LegacyGT.com

Legacy GT to be Discontinued

08 WGT

if you use the car as, well, a car to transport people and things, where you have adult-sized folks in the front and back seats, as well as stuff in the trunk - the WRX and STi fall far, far, far behind the Legacy in terms of comfort and space.

If what you really need is an SUV and you're trying to squeeze it into a car - then LGT might be better than WRX/STI. When I have to carry around 2-3 adults and lots of crap to fill the trunk - I rent a larger car. That's like 0.5% of my driving.

The Legacy is quieter, more comfortable, rides better, uses better materials, and has better tech. I like driving both, but the WRX and STI are in no way shape or form better than an LGT in anything other than performance... and the LGT has more midrange and top end punch than the WRX.

I am not comparing '12 LGT to WRX straight up. I am trying to justify replacing my spec.b with either one. '12 LGT does not offer anything additional to me in the 'refinement' department. If I'm going for a DD with more performance, sacrificing some refinement, then WRX/STI are ahead of LGT for me. Hence I don't care that there will be no LGT for MY13.

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Framed windows makes the car look cheap and common, and breaks up the nice clean look by requiring a piece of filler glass in the rear doors.

That's your personal thing. I completely disagree with you. I have never looked at a car and said oh... it has framed windows... that looks so cheap and common. The filler piece of glass is dependent on how long the door is. My STI... framed windows. no extra glass in the door.

I am not comparing '12 LGT to WRX straight up. I am trying to justify replacing my spec.b with either one. '12 LGT does not offer anything additional to me in the 'refinement' department. If I'm going for a DD with more performance, sacrificing some refinement, then WRX/STI are ahead of LGT for me. Hence I don't care that there will be no LGT for MY13.

Personal preference. I bailed on my 2005 LGT for a 2008 WRX because I wanted a smaller car and better performance. If neither a new GT or WRX or STI is for you, then that's the decision you'll make.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

well put, performance is not an issue - its just not as attractive as it could or should be! Love the carmy quote too, I always say the same thing! why did they mimic other cars?

I would like to see a marketing breakdown before I am willing to agree. In the south, where Subaru is just now starting to catch on, there was NO advertising outside of the Tribeca. Not to mention there wasn't any dealers outside of a couple of major metropolitan areas. (Atlanta). So I wouldn't say that just an increase in sales is a clear indication of the new models success. Also, I would like to see a breakdown of how many previous leggy buyers made the "upgrade".

Personally I don't think the car is "fat". It just looks "fat". They made it too bland, and many of my peers agree. (those being the <30 crowd) I have no problem with added leg room,size etc. It's just the ackward "I want to be a camry" looks that I hate. I won't take the thread anymore off topic, but I won't be buying the 5th just due to looks. However, I do like the fact that it is bigger, but not the fact that it is uglier. But I guess it's all subjective and there is no real way to prove my hypothesis without hard numbers, ones that I would have no clue, or will, to find.

Oh, 1 more thing. A good many gm/Chrysler dealers that were doing well and lost their franchise licenses during the restructuring bought Subie franchises to replace them with; instead of going out of business or becoming just used car dealers. That happened during 08 and 09, so a greater dealer base also has it's advantages. As it's a number game.

I think we start a petition on facebook or change.org to keep the Legacy ALIVE!!! I will spearhead it if there was enough interest, I just can't see a clear and logical reason as to why the car is being phased out? Unless a new 4 door is in the works with a new name and Identity to try and capture new and old customers. I am sad and hope this is just that, a minor wait for a better 4 door performance car via Subaru.

On a good note many of our cars will retain there value even more so! esp the spec. b's !!!

Everyone keeps saying that the LGT is comparable in size to an A4 is out of the freaking minds and/or hasn't sat or attempted to fit something into either.

I ruled out the A4 immediately as there's almost 0 headroom, minimal space in the rear seats for things like car seats and you can't fit a set of golf clubs in the trunk of an A4 without removing clubs.

'20 Legacy XT Touring

13 Subarus and counting: http://jmaigroup.com/subarus/

They made it too bland, and many of my peers agree. (those being the <30 crowd) I have no problem with added leg room,size etc. It's just the ackward "I want to be a camry" looks that I hate.

well put, performance is not an issue - its just not as attractive as it could or should be! Love the carmy quote too, I always say the same thing! why did they mimic other cars?

I have news for you...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/now-know-why-legacy-always-looked-camry-31034.html?t=31034

Your car looks like a Camry too :eek:

Look man, "subjectivity" it not a new concept. It's pointless of me to go on further down this road if you think your interpretion on our subject matter is absolute/infallible.

