LegacyGT.com

Legacy GT to be Discontinued

08 WGT

Fun to drive? :lol:

I had one for a week (5th gen Outback 2.5i). It had more room in the rear seats than my 4th gen LGT wagon but less or the same room everywhere else while being much bigger on the outside. What a POS that car was. I am so happy to have my 4th gen back.

Subaru has lost the plot in keeping old buyers while making cars worse than the competition in the attempt to attract new buyers. I'd rather have a Camry than the crap Subaru builds nowadays.

....yeah, I will say test driving the 2.5i Outback was the one of the bigger let downs.

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply
RIP Legacy GT...you'll be missed. Still remember paging through the 2005 brochure lusting over the all black Limited GT centerfold. Had to get two of them...a silver 4 door GT for me and a Atlantic Blue GT wagon for my wife. Those were some fun years!

True, should have said I assume the Outback is somewhat fun to drive (with 3.6R) but I have not driven it. However, if you don't think the Legacy 3.6R is fun to drive, especially with the RCE/Blisteins combo, I again submit you have not ridden shotgun with me in the NC mountains I know like the back of my hand. I would have you in the floor board, big dog.

True, should have said I assume the Outback is somewhat fun to drive (with 3.6R) but I have not driven it. However, if you don't think the Legacy 3.6R is fun to drive, especially with the RCE/Blisteins combo, I again submit you have not ridden shotgun with me in the NC mountains I know like the back of my hand. I would have you in the floor board, big dog.

The moment I took the first turn in the outback (tested the 3.6r since I would have preferred a wagon), I headed straight back to the dealership. I felt like I was gonna tip over :lol:.

The Outback surely isn't a corner carver but it is good at what it was designed to be. We have no complaints with ours. CVT works perfectly fine and it tackles 75mph on the highway with ease at about 2K rpm. I use cruise religiously on highway because if I don't I find myself going 80+ pretty easily due to it being so quiet. We didn't lease it to be fun and it surely isn't. I went away from Legacy line for my vehicle because I wanted a fun daily driver again and my GTI doesn't disappoint. Subaru wants performance minded people to drive the WRX of BRZ...not the Legacy anymore.

Fun to drive? :lol:

I had one for a week (5th gen Outback 2.5i). It had more room in the rear seats than my 4th gen LGT wagon but less or the same room everywhere else while being much bigger on the outside. What a POS that car was. I am so happy to have my 4th gen back.

Subaru has lost the plot in keeping old buyers while making cars worse than the competition in the attempt to attract new buyers. I'd rather have a Camry than the crap Subaru builds nowadays.

This. Subaru changed the demographics with the 5th Gen. There's nothing wrong with that - but some people refuse to admit it.

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

No? Like I said - there's nothing wrong with it. Like KRB said, Subaru is losing the majority of 4th Gen buyers with the 5th Gen - but making it up (and more) with the whole new demographic - and they're ok with that. So am I. It just means I wont be buying another Subaru.
If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

The problem is that I don't think Subaru has shown the ability to compete with the likes of Toyota or Honda or whathaveyou. Not on price, not on design. Their quality seems to match up, but they deliver less car for the buck, IMO. So while their pie slice might marginally increase, it's not gonna be by much. They will stay a large niche manufacturer if their current products are the best they can do.

The moment I took the first turn in the outback (tested the 3.6r since I would have preferred a wagon), I headed straight back to the dealership. I felt like I was gonna tip over :lol:.

Same impression, had 2.5i Outback with 17 miles on it as dealer rental while they worked on wife's Tribeca. It was scary to drive after Tribeca which rides like a tank.

I would not even think to attempt taking a spirited turn in new Outback.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

No? Like I said - there's nothing wrong with it. Like KRB said, Subaru is losing the majority of 4th Gen buyers with the 5th Gen - but making it up (and more) with the whole new demographic - and they're ok with that. So am I. It just means I wont be buying another Subaru.

Very well said.

The problem is that I don't think Subaru has shown the ability to compete with the likes of Toyota or Honda or whathaveyou. Not on price, not on design. Their quality seems to match up, but they deliver less car for the buck, IMO. So while their pie slice might marginally increase, it's not gonna be by much. They will stay a large niche manufacturer if their current products are the best they can do.

There's so much wrong today with Honda USA... But Toyota and Korean car makers are to be taken seriously if Subaru is to continue their halo sales success.

