LegacyGT.com

BRZ video

DeathD

GXP? Lol, enjoy your car engineered from leftover parts. I testdrove a few last summer. Interior rattles/squeaks were louder than the engine, lol. And interior is a complete junk. Steering feel was almost non-existent to me. Stock suspension is marginal. It could be made quick in a straight line, but it is not fun to drive. Ten times out of ten I'd choose a used s2k over this.

I do very much, all cars have there negatives. I looked & drove the S2000 & BMW Z4. They where $35k-$40k+. & yes they had better interior & tranny. The GXP only cost me under $27k. I put $1,500 in performance tune & chassis braces. I have a car the out preforms the S2000 & the BMW Z4. And have saved myself $6.5k-$11.5k.

I have over 71k. 15k OCI's, and it use no oil. The only thing I replace is tires. I'm on my 2nd set.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And you all agree with me. It will be slow.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I do very much, all cars have there negatives. I looked & drove the S2000 & BMW Z4. They where $35k-$40k+. & yes they had better interior & tranny. The GXP only cost me under $27k. I put $1,500 in performance tune & chassis braces. I have a car the out preforms the S2000 & the BMW Z4. And have saved myself $6.5k-$11.5k.

I have over 71k. 15k OCI's, and it use no oil. The only thing I replace is tires. I'm on my 2nd set.

Mike

Not sure relative to what you 'saved'. I want a car with decent gearbox, responsive and communicative steering and decent interior. Cause that's what I'm gonna be doing mostly during DD-ing it. And all the same stuff for tracking it + easy on the tires. I don't care about 'outperforms', I want to have fun.

Like I said - I tried GXPs and they don't fit the bill because I'll hate every minute of being in one, shifting, steering.

And 15k OCI in a turbo car??? Hm.

Not sure relative to what you 'saved'. I want a car with decent gearbox, responsive and communicative steering and decent interior. Cause that's what I'm gonna be doing mostly during DD-ing it. And all the same stuff for tracking it + easy on the tires. I don't care about 'outperforms', I want to have fun.

Like I said - I tried GXPs and they don't fit the bill because I'll hate every minute of being in one, shifting, steering.

:rolleyes:

Hypocrite.

You give me crap for saying something negative about the BRZ (which, it turns out, some of your BRZ loving brothers agree with me about), and all you spout is bad for the GXP?

10/10, I'd choose a used Elise over the BRZ.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Same OCI I run on my 05 LGT, with almost 187k on the original motor & turbo. The tune gives you 290bhp & 345btq. The chassis braces greatly improve the steering feel & handling of the car. I commute 120 miles a day. This car is fun to drive. For the price point of the car. It out preforms cars in it's class thats $5K to 10k more in price. The interior only need to be conformable & functionable for me. I didn't pay BMW price, so I did expect BMW interior. The tranny is decent for a 5 speed. It gets the job done. Bottom line IMO, for the money, the GXP is more "go" for you dollar. The other two is more "show". When a car is built at a price point. Theirs always compromise. Some lean toward performance, some in the middle and some towards luxury. To have it all, you taking north of $70k on the low end & over $1Millon at the top.

It's your money, buy whatever car you like. But for it's class & price point of the BRZ. It's still going to be a great handle, slow sport coupe. When I hear the BRZ was come out & saw pics. I was ready to trade my GXP in for one. Until I read how slow it was going to be. For the price their asking for it.

Mike

15K OCI on a GT? holyballs... :eek:

Ya I get that a lot. :eek::):lol:

I dont know about you but I want a refined car, I dont care how much power it gonna put down since I'm not racing for a living and I know I won't need 500Hp to DD

Don't need 500hp either. It all about balance of performance & the cost of a car. This car for the sticker price is not balance IMO. For the $24k- $27k asking price. It needs a min. of 60 more hp. To balance the handling & looks of this car. Now if the price tag was $18k to $21k. That would bring the BZR in balance with it's all around performance numbers. That's way I think if rumors are true. The Scion version will sell more then Toyota & Subaru.

Mike

I think cost of ownership over time would be less for a BRZ. Having some amenities is nice too.

Plus there's the ability to climb into a BRZ without smacking my knee on the roof. :lol:

They aren't that bad, really. It's a Toyota engine and transmission, so it's maintenance costs are about the same as a Celica.

What you will go through, are tires and brake pads. But even those will last quite a while because the car is so light.

Getting into and out of an Elise IS a tricky bit. It takes some getting used to, but once you figure it out, it becomes easy. I'm 6'1 with long legs, and don't have any problem getting into one or driving one. They are, easily, the most fun cars I've ever driven. Especially turbocharged.