So humor me - go to the dictionary, and look up what "size" means - pretty sure there's nothing there about "comparable sacrifice" - so I guess we're making up definitions as we go...

I'm no medical physician man, but "to me" - calling yourself "Dr.." so and so, and has no idea what the word "subjectivity" denotes, is definitely comical..
I'm not a physician either - however, there are many other folks who earn the title "Dr" through education. (the whole "Ph.D." thing... Anyway - while subjectivity is certainly a concept I am familiar with, communication is another one - and making up new meanings for a word on the fly is sort of counter to that...

So basically, I try not to invent new meanings to a word when using it - as an example, using "size" to somehow correlate to "sacrifices" when chosing one car over another.

That being said, lets look a bit more closely about "sacrifices" one might be making with the LGT, and how those equate to the A6 rather than the A4 - clearly, it's not interior room, as the A4 is comparable, so how exactly does the LGT equate to what you get with the A6 there? clearly it's not features, as the A4 is comparable (if not better equipped) to the LGT. So what is it? How is the sacrifice for the WRX/STi similar to the A4? The A4 has much more interior room, and is far better equipped - so what is it? where is the similarity? As for the A6, it's larger and far better equipped than any of the other cars (LGT, WRX/STi, A4) - comparing it to one of them as being "similar" is nonsensical.

So where's the basis for the analogy? Subjectivity is one thing, but when comparisons which have no basis in reality are being thrown around, it sort of goes out the window... there's nothing to be "subjective" about.

Already knew this. But that gen camry wasn't as bad as the new ones.(personally I kinda liked them, only they are front wheel drive, and I didn't want front wheel drive. I wanted AWD or RWD) I use camry as a generic statement, but it looks more like the altima if anything. or a mismatch of the altima and the accord.

Framed windows makes the car look cheap and common, and breaks up the nice clean look by requiring a piece of filler glass in the rear doors.

Exactly.

The 4th generation was the pinnacle of engineering.

Frameless windows? Whatever...I like to hear the wind leaking in at highway speeds. At least the car doesn't look cheap.

And 18" wheels add too much weight. 17"s and some killer tires...like Bridgestone RE92's would be awesome!

Plenty of room in the 4th gen's 11.4 cubic foot trunk. Who really needs 14.7 cubic feet??

And how about stage 1 on the 5th gen? If I wanted that kinda power out of a Legacy I'd rather get a 4th gen and do a up/down pipe and tune.

And eliminating the banjo filter and adding dual AVCS? Perhaps the single worst thing about the 5th generation re-design.

:rolleyes:

I ruled out the A4 immediately as there's almost 0 headroom
that's surprising - it's rated as almost the same (40in. vs. 40.3 in) and is higher than the TL (which is 38.6 in.) - I wonder if the seats were raised up or something? The trunk is definitely smaller than the legacy - I love the trunk lid linkage in the Legacy - everything inside the trunk is useable space, with no intrusion from the trunk lid mechanism!

Exactly.

The 4th generation was the pinnacle of engineering.

Frameless windows? Whatever...I like to hear the wind leaking in at highway speeds. At least the car doesn't look cheap.

And 18" wheels add too much weight. 17"s and some killer tires...like Bridgestone RE92's would be awesome!

Plenty of room in the 4th gen's 11.4 cubic foot trunk. Who really needs 14.7 cubic feet??

And how about stage 1 on the 5th gen? If I wanted that kinda power out of a Legacy I'd rather get a 4th gen and do a up/down pipe and tune.

And eliminating the banjo filter and adding dual AVCS? Perhaps the single worst thing about the 5th generation re-design.

:rolleyes:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

that's surprising - it's rated as almost the same (40in. vs. 40.3 in) and is higher than the TL (which is 38.6 in.) - I wonder if the seats were raised up or something? The trunk is definitely smaller than the legacy - I love the trunk lid linkage in the Legacy - everything inside the trunk is useable space, with no intrusion from the trunk lid mechanism!

He might've been talking about rear headroom. Personally, there's not enough rear headroom for someone like me (5-11) in A4, last gen 3-series, Infinity G-sedan. Even in current WRX my head won't bump against the roof on bumps. "Official" measurements might say otherwise.

..So where's the basis for the analogy? Subjectivity is one thing, but when comparisons which have no basis in reality are being thrown around, it sort of goes out the window... there's nothing to be "subjective" about.

