LegacyGT.com

First snow, VERY disappointed

I just laughed at the RE-92's a few posts back.... but, as long as you stay on perfectly dry roads, they aren't that bad and are actually decently grippy if you warm them up.

Though on dry roads, they will chirp for no apparent reason. On wet roads, it will just let go completely without warning. There is no transition feel, you can turn, and the car will just slide straight but it doesn't feel any different to you in the car, you just vaguely realize "Hey its not turning" and realize you f'ed up and scramble to correct.

No I never crashed because of RE-92's, but did learn a scary experience in the rain.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just laughed at the RE-92's a few posts back.... but, as long as you stay on perfectly dry roads, they aren't that bad and are actually decently grippy if you warm them up.

Though on dry roads, they will chirp for no apparent reason. On wet roads, it will just let go completely without warning. There is no transition feel, you can turn, and the car will just slide straight but it doesn't feel any different to you in the car, you just vaguely realize "Hey its not turning" and realize you f'ed up and scramble to correct.

No I never crashed because of RE-92's, but did learn a scary experience in the rain.

I didn't realize someone could be so inattentive when driving, to not notice understeer. Again, your example is not the tires fault, but the drivers. I never once had that issue, and when they would understeer, it was easy enough to correct. If you are ever in a situation where you have to SCRAMBLE to correct, it's unlikely to be the tires fault.

I stand behind my comments, and the statement that RE92's are one of the most fun tires you can drive. They slide when you want, and are easy to break loose at relatively low speeds.

I do agree with the <20k usable life. As I said before, the limits of the tire drop to unacceptable levels below half-tread depth.

The RE92 isn't a performance all-season, but it's a very good passenger car all-season tire. I'm sick of people saying how badly the tires suck, when the tires aren't at fault. They aren't sentient. They don't 'decide' when to have traction and when not to.

There are BETTER all seasons, more geared for high performance than the RE92. Lots of people like the Conti DWS, though I don't know how quickly the S wears off the face (only the first few 32's are "rated" for snow use, though they are still likely a great tire in snow after that). I run the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus now, but I'll probably switch to the DWS for my next set of tires.

On my first-gen, this is what my friend and I did with RE92's when they surpassed their useful life:

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii287/bac52/l_7207ef3e222b0c2669d4f9ce9079a689.jpg

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I didn't realize someone could be so inattentive when driving, to not notice understeer. Again, your example is not the tires fault, but the drivers. I never once had that issue, and when they would understeer, it was easy enough to correct. If you are ever in a situation where you have to SCRAMBLE to correct, it's unlikely to be the tires fault.

I stand behind my comments, and the statement that RE92's are one of the most fun tires you can drive. They slide when you want, and are easy to break loose at relatively low speeds.

I do agree with the <20k usable life. As I said before, the limits of the tire drop to unacceptable levels below half-tread depth.

The RE92 isn't a performance all-season, but it's a very good passenger car all-season tire. I'm sick of people saying how badly the tires suck, when the tires aren't at fault. They aren't sentient. They don't 'decide' when to have traction and when not to.

There are BETTER all seasons, more geared for high performance than the RE92. Lots of people like the Conti DWS, though I don't know how quickly the S wears off the face (only the first few 32's are "rated" for snow use, though they are still likely a great tire in snow after that). I run the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus now, but I'll probably switch to the DWS for my next set of tires.

On my first-gen, this is what my friend and I did with RE92's when they surpassed their useful life:

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii287/bac52/l_7207ef3e222b0c2669d4f9ce9079a689.jpg

I didn't say I didn't notice, but rather they give no warning and you have to know what you are doing, which sad to say is not many people on the road. I'm on Michelins right now, they chirp and scream on dry pavement, and shutter and slide on wet pavement. Compared to the RE-92 they let you know "We are going to let go" rather just let go completely.

I have the DWS's and you have to work to get it sideways.

This is true. This is my 3rd winter (~20k miles) with mine and I really had to get on it to break traction on ~4-5 inches of unplowed wet snow in an empty parking lot.

Then again, I have a 2.5i :redface:

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

I'm also tired of people coming on here assuming that Subaru's are treaded vehicles in the snow like this.

http://uploads.notempire.com/images/uploads/subaru_sti_snow_car.jpg

It's 70% driver, 30% tire.

I'm excited to see how this thing does in the snow, with the broke ass firestones on it. I can guarantee it will do better in Icy conditions than my Jeep with a Locked front axle and BFG KM2's, But Deep snow, the Jeep is gonna be a tank. Hoping to find a decent set of winter tires before we get too much snow though.

I'm also tired of people coming on here assuming that Subaru's are treaded vehicles in the snow like this.

http://uploads.notempire.com/images/uploads/subaru_sti_snow_car.jpg

It's 70% driver, 30% tire.

74% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

That said, it's true -- it's more about the driver. The bottom line is that even if you have studded snows, if you drive like an idiot in the snow, you're not gonna last long. Snows are a tremendous help, but they don't forgive poor driving.

