures
That's odd - to me "size" is physical dimensions - for which the LGT is about the same size as the A4, but smaller and lighter than the A6 - the latter being 2" wider, 7.5" longer, and over 500 lbs heavier than the LGT. Saying that the LGT is the same size as the A6 seems comical to me...

The A4, on the other hand, is almost the same width and length as the LGT, and is only 120 or so lbs heavier than the LGT.

And the 4G sounds cheap going down the road with those frameless windows. Truth hurts. I'll gladly enjoy my better built "econobox".

Bullcrap - I've had three Subarus with frameless windows and none of them have sounded cheap because of the windows. They've all sealed tight and wind noise has never been a problem.

STI has more head room (front/back) and more leg room up front. In practical terms - I can set-up seating to myself in an STI so that I can left foot brake, I can't in the LGT - I hit the steering column too often. For cargo 5-door STI is much better than LGT. Interior material quality is comparable to me, both a step down from spec.b. LGT is quieter? Sure, it damn better be. Is that the only thing (+a bit more space for rear passengers) that makes it more 'refined'? Not to me. I considered '12 LGT but it's way behind STI and slightly behind WRX premium in my book.

Owning both, there's no comparison that that LGT is a nicer car. Whenever we have other people in the LGT, we ALWAYS get luxury car comparisons. The closest thing to that I've seen in the STI was some idiot looking at it from the outside and asked if it was an Audi. I prefer the door cards, gauges, and covered cup holders in the BL LGT, but everything else I like better in the BM. I don't touch my dash. The plastic on the dash in the BM looks like it's soft touch and in fact matches the exact graining of the soft touch on the door sills. The plastic in the STI looks hard.

Are you seriously comparing the cargo capacity of a 5 door to a sedan? :rolleyes: We are actually able to fit much more in the trunk of Legacy than the STI hatch without compromising visibility. The doors also open a lot wider for putting things in the back seat if need be. I was able to fit a 50" Plasma upright in the Legacy. That wasn't happening in the STI. Sedan to sedan, the Legacy has a larger cargo area.

The only reason there is more headroom in the WRX is because the seat lowers until you're pretty much on the floor. Subaru purposefully addressed what they called (sitting in a bathtub) with the new Impreza. The WRX has .5 inches more front legroom and is down 3.3" in rear legroom. Anyone can sit in the front seat comfortably in both cars, moving the seat back in the STI starts to feel claustophobic for rear passengers. The Legacy just has a ton of room for everyone.

The Legacy is quieter, more comfortable, rides better, uses better materials, and has better tech. I like driving both, but the WRX and STI are in no way shape or form better than an LGT in anything other than performance... and the LGT has more midrange and top end punch than the WRX.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hm. I've had both (the LGT for only a day now), and I can attest to B4's post. I don't recall ever sitting in the rear of the STi, but the numbers seem to favor the Legacy. I wouldn't call either "roomy" in the back.

So what's the argument... that the STi is the family sedan the Legacy should have been? :rolleyes:

Tits mcgee

Bullcrap - I've had three Subarus with frameless windows and none of them have sounded cheap because of the windows. They've all sealed tight and wind noise has never been a problem.

I'd love to say the same, but closing the door with the windows not all the way up or closing the door a little too hard does make the doors sound cheap. I perfected closing the door just right to prevent that shuddering noise. I definitely recall a lot of wind noise in my prior Subarus. It never bothered me, but the framed cars are definitely quieter. I've noticed magazines have switched from wind noise complaints to engine noise complaints.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That's odd - to me "size" is physical dimensions..

The fact that you said "to me" is what I was saying about being subjective. And the same logic applies to what is "odd" and "comical", and what are not..

Look man, "subjectivity" it not a new concept. It's pointless of me to go on further down this road if you think your interpretion on our subject matter is absolute/infallible. I'm no medical physician man, but "to me" - calling yourself "Dr.." so and so, and has no idea what the word "subjectivity" denotes, is definitely comical..

Archived