LegacyGT.com

Legacy GT to be Discontinued

08 WGT

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt we'd ever find out the answer to this, but I'll ask anyway. I'm curious which LGT sold more... 4th or 5th gen.

My guess is that it'd be pretty close. Obviously overall the 5th Gen Legacy sold a lot more than the 4th Gen, so theoretically the 5th Gen GT would have higher numbers. Since its manual only, though - the market was limited. Where since the 4th Gen had an automatic option, the market was larger, so the numbers would be pretty similar. Does that make sense?

Guesses?

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

I doubt we'd ever find out the answer to this, but I'll ask anyway. I'm curious which LGT sold more... 4th or 5th gen.

My guess is that it'd be pretty close. Obviously overall the 5th Gen Legacy sold a lot more than the 4th Gen, so theoretically the 5th Gen GT would have higher numbers. Since its manual only, though - the market was limited. Where since the 4th Gen had an automatic option, the market was larger, so the numbers would be pretty similar. Does that make sense?

Guesses?

I'd guess more 4th gen GTs, if only because of the auto and longer production span.

I bet there are less than 1000 5th gen GTs. Sad to see a niche car die.

True! I forgot about the longer production span. Could average it per year, then. I'd still be very interested to see the numbers.

I wasn't a big fan of the 5th Gen but I was hoping that the 6th gen would turn it around and offer something I did like since right now Subaru has lost me as a customer. So yeah, it is sad to see it go.

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

True! I forgot about the longer production span. Could average it per year, then. I'd still be very interested to see the numbers.

I wasn't a big fan of the 5th Gen but I was hoping that the 6th gen would turn it around and offer something I did like since right now Subaru has lost me as a customer. So yeah, it is sad to see it go.

I think the best guess was based on Subaru saying something like < 10% of 5th gen production were manuals and deriving a production number from there.

Maybe the new sportwagon will replace the GT? It is supposed to be sized between the Impreza and Outback, which would make the 04-09 LGT owners happy.

I, as a forth gen owner, would like a bigger car. But I hated the looks of the 5th gen. The revision has spruced it up a hair, and I don't dislike it as bad, but I don't see the point in killing off the gt.

Overall the 4th gen sold more, but the car was dead sometime around the 2007 model year. SOA was forcing dealers to take them to hit its profitability needs. They had to be discounted and supported with incentives to sell. It was counterintuitive. With Subaru's new crop of products selling like crazy, the GT was no longer needed. Customer's spoke on the BL GT early in its life, but FHI kept pushing them on SOA anyway.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Overall the 4th gen sold more, but the car was dead sometime around the 2007 model year. SOA was forcing dealers to take them to hit its profitability needs. They had to be discounted and supported with incentives to sell. It was counterintuitive. With Subaru's new crop of products selling like crazy, the GT was no longer needed. Customer's spoke on the BL GT early in its life, but FHI kept pushing them on SOA anyway.

Does this mean that the remaining unbought 5G GTs would possibly be sold with (more) incentives as well? I'm not sure if I follow the logic here correctly, sorry.

... but FHI kept pushing them on SOA anyway.

Wasn't it clear right around 2005 that SOA does not share FHI's view and effectively sabotages vehicles that would prove them wrong ? Stripping options, making stupid configurations that no one wanted, not advertising products that didn't fit their vision to later claim them "not selling" ? People here were predicting early death of 5th gen GT just based on how it was configured. We had multiple discussions about SOA sucking life out of 4th gen as well (like 7 version of silver colors). I know you'll give me fire hose full of SOA Cool-Aid but hundreds people here can't be all blind and dumb.

Anyway, it looks like party is over my dear Legacy friends. If you want any performance Subary vehicle, WRX/STI will be the only way to go...

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Does this mean that the remaining unbought 5G GTs would possibly be sold with (more) incentives as well? I'm not sure if I follow the logic here correctly, sorry.

