LegacyGT.com

Legacy GT to be Discontinued

08 WGT

The Limited models feature perforated leather upholstery, the All-Weather Package that includes heated front seats and mirrors and a windshield wiper de-icer (package optional for Premium), dual zone automatic climate control, a four-way power front passenger seat, the display-type harman/kardon premium audio package (optional for Premium) with a 4.3-in. color display, 440-watt amplifier,

http://media.subaru.com/index.php?s=43&item=309

Ooohhhh.. a 4.3" colour display. But I thought the car was for people who couldn't see properly? It should be a 15" screen.

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes it's available for now, but for how much longer? The turbo powerplant was not revised with the rest of the line. My Fiancee has one and I hardly ever see others on the road. There are only 2 new XTs for sale at local dealerships in Pittsburgh. When she got hers she had to settle for a color she didnt want because there were none in white available. Granted this is better than the LGTs... I have only ever seen 1 5th gen LGT, EVER, In an area where Subarus are very common.

...I suspect that the Forester XT will survive until the new model shows up in '14 even if that means it goes order only. Even though the EJ was not updated it's still shared w/the WRX and I believe orders for both are still being taken.

I am not surprised at all by this news. They made it look like a grandpa car and then they fitted it with a 6-speed that no grandpa wants... The aesthetics scared away the young people who would want the Manual.

...I'm not so surprised by the decision either, but if the model wasn't selling and I also suspect bringing down the average mpg of the brand's lineup it may have been time to remove it from the mix for a little while. As for the Aesthetics, we all agree that the 4th gen looked better but imho I wouldn't say it looks granpa-ish. It's pretty plain, but out side of the BR-Z and last gen Legacy I wouldn't call any Subaru a looker and I'm not convinced most people purchase them b/c of the looks (regular buyers and enthusiasts alike). The last gen LGT didn't do gangbusters in sales be it manual or automatic so I'm not convinced that argument holds weight.

And as far as 4th vs 5th gen, If the redesign affected the Legacy's driving characteristics like it did the Forester's then I can understand why people complain. My Fiancee is not an enthusiast, she knows nothing about cars, she had an 05 FXT that she traded in for the 11 FXT she drives now. She tells me all the time how she misses her old car. How it was more fun to drive and the size was better for her. As result I am not going to get a new car, I'm going to be adopting her 11 FXT so she can get something else ("Not a Subaru" she has stated :icon_roll).

...other than 0-60 the BM > BL in measurable performance numbers. Have fun w/the FXT, I think it has lots of potential to be an entertaining ride after a visit to the Cobb, AVO, and Mann Engineering websites :)

Finally.

"Retuned Suspension Enhances Agility and Ride Quality Numerous enhancements to the body structure, suspension, and steering give the Legacy a smoother and quieter ride for 2013, while also delivering improved handling agility. Body roll has been reduced by up to 40."

But no turbo!

Soooo..... mine comes April 9th... arguably one of "the last"..... now I'm thinking, do I walk away from it? I drive an Altima SER with 185k miles.... I can go looking again. Don't know. Would it be a bad thing to own it now?

I was talking about the WRX/STi. The BRZ is a Toyota with a Subaru engine and wrong wheel drive.

You will never call RWD wrong wheel drive for a performance car. The BRZ was engineered by Subaru. No use debating this in the LGT thread. Subaru killed this car when they decided to build a ho-hum car with no enthusiast features but a mandatory manual tranny.

You will never call RWD wrong wheel drive for a performance car. The BRZ was engineered by Subaru. No use debating this in the LGT thread. Subaru killed this car when they decided to build a ho-hum car with no enthusiast features but a mandatory manual tranny.

What enthusiast features did previous generations include??

Soooo..... mine comes April 9th... arguably one of "the last"..... now I'm thinking, do I walk away from it? I drive an Altima SER with 185k miles.... I can go looking again. Don't know. Would it be a bad thing to own it now?

...why would you walk away from it?

What enthusiast features did previous generations include??

...electro-luminscent gauges, turn signal mirrors, and multi-stage seat heaters :lol:

:rolleyes: Even more incentive to hold onto mine...I'll probably end up getting another car for a DD in a couple years and keep the spec.B for a weekend/project car and maintain it's Legacy

thinking the same.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

cause no mods

My car has the following, a few more than "no" and I haven't even added the RacerX TMIC or a BBK yet.

Cobb AP

BC Coilovers

JDM Spoiler

Hella Horn Kit

Whiteline Rear Differential Bushings

TiC Cross Member Bushings

Group N Trans Mount

Whiteline Adjustable 24mm Front Sway bar

Whiteline Adjustable 20mm Rear Sway bar

AVO Panel Filter

AVO Turbo back Exhaust

ACT SB5-HDSS Clutch

ACT Streetlite Flywheel

isn't that what you said earlier ?

There is a lack of mods, and there aren't many choices, but that's because there isn't much demand. Powerwise, as long as you don't want to go much beyond stage 2, your fine. Several braking upgrades. Coilovers, sway bars, bushings, etc.

I'm certainly frustrated we've been waiting 3 years for a shock option....but that should finally be available in May.

