LegacyGT.com

BRZ video

DeathD

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This car will be underpowered for some. It will be quick for others. In manual form it will get better gas mileage than every other manual in Subaru's lineup except the Impreza. The auto will be the same. Both will be far sportier than everything except the WRX and STI, and the BRZ will handle better than both out of the box as well. For someone looking for a sporty, economical, nice looking car that offers better tech than anything Subaru even offers in the rest of the lineup, it will make the cut.

I see plenty of Civic Si's and GTI's on the road and this car will probably be very similiar in acceleration numbers to both but with better driving dynamics than either.

I know BAC5.2 will still call that slow, but that is personal preference. For me anything mid to low sixes is quick. Something in the 8 second plus range is slow. Something high to low 5's is fast, and something sub 5 is really fast. It may be slow for some, but if this car starts around $21k for the stripper scion and around $25k for the more optioned Subaru, I'd call it a win.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I know BAC5.2 will still call that slow

You are correct.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

This car will be underpowered for some. It will be quick for others. In manual form it will get better gas mileage than every other manual in Subaru's lineup except the Impreza. The auto will be the same. Both will be far sportier than everything except the WRX and STI, and the BRZ will handle better than both out of the box as well. For someone looking for a sporty, economical, nice looking car that offers better tech than anything Subaru even offers in the rest of the lineup, it will make the cut.

I see plenty of Civic Si's and GTI's on the road and this car will probably be very similiar in acceleration numbers to both but with better driving dynamics than either.

I know BAC5.2 will still call that slow, but that is personal preference. For me anything mid to low sixes is quick. Something in the 8 second plus range is slow. Something high to low 5's is fast, and something sub 5 is really fast. It may be slow for some, but if this car starts around $21k for the stripper scion and around $25k for the more optioned Subaru, I'd call it a win.

You nailed the target market of Civiv Si's and GTI's. Some auto critics say it's even designed to compete against the Mustang and Camaro V6. I just can't see it competing against those two. People who buy the Mustang and Camaro are American V8 wannabees that couldn't afford the extra price, insurance and gas.

Car manufacturers don't come out with the fastest model right away. Subaru admits that it integrates technology in over a period of time. It gives them time to get the bugs out of the base model.

While I'm predicting this won't be the next cult classic Datsun 240Z (said to be underpowered when introduced) of sports cars. I think Subaru combining with Toyota will make it mildly successful. The problem is the market isn't what it was in the 1970s for the Nissan. The 240Z came into a market full of V8 beasts that melted rubber and handled like the Titanic.

I've got mixed feelings about the car not being AWD. Don't know if it hurts Subaru's business model or not. Subaru's marketing that all their cars are AWD will be no more.

Underpowered? Yes, Slow? Sort of. It will be fun to see if this develops into a platform for Subaru competing in other areas. It does open new doors....

http://www.newcarbuyingguide.com/images/articles/CollectorsCars/08Datsun015.jpg

I may consider it as well. I really would like to know how much different the

motor will be than say what's in the WRX/STi. If doing a swap isn't too bad,

the price may still be worth doing a transplant and not wait for the turbo

version.

Just saw a clip with the Scion with a tach reading up to 9k. Could this be

on a boxer motor stock? The styling may be hit or miss, but I think the

mechanical engineering of Subaru and Toyota may actually work.

And by the way, those whining about it not having a turbo, you need to

drive a high revving 4 that is light and can corner. I guarantee you that

you will be surprised with this car. Being able to hold gears through long

sweepers is key on the track.

I agree on this. Had one of the first gen MIVEC engines on the older CB4A/ CA4A mitsubishi lancer. The 4G92 MIVEC has a displacement of 1600cc w/ DOHC redlines at 7500 rpm and cut-off at 8,200 and produces 175hp in stock form. This engine was mated to a 5spd tranny w/ torsen LSD from factory, but my car had the cusco clutch type one. The car was a very compact and light. It handled predictably and really well on the track, autox, and on hillclimbs w/ the appropriate suspension mods for the course you're racing on. heel and toe and left foot braking helps you in maintaining the rpm in the power band during shifts and corner entry. During fun runs, I was able to keep-up w/ SW20 MR2 turbos. I miss it, had to leave it back home. Now its sitting in my parents garage.

Only went turbo here, as I can't see myself driving a high reving honda. Now that the subaru is coming out, I'll be really looking into it.

dont know if this guy is wrong but i just spoke to the sales manager who sold me my 3.6r and he says it will also be available in the USA with a twin turbo option.

what? I don't ever seem them putting two turbos on this engine. it doesn't make sense. but who knows...

two small turbos makes alot of sense. This is the kinda car where boost lag is especially bad b/c linear power delivery is a top priority. 2 small turbos or a proper sequential turbo setup can give power delivery similar to a supercharging or NA setup with more power. Now they can never eliminate the turbo lag entirely, but TT can come close as long as they aren't going crazy with the hp/tq numbers(which seems pretty unlikely). I'm guessing no more than 275-300 hp for the HO version.

