LegacyGT.com

Legacy GT to be Discontinued

08 WGT

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Tribeca was more of an SUV than the Outback ever will be.

It's like saying an Audi Allroad is an SUV. How about a Volvo XC70? Nope. Lifted sedan-based family wagons.

Hell, even the Explorer is hardly an SUV any more with suspension lifted directly from the Taurus.

Just because true SUVs have been dumbed down to family-car status, doesn't mean you can call the Outback an SUV.

Calling the Outback an SUV would be like saying an Audi Allroad is the same as a Q7. Or an XC70 is the same as an XC90. Christ, you could even say that the Camry really is the same as a Sequoia.

Tribeca and Outback are both crossovers. One takes the form of a traditional looking SUV, one takes the form of a wagon. Both are classified as light duty trucks. Both qualify as SUVs. The line blurred on SUVs a long time ago when crossovers were thrown into the mix. Your definition is outdated, but that's on you. If you're seriously fighting this battle, your still stuck in 1990. A square is a rectangle but a rectangle isn't necessarily a square.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The definition of "SUV" has gotten more and more broad over the years to the point it's just a term tossed around at will.

The Outback is a crossover, not an SUV, despite what SOA B4 tries to tell you.

The Forester, RAV4, CRV and all those other silly little things are nothing more than cute-utes.

The definition of "SUV" has gotten more and more broad over the years to the point it's just a term tossed around at will.

The Outback is a crossover, not an SUV, despite what SOA B4 tries to tell you.

The Forester, RAV4, CRV and all those other silly little things are nothing more than cute-utes.

cute utes are still SUVs. And they are also crossovers. An Outback is a crossover wagon, and also an SUV.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

cute utes are still SUVs. And they are also crossovers. An Outback is a crossover wagon, and also an SUV.

If I put a lift kit on my Legacy, does it become an SUV?

If I put a lift kit on my Impreza wagon, does it become an SUV?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Seriously? Should I just ask you the same regarding why the Outback is not an SUV?

I ask you to back up your "facts" and I get rolly-eyes :lol:

The Outback started life from day 1 as a wagon on stilts. Plus the fact that it has sh1tty approach/departure angles, never did offer adjustable suspension, low-range transfer box, locking diffs, etc..

Just because you put a lift kit on something doesn't make it an SUV. Which is such a blurred term now you might as well call the Legacy an SUV.

Speaking of which - if an Outback is an SUV, why isn't a Legacy an SUV?

How about a Ford Escape FWD. Is that really an SUV?

Mazda CX7 - SUV?

Hardly. Let's just call them what they are - cute utes and crossovers.

I ask you to back up your "facts" and I get rolly-eyes :lol:

The Outback started life from day 1 as a wagon on stilts. Plus the fact that it has sh1tty approach/departure angles, never did offer adjustable suspension, low-range transfer box, locking diffs, etc..

Just because you put a lift kit on something doesn't make it an SUV. Which is such a blurred term now you might as well call the Legacy an SUV.

Speaking of which - if an Outback is an SUV, why isn't a Legacy an SUV?

How about a Ford Escape FWD. Is that really an SUV?

Mazda CX7 - SUV?

Hardly. Let's just call them what they are - cute utes and crossovers.

Take it up with Merriam Websters

Outback does offer low range outside of the US. At the time of its inception, it wasn't even on stilts. The Outback was an Outback in two town paint only. The legacy classifies as a car... the Outback is lifted as a light truck. FWD Escape and CX-7 as SUV's? yes. Time to get with the times. Cute utes and crossovers are subsections of SUV...regardless of capability.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I suppose if an Outback fits into both the "crossover" and "suv" classifications, then a Chevy Tahoe, Suburban, Expedition - they're all crossovers too?

Nope, because they are body on frame. Remember the rectangle and squares analogy?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Crossovers are, by definition, vehicles that sit between passenger cars and SUVs. People buy crossovers when they don't want SUVs or for when a conventional passenger car is too small.

Speaking of which, I also thought a long time ago that the Outback should have become more distinct from the Legacy. Think A4/Q5.

Crossovers are, by definition, vehicles that sit between passenger cars and SUVs. People buy crossovers when they don't want SUVs or for when a conventional passenger car is too small.

Speaking of which, I also thought a long time ago that the Outback should have become more distinct from the Legacy. Think A4/Q5.

You're not very good at this.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossover_(automobile)

A crossover (also called CUV: crossover utility vehicle) is a vehicle built on a car platform and combining, in highly variable degrees, features of a sport utility vehicle (SUV) with features from a passenger vehicle, especially those of a station wagon or hatchback.

Legacy:Outback:Forester

A4:Allroad:Q5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

compared to a car, the outback is rugged... and it classifies as a light truck

you don't remember this brouhaha?

What parts of the Outback's suspension has been "ruggedized" for heavier duty use? Hell, they stuck Impreza brakes on the 4th gen Outback, smaller than those on the Legacy. Show me where the Outback's suspension, braking and steering components are beefier than those found on the Legacy and you may have a point.

They're all lifted right from the Legacy which as far as I know is virtually the same as the Impreza. It might as well be a Honda civic from a "ruggedized" perspective.

And I do remember the classification controversy - they did it to skirt fuel economy regulations, not because they wanted to market it as a truck.

Your definition of a crossover proves my point - it's a blend of bits and features taken from cars and SUVs. The Outback is somewhere in the middle, it isn't a full on SUV.

It doesn't at all. Crossovers are a subset of SUVs.

What parts of the Outback's suspension has been "ruggedized" for heavier duty use? Hell, they stuck Impreza brakes on the 4th gen Outback, smaller than those on the Legacy. Show me where the Outback's suspension, braking and steering components are beefier than those found on the Legacy and you may have a point.

They're all lifted right from the Legacy which as far as I know is virtually the same as the Impreza. It might as well be a Honda civic from a "ruggedized" perspective.

And I do remember the classification controversy - they did it to skirt fuel economy regulations, not because they wanted to market it as a truck.

Definition of RUGGED

obsolete : shaggy, hairy

: having a rough uneven surface : jagged <rugged mountains>

: turbulent, stormy <rugged weather>

a : seamed with wrinkles and furrows : weathered —used of a human face b : showing facial signs of strength <rugged good looks>

a : austere, stern b : coarse, rude c : rough and strong in character

a : presenting a severe test of ability, stamina, or resolution

b : strongly built or constituted : robust <those that survive are stalwart, rugged men — L. D. Stamp>

defining what on an outback is "rugged" would be highly subjective. Body cladding alone could be called "rugged."

The added ground clearance could be strongly built or constituted in that it's a lot harder to puncture the under carriage than a car.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I was always under the impression that the term "crossover" was a marketing ploy to help overcome the "evil SUV" mindset which many have nowadays - sort of like "ooh - it's not an SUV, it's a Crossover, so I guess it's ok"... I also thought that Subaru raised the outback up (well - the Legacy outback wagon) so that it could be classified as an SUV and they could do things like tint the rear windows from the factory...

Archived