Disagree, kind of. I think the problem is lack of focus on kit, fit and finish. You get plenty of car for the money, but not the kind of stuff that sells cars to the Camry/Corolla crowd.

Same impression, had 2.5i Outback with 17 miles on it as dealer rental while they worked on wife's Tribeca. It was scary to drive after Tribeca which rides like a tank.

I would not even think to attempt taking a spirited turn in new Outback.

Scary to drive? Seriously? I have driven our Outback for about one year in various conditions and it has takes everything we throw at it. We had a Tribeca for 3 years and the ride quality was nothing to write home about. Also kept having to replace the sway bar bushings because they would dry out and create lots of suspension noise over bumps. Subaru opted for suspension compliance with the Outback not a corner carver and I am fine with it...benefit is it handles our frost heaved roads like a champ. Also I would be willing to bet it would handle some light duty off road action pretty well the way it is set up. Never has it been marketed as some kind of handling machine...it is a station wagon with SUV like ground clearance but not SUV like fuel consumption. Perfect family vehicle for me.

Really? I would actually argue the exact opposite point. Getting a better handling car with AWD for the same price as a camry/accord with similarly equipped options? I'd say you get more bang for your buck with a Subaru, and you pay a premium for a Toyonda. Why do you think Kia and Hyundai are doing so much better? They're offering the same quality, for less. I'd say the WORST bang for your buck japanese family sedan would be a Toyonda actually.

Really? I would actually argue the exact opposite point. Getting a better handling car with AWD for the same price as a camry/accord with similarly equipped options? I'd say you get more bang for your buck with a Subaru, and you pay a premium for a Toyonda. Why do you think Kia and Hyundai are doing so much better? They're offering the same quality, for less. I'd say the WORST bang for your buck japanese family sedan would be a Toyonda actually.

AWD doesn't necessarily equal better handling. My stock 05 LGT wagon had such soft suspension it made me seasick. And 99% of the time, fwd will get people there just fine, and that's all the masses want.

Maybe you're right on bang for buck,but I'd rather get a Hyundai over a Subaru for a plain old family car daily driver.

I don't know that I'd say Hyundai/Kia are the same quality as Toyota/Honda. I find their interiors still lacking in the quality department. While everything looks pretty nice it doesn't feel near as nice as their Japanese competition, or Ford for that matter.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

AWD doesn't necessarily equal better handling. My stock 05 LGT wagon had such soft suspension it made me seasick. And 99% of the time, fwd will get people there just fine, and that's all the masses want.

Maybe you're right on bang for buck,but I'd rather get a Hyundai over a Subaru for a plain old family car daily driver.

Oy, by better handling, I meant compared to a camry/accord, not anything about the cornering ability of AWD vs FWD. And why would your AWD drivetrain have anything to do with the stiffness of your springs and struts?

Remember, we're still talking about family sedans here. AWD is better bang for your buck than FWD if you're talking about what your dollar is going to when purchasing the car....if we're now somehow actually discussing what the mainstream wants again, it's MPG, and Price. Your average buyer doesn't care or even know or if their car is FWD/AWD/RWD. FWD just happens to be the cheapest to produce, and the most fuel efficient.

I don't know that I'd say Hyundai/Kia are the same quality as Toyota/Honda. I find their interiors still lacking in the quality department. While everything looks pretty nice it doesn't feel near as nice as their Japanese competition, or Ford for that matter.

I agree, but they're certainly getting a lot closer than they were 10yrs ago!

FWD is fine for most people.

The majority of Ford Escapes I see around here have an empty hole where the rear differential would have been mounted.

Subaru is still behind the competition on creature comforts and that's where it counts.

And why did the Outback lose the big moonroof? That was one nice feature.

Despite the body roll, the Outback isn't that bad

I can fling ours around (without the kids of course) fairly decently.

Will it keep up with touring or sports sedans, hell no, but compared to other cars (read 5 pass SUVs) which is competes against it does very well.

And to update the response on the no headroom in the a4, I'm only 5' 8" and I felt a bit uneasy in the A4 even in the front, but I was coming out of the outback, seems to me I would have checked the seat height position, I don't remember since it was last year, but it's possible it was up a bit.

'20 Legacy XT Touring

13 Subarus and counting: http://jmaigroup.com/subarus/

Archived