Used Lotus Elise would be great, but it's really an apples an oranges comparison. The Elise would be a used mystery car with no warranty and virtually no dealer support. The BRZ is a joint venture car designed to compete against other mass produced pseudo econo-sports cars. The Elise is a true limited production sports car and comes with all the baggage.

You could bring up any production GM, Ford, Hyundai, Toyota, Nissan, Chrysler and I could find a used enigmatic car out there with that costs about the same.

I would love a used elise however.... :)

• Mega Users
Yea. Because subaru's have never had spotty reliability...This will be a brand new design and will likely have some issues. Hopefully not too major, but only time will tell! Saying that buying a newly designed car is less of a gamble than a used car with known decent reliability is ridiculous. You find an elise with known good maintenance history. It's not a car that people will generally let fall to shit and sell.

Yea. Because subaru's have never had spotty reliability...This will be a brand new design and will likely have some issues. Hopefully not too major, but only time will tell! Saying that buying a newly designed car is less of a gamble than a used car with known decent reliability is ridiculous. You find an elise with known good maintenance history. It's not a car that people will generally let fall to shit and sell.

A guy could buy a used Mustang, Corvette, Camaro or BMW 1 series too.

Get a used one for 22,900 with 31K miles.

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/content/cpo/modelsearch.aspx

http://images.cobaltgroup.com/3/8/4/4598186483x400.jpg

Used Lotus Elise would be great, but it's really an apples an oranges comparison. The Elise would be a used mystery car with no warranty and virtually no dealer support.

Elises are pretty reliable and engine/tranny parts are readily available. It's just not a good DD. For a pure weekend/track car I'd pick it over BRZ.

Why would a BRZ be any more suitable a DD than an Elise? It's got a back seat, but just barely. It's got a hatch, but again just barely. The space you are giving up in the Elise is really minimal compared to the reviews I've read about the BRZ's interior room.

I haven't put much seat time in an Elise as a daily, but the times I've driven them on shakedowns they are perfectly streetable. They are a bit stiff, and a bit noisy, but they are perfectly drivable cars, and easy to get used to. They have radios, air-con, heat, power steering, power windows, everything. They are even good in the snow with good snow tires.

It was brought up earlier, that the BRZ is a scalpel and that was why "fast" wasn't in it's CV. So if we are talking about scalpels, the Elise is as good as it gets.

If we are talking about daily-drivers that someone might occasionally track, there are certainly other cars that would be better than the BRZ. The Genesis Coupe is one.

Elises are pretty reliable and engine/tranny parts are readily available. It's just not a good DD. For a pure weekend/track car I'd pick it over BRZ.

Definitely not a dd where I live. The roads would hammer the sports supension to death.

Why would a BRZ be any more suitable a DD than an Elise? It's got a back seat, but just barely. It's got a hatch, but again just barely. The space you are giving up in the Elise is really minimal compared to the reviews I've read about the BRZ's interior room.

I haven't put much seat time in an Elise as a daily, but the times I've driven them on shakedowns they are perfectly streetable. They are a bit stiff, and a bit noisy, but they are perfectly drivable cars, and easy to get used to. They have radios, air-con, heat, power steering, power windows, everything. They are even good in the snow with good snow tires.

It was brought up earlier, that the BRZ is a scalpel and that was why "fast" wasn't in it's CV. So if we are talking about scalpels, the Elise is as good as it gets.

If we are talking about daily-drivers that someone might occasionally track, there are certainly other cars that would be better than the BRZ. The Genesis Coupe is one.

There is always the cost factor. You can get about 2 BRZ for one elise. For a lot of people, you have to assume that your daily driver is going to get beat up on the roads - especially if it's a small, low to the ground sports car. Not many people on an LGT forum want to be beating on a 50K+ car daily.

Also, where is the closest lotus dealer? I have only 8 in a 10 hour driving radius and only one within a 3 hour driving radius. While I could use it daily, I'd have to think for how long that could go on before I had to stop and only use it as a special occassion auto.

It's easy to find a used Elise for under $27k.

The powertrain is all Toyota, and most shops local racers go to can handle fixing one.

I'm not saying the Elise is for everyone, but I'd buy a uses one before buying a BRZ.

And if I was going to DD it more than use it as a toy only, I'd get a Genesis instead of a BRZ.

It's easy to find a used Elise for under $27k.

The powertrain is all Toyota, and most shops local racers go to can handle fixing one.

I'm not saying the Elise is for everyone, but I'd buy a uses one before buying a BRZ.

And if I was going to DD it more than use it as a toy only, I'd get a Genesis instead of a BRZ.

I'm going to buy a BRZ, daily drive it, and enjoy the F*** out of it just to spite you. ;)

Archived