DrD123, hypothetical situation: you are the dad in a family of four with two of which are school aged children. You are now faced with the decision of purchasing the family car. Choosing only between the Audi A4 and A6, which vehicle will this family acquire and why? :spin:

DrD123, hypothetical situation: you are the dad in a family of four with two of which are school aged children. You are now faced with the decision of purchasing the family car. Choosing only between the Audi A4 and A6, which vehicle will this family acquire and why? :spin:
Well - that pretty much exactly describes my family situation (2 kids, both in school, one wife, not in school :)), and part of the decision I went through back in October - anyway, if forced to pick between the two, I'd go with the A4 because I prefer a manual transmission and, having multiple kids, minimizing the hit on the wallet by $10k or so is always a good thing. Also - moving from my old WRX to the Legacy was already a big step in size (I prefer a smaller car - but being tall, when I had the seat back so that I could sit comfortably, no one could really fit in the back behind me - hence I pretty much had to go with the larger car - it was a shame that the rear trunk/hatch space was so small in the WRX/STi - with the longer wheelbase (over the old 99" ones) the rear seat had plenty of room for the kids) and the A6 is pretty big and very heavy... However, in reality, I went with the Legacy GT over the A4 :)

I see no reason for the Legacy to continue being sold. It is basically a hollow shell of what it once was, and is now competing against the Camry which is not acceptable to Toyota. Besides the Camry is the better car of the two since it has no pretenses about being sporty.

Well - that pretty much exactly describes my family situation (2 kids, both in school, one wife, not in school :)), and part of the decision I went through back in October - anyway, if forced to pick between the two, I'd go with the A4 because I prefer a manual transmission and, having multiple kids, minimizing the hit on the wallet by $10k or so is always a good thing. Also - moving from my old WRX to the Legacy was already a big step in size (I prefer a smaller car - but being tall, when I had the seat back so that I could sit comfortably, no one could really fit in the back behind me - hence I pretty much had to go with the larger car - it was a shame that the rear trunk/hatch space was so small in the WRX/STi - with the longer wheelbase (over the old 99" ones) the rear seat had plenty of room for the kids) and the A6 is pretty big and very heavy... However, in reality, I went with the Legacy GT over the A4 :)

Just curious - why not an Outback for the space if you have two kids and needed a family car?

Would you have bought a Legacy wagon if it was available?

Just curious - why not an Outback for the space if you have two kids and needed a family car?

Would you have bought a Legacy wagon if it was available?

Too much body roll in the outback, otherwise I would have probably considered it over the legacy. If the legacy wagon drove just like the sedan (I wouldn't know), id definitely take the added hauling ability of a wagon

Camry vs Legacy 3.6R? That was a no brainier for me. One word, or maybe three, AWD. If that ain't important to you, or you do not understand it, why come here in the first place? You can put aggressive tires on a FWD and get by, I did it for 10 years in the NC mountians with a Maxima. But trust me, you will be walking up the hill to your house while the AWD's pass by you effortlessly when you get a big snow storm.

Camry vs Legacy 3.6R? That was a no brainier for me. One word, or maybe three, AWD. If that ain't important to you, or you do not understand it, why come here in the first place? You can put aggressive tires on a FWD and get by, I did it for 10 years in the NC mountians with a Maxima. But trust me, you will be walking up the hill to your house while the AWD's pass by you effortlessly when you get a big snow storm.

I refuse to own another fwd car again. Useless...

..I'd go with the A4 because I prefer a manual transmission and, having multiple kids, minimizing the hit on the wallet by $10k or so is always a good thing..

So there you go. Everybody's entitled to their own opinion. In that situation, I prioritize the comfort of said family with the A6 as they will always be more valuable than any vehicle I'll ever own. I leave it at that.

So there you go. Everybody's entitled to their own opinion. In that situation, I prioritize the comfort of said family with the A6 as they will always be more valuable than any vehicle I'll ever own. I leave it at that.

So...you're implying that an A6 will do better in a crash than a legacy....as well as Dr being a bad dad because he "prioritized his car over his family"?

And I am sure the Outback is fun to drive, but no way it compares to the Legacy with the 3.6R. Have your cake and eat it too.

Fun to drive? :lol:

I had one for a week (5th gen Outback 2.5i). It had more room in the rear seats than my 4th gen LGT wagon but less or the same room everywhere else while being much bigger on the outside. What a POS that car was. I am so happy to have my 4th gen back.

Subaru has lost the plot in keeping old buyers while making cars worse than the competition in the attempt to attract new buyers. I'd rather have a Camry than the crap Subaru builds nowadays.

Archived