I wouldn't imagine so. There aren't enough out there to warrant it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wasn't it clear right around 2005 that SOA does not share FHI's view and effectively sabotages vehicles that would prove them wrong ? Stripping options, making stupid configurations that no one wanted, not advertising products that didn't fit their vision to later claim them "not selling" ? People here were predicting early death of 5th gen GT just based on how it was configured. We had multiple discussions about SOA sucking life out of 4th gen as well (like 7 version of silver colors). I know you'll give me fire hose full of SOA Cool-Aid but hundreds people here can't be all blind and dumb.

Anyway, it looks like party is over my dear Legacy friends. If you want any performance Subary vehicle, WRX/STI will be the only way to go...

SOA is owned by FHI. They get some say, but ultimately they do what FHI wants. The GT was a slow seller and still is.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The GT was a slow seller and still is.

But of course.

Funny this feels like liberation. No more worrying about whether I should be looking to get new Legacy. Ha ! :rolleyes:

If you want any performance Subary vehicle, WRX/STI will be the only way to go...

...well not exactly, I believe that the Forester XT is still available. There are some concessions to be made though as it isn't a car and it has 4-speed auto, but it's still turbocharged and all wheel driven w/a reasonable feature set. It has a decent aftermarket and also works well for family duty as well, I seriously considered getting one before I made the trek to get my LGT.

Meh...wasn't going to buy a 5th gen anyways.

The real question is this decision permanent, or will there be a GT in the next gen.

My guess is no, but who knows.

May be when FHI gets their own Akio Toyoda.

:ohhh:

Figures. I had finally landed on the LGT for my new car that I need to purchase. Looks like I absolutely have to go the luxury route now to get a decent sized sedan with a sporty engine and a M/T. Ugh.

...just doing a little searching I'm still '12 LGTs in NJ and MA, one each. IF you really want one contact Miller Ford Lincoln Subaru (NJ) or Patrick Subaru (MA) to see if either car is available and their best price. If necessary, put a refundable deposit down to hold the car you want until you can get to the dealership. That's how I was able to get my car and made the trip from VA to NJ to pick it up. Hope this helps.

Yep, through all New England States there's only 1 GT available at Patrick Subaru:

http://www.newenglandsubaru.com/subaru_vnext.asp?modeltrim=Legacy%20Sedan%20GT&state=MA

Well, this should pretty well kill most of the aftermarket 5th gen support. Unless there's significant parts overlap with the new WRX.

Aftermarket was already dead. Going into the 3rd model year and we still don't even have a shock option available.

...well not exactly, I believe that the Forester XT is still available. There are some concessions to be made though as it isn't a car and it has 4-speed auto, but it's still turbocharged and all wheel driven w/a reasonable feature set. It has a decent aftermarket and also works well for family duty as well, I seriously considered getting one before I made the trek to get my LGT.

Yes it's available for now, but for how much longer? The turbo powerplant was not revised with the rest of the line. My Fiancee has one and I hardly ever see others on the road. There are only 2 new XTs for sale at local dealerships in Pittsburgh. When she got hers she had to settle for a color she didnt want because there were none in white available. Granted this is better than the LGTs... I have only ever seen 1 5th gen LGT, EVER, In an area where Subarus are very common.

I am not surprised at all by this news. They made it look like a grandpa car and then they fitted it with a 6-speed that no grandpa wants... The aesthetics scared away the young people who would want the Manual.

our next vehicle will probably be from another brand.

And as far as 4th vs 5th gen, If the redesign affected the Legacy's driving characteristics like it did the Forester's then I can understand why people complain. My Fiancee is not an enthusiast, she knows nothing about cars, she had an 05 FXT that she traded in for the 11 FXT she drives now. She tells me all the time how she misses her old car. How it was more fun to drive and the size was better for her. As result I am not going to get a new car, I'm going to be adopting her 11 FXT so she can get something else ("Not a Subaru" she has stated :icon_roll).

It was a slow seller because Subaru kept limiting choices. You could have any colour as long as it was dull, there were no multimedia options, they killed the wagon, etc...

Maybe Canada will still get the GT...

Subaru's lineup sucks even more.

No GT, but it comes with eyesight. I guess Subaru's target market are octogenarians with a tendency to fall asleep at the wheel.

So that leaves a total of zero performance models from Subaru unless you want a tricked out economy car.

Archived