LegacyGT.com

Legacy GT to be Discontinued

08 WGT

I think the increase in sales in later years is the result of SUV owners looking for smaller cars that are better on fuel. Just a thought(economic crash around 2008).

Whether which generation was better would be whatever the owner's personal preference is.

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not trying to start anything at all but ...

There's just more of us 5th gen haters than 5th gen lovers.

so you aren't trying to start anything? Sad thing is they are both nice cars, yet some people just can't get past that the new car offers some fairly nice traits...

It's the same on NASIOC every time the WRX is refreshed...

People whine that the new LGT isn't as sporty feeling, which is fine, yet it outperforms the old one pretty much however you want to measure it. Sort of makes me think about the statements "looks fast" and "is fast"... which would you rather have?

People whine that it's too heavy, and yet the LGT gained a whopping 55 lbs from the 2009 (hell - the 2009 gained more on the 2005, and no one went ballistic about how bloated it was!)

People whine that it's too big, but it's only half an inch longer, 3 inches wider and 3 inches taller than the 2005.

The 5th gen LGT has improved boost response and increased power over the previous generation.

The 5th gen Legacy has improved head, shoulder, and leg room (esp. in the back) over the previous generation.

The 5th gen Legacy has increased trunk space (up from 11.4 cu. ft. to 14.7 cu. ft) over the previous generation.

And car buyers have spoken quite loudly with the substantially improved sales of the 5th gen Legacy over the previous generation.

So from Subaru's point of view, which do you think is the better car? The GT hasn't sold in big numbers pretty much any year, including 2005 - however, the only real difference between the LGT and the 3.6R is the engine and transmission, which is made for more markets than just the US, so I would guess the LGT is going to continue, as it doesn't require a whole lot of extra expenditure from Subaru's point of view, and it lets them keep a sporty family sedan, so I would guess they'd keep it in the lineup at least until the end of the 5th generation, but who knows - there are quite likely many other factors which go into the decision than any of us are aware of, so anything which we (or the dealership folks) guess is pretty much just speculation.

Unless someone from the factory who has seen what they are gearing up for, or from Subaru corporate who knows what is going to happen for MY13, speaks up, we all pretty much have to wait to see what happens.

so you aren't trying to start anything? Sad thing is they are both nice cars, yet some people just can't get past that the new car offers some fairly nice traits...

It's the same on NASIOC every time the WRX is refreshed...

People whine that the new LGT isn't as sporty feeling, which is fine, yet it outperforms the old one pretty much however you want to measure it. Sort of makes me think about the statements "looks fast" and "is fast"... which would you rather have?

People whine that it's too heavy, and yet the LGT gained a whopping 55 lbs from the 2009 (hell - the 2009 gained more on the 2005, and no one went ballistic about how bloated it was!)

People whine that it's too big, but it's only half an inch longer, 3 inches wider and 3 inches taller than the 2005.

The 5th gen LGT has improved boost response and increased power over the previous generation.

The 5th gen Legacy has improved head, shoulder, and leg room (esp. in the back) over the previous generation.

The 5th gen Legacy has increased trunk space (up from 11.4 cu. ft. to 14.7 cu. ft) over the previous generation.

And car buyers have spoken quite loudly with the substantially improved sales of the 5th gen Legacy over the previous generation.

So from Subaru's point of view, which do you think is the better car? The GT hasn't sold in big numbers pretty much any year, including 2005 - however, the only real difference between the LGT and the 3.6R is the engine and transmission, which is made for more markets than just the US, so I would guess the LGT is going to continue, as it doesn't require a whole lot of extra expenditure from Subaru's point of view, and it lets them keep a sporty family sedan, so I would guess they'd keep it in the lineup at least until the end of the 5th generation, but who knows - there are quite likely many other factors which go into the decision than any of us are aware of, so anything which we (or the dealership folks) guess is pretty much just speculation.

Unless someone from the factory who has seen what they are gearing up for, or from Subaru corporate who knows what is going to happen for MY13, speaks up, we all pretty much have to wait to see what happens.

I would like to see a marketing breakdown before I am willing to agree. In the south, where Subaru is just now starting to catch on, there was NO advertising outside of the Tribeca. Not to mention there wasn't any dealers outside of a couple of major metropolitan areas. (Atlanta). So I wouldn't say that just an increase in sales is a clear indication of the new models success. Also, I would like to see a breakdown of how many previous leggy buyers made the "upgrade".

Personally I don't think the car is "fat". It just looks "fat". They made it too bland, and many of my peers agree. (those being the <30 crowd) I have no problem with added leg room,size etc. It's just the ackward "I want to be a camry" looks that I hate. I won't take the thread anymore off topic, but I won't be buying the 5th just due to looks. However, I do like the fact that it is bigger, but not the fact that it is uglier. But I guess it's all subjective and there is no real way to prove my hypothesis without hard numbers, ones that I would have no clue, or will, to find.

Oh, 1 more thing. A good many gm/Chrysler dealers that were doing well and lost their franchise licenses during the restructuring bought Subie franchises to replace them with; instead of going out of business or becoming just used car dealers. That happened during 08 and 09, so a greater dealer base also has it's advantages. As it's a number game.

took the 2010 gt out for the first time tonight.. a couple of observations.. it is faster or about the same accel. as my 02 wrx. The steering however is not as nimble it definately feels like a bigger heavier car and is not as responsive in the steering.. However it is much quieter and feels much more stable when going down the road. Can I live with it like this you bet. I need a boost gauge though..

I would like to see a marketing breakdown before I am willing to agree.

Legacy sales:

2009 30,974

2010 38,725

2011 42,401

Obviously, 2012 sales aren't available yet, but both January and February were record breaking (double digit gains) for both the Legacy and the Outback (Outback sales are even higher than Legacy by more than 2 to 1)

No idea what the breakdown by trim level is - Subaru doesn't release that info - which is why I referred generically to the 5th gen Legacy.

That's a shame. Sad news for manual subie drivers. More market for SH-AWD though - closest alternative IMO.

I like the g37X as a comp. Reasonably similar perfect numbers with AWD and similar packages and size

We might not be on the same page..

Not too sure of the performance numbers, however I was actually looking from the rear legroom perspective (edmund's):

Legacy - 37.8

Acura TL - 36.2

Infiniti G37 - 34.8

Infiniti M37 - 36.2

F10 - 36.1

A6 sedan - 36.9

Need for a kiddie hauler.. :)

I think almost all of the fourth genners are owed an apology as well. When the 5th Gen 2.5GT (mainly bc 6spd only) was released, the majority of us said it was the signaling of the death of the 2.5GT. Everyone laughed...
If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

I think almost all of the fourth genners are owed an apology as well. When the 5th Gen 2.5GT (mainly bc 6spd only) was released, the majority of us said it was the signaling of the death of the 2.5GT. Everyone laughed...

Agreed 100%.

SOA is such a big cluster phuck. And no, there won't be any sportwagons, why in the world would they do that ??? Camrification of Legacy is pretty much complete, isn't that what SOA was shooting for since 2004 ???

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Archived