Here it is in the official Subaru dirt:

Three Trim Levels

The 2013 Subaru Legacy 2.5i is available in three trim levels – base, Premium, and Limited. The Legacy 3.6R is available in base and Limited. Standard features in the Legacy 2.5i include steering wheel cruise control and audio switches; a 60/40 split fold-down rear seat, electronic parking brake with Hill Holder System and an automatic headlight function. The standard audio system in the 2.5i model is upgraded for 2013 to now include Bluetooth® hands-free phone capability and audio streaming, iPod® control capability, and a USB charging port. The system continues with an AM/FM stereo, single disc CD player, Radio Data Broadcast System (RDBS), 3.5mm aux. input jack, and four speakers.

Legacy Premium models add the Lineartronic CVT plus additional amenities, including a 10-way power driver's seat, a pair of dash-mounted tweeters, leather-wrapped steering wheel and shifter, body-colored side mirrors, 17-in. alloy wheels (all 3.6R trim lines have 17-in. alloy wheels as standard), and other amenities.

The Limited models feature perforated leather upholstery, the All-Weather Package that includes heated front seats and mirrors and a windshield wiper de-icer (package optional for Premium), dual zone automatic climate control, a four-way power front passenger seat, the display-type harman/kardon premium audio package (optional for Premium) with a 4.3-in. color display, 440-watt amplifier, nine harman/kardon premium speakers, and standard XM Satellite Radio® service (four-month free trial subscription included), and, new for 2013, a rear A/C duct, and electro-luminescent gauges. The Limited models also exclusively offer an available voice-activated GPS navigation system with a rear vision camera, and XM NavTraffic® (four-month free trial subscription included), among other features. A power moonroof is available for the Premium and Limited models.

Subaru produces a full line of all-wheel drive sedans, crossovers, and SUVs, and for 2013 has also introduced the rear-wheel drive BRZ sports car to its portfolio.

The Legacy 2.5GT model is discontinued for 2013.

http://media.subaru.com/index.php?s=43&item=309

...I suspect that the Forester XT will survive until the new model shows up in '14 even if that means it goes order only. Even though the EJ was not updated it's still shared w/the WRX and I believe orders for both are still being taken.

I hope it does Survive, I just don't think they sell very many of them. Also, will the 2.5 Turbo survive? The BRZ has a 2.0 and I am sure a turbocharged version of that will become available, will it also be adopted by the WRX platform?

...I'm not so surprised by the decision either, but if the model wasn't selling and I also suspect bringing down the average mpg of the brand's lineup it may have been time to remove it from the mix for a little while. As for the Aesthetics, we all agree that the 4th gen looked better but imho I wouldn't say it looks granpa-ish. It's pretty plain, but out side of the BR-Z and last gen Legacy I wouldn't call any Subaru a looker and I'm not convinced most people purchase them b/c of the looks (regular buyers and enthusiasts alike). The last gen LGT didn't do gangbusters in sales be it manual or automatic so I'm not convinced that argument holds weight.

I admit my previous statement was a bit subjective but I do believe the Features/Options on the 5th gen LGT were poorly matched. Who exactly was the target market for this vehicle? They should have retained an AUTO option (is there a technical reason why they did not? Engine compartment clearances, etc.?)

...other than 0-60 the BM > BL in measurable performance numbers. Have fun w/the FXT, I think it has lots of potential to be an entertaining ride after a visit to the Cobb, AVO, and Mann Engineering websites :)

Don't get me wrong, I do like her 11 FXT quite a lot. The adoption process should be one to look forward to, unfortunately it's adoption will require me to sacrifice my LGT so she can get a different vehicle. The FXT is not comparable to my LGT in most ways. The body roll, and softness can be mended by aftermarket solutions, the 4AT is dissapointing however...:spin:

The "mods" that I would be interested in are out already. I'm a 38 year old dad - who loves the size of the Legacy and the power the GT puts out (the age group which I think the GT was designed for which is different than the previous gens) However, with the discontinuation of the car... do parts get more expensive? Does it become a problem with servicing it 5 years down the road?

IMO - I do think that the manual was a big downer (a seller part to me though) The majority of people who drive family sedan-type cars like that seem to want less to do with the operation of a car, but instead wants it to entertain them.... Look at the way they are marketed now vs. the way trucks still are (entertainment and nav systems vs. power and torque)

There is a connect with a vehicle with the manual which I think has been a lost appreciation. If you have a family - a true sports car would be your third ride it seems. People are too busy to enjoy the driving part and car companies are taking note. Why a single guy/gal would even want a Legacy when the "sporty" options (WRX and STi) are available would want it not for the power. The Spec B and earlier GT gens fought the maximas and accords - and you can see where those brands went - family rides (heck the maxima is a HUGE car vs. the earlier versions) with very little in the after market. The Legacy just followed the same path - just makes business sense.

Just speculating here Island:

In my experience with 1980s VWs the after market continues for a while if the cars have enough of a following. maybe 5 to 10 years for those who currently make aftermarket, then other after market stuff picks up after 15-20 years if the following is there. A lot of the time these will be enthusiasts.

For OEM stuff on import cars, there is usually a decent back stock of spares for 10-15 years, then some things start getting harder to find. (things like window seals, interior bits. Common wear and maintenance items like ball joints, filters, brakes, and tie rods tend to stick around for a long long time, and sometimes are pretty universal.

I am brand new to subaru but I understand they are like VW's in the "play legos" sense of parts from generation to generation.

Archived