Already ordered mine(#1 on list), should come in mid May. There are no turbo options, and won't be until at least 2015 model year. Engine is very high compression many of the tuners who have been lucky enough to get their hands on one have been doing engine swaps for the ej's instead of using the fa motor in it(high compression with toyota injections system). Subaru has said they have a turbo going on this motor but didn't state wether it would be in this car. The turbo will likely be the new electronic assisted ones that Subaru has gotten patents on.

Already ordered mine(#1 on list), should come in mid May. There are no turbo options, and won't be until at least 2015 model year. Engine is very high compression many of the tuners who have been lucky enough to get their hands on one have been doing engine swaps for the ej's instead of using the fa motor in it(high compression with toyota injections system). Subaru has said they have a turbo going on this motor but didn't state wether it would be in this car. The turbo will likely be the new electronic assisted ones that Subaru has gotten patents on.

Congratulations.

I read that this motor & turbo combo was going in the next Gen. WRX. I guess we'll wait & see.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

"I wish those damn ninjas would stop chopping onions..."

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjWaz4M4qy8]SUBARU é™å®šCM éºä¼å­ã‚·ãƒ§ãƒ¼ãƒˆãƒ•ã‚£ãƒ«ãƒ ç¯‡ã€€SUBARU Short Film " -DNA- Your Story With" - YouTube[/ame]

Congratulations.

I read that this motor & turbo combo was going in the next Gen. WRX. I guess we'll wait & see.

Mike

It will be going in the BRZ. Second model year.

Then it might actually be fast enough to consider.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Cool! Good for you. Not everyone needs a testosterone laden v8. So many people are based on HP or cylinders. It's like they have to be able to pull out stumps or go 0-60 in 3.0 seconds or they aren't man enough.

The BRZ will be released as an MY13 car. The Turbo will be available on the MY14 car, mark my words.

Subaru was sort of smart not making it a turbo right off the bat. They need to analyze the market and the sales figures after the release. My master subaru tech friend said they will be coming out with a turbo version if sales and demand is there for the car period.

It's was the same with the Pontiac Solstice & Saturn Sky . The N\A ,2.4L DI came out in 2006 & the GXP & RedLine in 2007, 2.0L DI turbo charge. 2.4L started around 22k & the 2.0L around 28k.

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Subaru was sort of smart not making it a turbo right off the bat. They need to analyze the market and the sales figures after the release. My master subaru tech friend said they will be coming out with a turbo version if sales and demand is there for the car period.

Toyota will be coming out with it, regardless. Subaru will because they will have already designed it.

Subaru already expects low sales, so hopefully they are wrong. I'd love to see the BRZ be fast, and follow the design progression that the GR STi did. Every year, that car has gotten meaner and meaner looking.

If Toyota pushes the right buttons, we could have a nasty little car on our hands. All we need are more secretaries to buy the slow N/A ones.

....Car manufacturers don't come out with the fastest model right away. Subaru admits that it integrates technology in over a period of time. It gives them time to get the bugs out of the base model.

Toyota will be coming out with it, regardless. Subaru will because they will have already designed it.

Subaru already expects low sales, so hopefully they are wrong. I'd love to see the BRZ be fast, and follow the design progression that the GR STi did. Every year, that car has gotten meaner and meaner looking.

If Toyota pushes the right buttons, we could have a nasty little car on our hands. All we need are more secretaries to buy the slow N/A ones.

Something we agree on. Something is wrong with the universe or maybe at least one planet in the solar system.....Uranus.

New video from insideline showing actual performance numbers.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9FhVwDNyQ0&feature=g-all-u&context=G24a7771FAAAAAAAAAAA]2013 Subaru BRZ Track Test Video -- Inside Line - YouTube[/ame]

I must say that I am not impressed at all. With good suspension upgrades to my legacy, I would have sooooo much more fun in my car. My car is already quicker. I'm sticking to my leggy.

Why would you buy a BRZ if all you were concerned about is straight line performance?

I'm willing to be you'd be putting a lot of money into your 3.6 to make it handle anything remotely close to a BRZ.

Valid point, but it is possible. Check out the 5th gen suspension thread. I don't think this car will sell well in Northern states, but it will boost sales where winters are mild to wimpy. Just my opinion. If I took this car out for a summer drive, I'm sure I could have fun.

Archived