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

I say pony up and get a dedicated set of snows. Well worth the money and safety. I am

not saying they will make your car a tank in snow, but it could be that little extra traction

or reduced stopping distance that could save your life. Remember that it's only four small

contact patches that connect you to the road. Same concept of getting dedicated summer

tires for warm weather traction.

I had my summer setup on Saturday and a short trip proved to be too much for the tires.

I immediately went home and swapped the winters on. I was following a truck through

4-5 inches of unplowed wet snow on the shoulder when everyone was at a standstill

cause a car carrier truck couldn't make it up the slope. This is with a lowered car and

front lip, so I was probably shoveling a bit of snow up front.

You didn't almost crash because of the tire. You almost crashed because you were overdriving the tire.

They carried my 400whp car through the winter, and saw it through rain when it was RWD. They are a great tire, if you drive them appropriately and they are one of the most enjoyable tires I've driven. They break away cleanly, and are audible at the limit.

Drive within the limits of the tire. That's driving-101.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii287/bac52/5e54e148.jpg

I was cruising at highway speeds when all my hydroplaning happened. I vividly remembered I was cruising at 65 miles/hr on I-405 when it was raining, out of nowhere my car hydroplaned and I nearly lost control.

The second time I was traveling around town and I was doing about 40 miles/hr, I was travelling down a barely elevated slope and it was raining. When I was about 30 feet away from crossing a green light, the light changed to yellow and I was about 20 feet away from the green light now, I had to quickly slam my brakes but the car slide forward. Fortunately for me the car stopped sliding just right after crossing the white line.

Those 2 events were bad enough for me, I tossed the tires soon after that. Now I am with potenza 960RS, they are awesome tires and I feel so much safer now.

Everyone has their own opinion. Personally for me, the RE92 are the most terrible tires ever. I believe I was driving within the limits of the tires, unless you are telling me that tires are suppose to hydroplane at 65miles/hr on highways then I guess everybody with RE92 should drive like a grandma whenever it rains.

• Mega Users

RE92s rated worst tire in existance for this guy. Although a decent all season tire, everyother aspect they are terrible.

Do exactly what I did, I was in your situation. Buy Hankook V12s for summer and blizzak WS70s for winter. Sell RE92s

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

I had my summer tires on heading from Danbury back to the valley, absolutely BLEW.. abs everywhere and had it sitting still spinning 'em all in my driveway. Swapped over to my snows and much, much better. I had all seasons prior to my snow/summer sets, and as expected they were right down the middle of both in dry/wet/snow. My all seasons were not RE92's

RE92s rated worst tire in existance for this guy. Although a decent all season tire, everyother aspect they are terrible.

Do exactly what I did, I was in your situation. Buy Hankook V12s for summer and blizzak WS70s for winter. Sell RE92s

Same summers but Michelin Xice winters, both sets on factory LGT wheels for quick swap

I vividly remembered I was cruising at 65 miles/hr on I-405 when it was raining, out of nowhere my car hydroplaned and I nearly lost control.

Out of nowhere, or you hit a body of standing water? Because the latter I believe, and is up to you as a driver to be observant of (and can be tricky to see, granted, and easy to miss). You were cruising at 65mph in bad conditions. This is not the fault of the tire. How many miles did they have on them at the time?

I was doing about 40 miles/hr

I was travelling down a barely elevated slope and it was raining

20 feet away

quickly slam my brakes

car slide forward

the car stopped sliding just right after crossing the white line.

Broke this down into the important facts. You were able to stop on RE92s going downhill in the rain from 40mph in *20 feet*. How is this a sign of a bad tire? I believe the "safe" stopping distance for that speed is >100 feet.

BINGO, the magic word here is "re92's" Those tires SUCK in the snow. It's well documented

Get any other good all-season tire and you'll be fine.

I put snow's on my GT's but that's only because I go skiing every weekend in the season.

My 98 and 00 GT"s never had snows on them.

Hey ima skiing many many times this year myself just bought a set of used Rossignol 167's and some Telemark bindings going to try something new this season

back on topic :lol: re92 = poo

DWS's are good or go full winter tire setup

I know noone likes the RE-92 that much but come on, the list of expectations for this tire are hilarious...

It should stick like an UHP summer tire on dry tarmac

It should stick like a rain-biased tire in the wet

It should deal with snow like an UHP all-season tire

It should be silent and wear like a touring tire

It should add nothing to the purchase price of the vehicle

It should fulfill Subaru's needs for availability and zero warranty claims

Any other feature requests? ;)

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I know noone likes the RE-92 that much but come on, the list of expectations for this tire are hilarious...

It should stick like an UHP summer tire on dry tarmac

It should stick like a rain-biased tire in the wet

It should deal with snow like an UHP all-season tire

It should be silent and wear like a touring tire

It should add nothing to the purchase price of the vehicle

It should fulfill Subaru's needs for availability and zero warranty claims

Any other feature requests? ;)

Would be nice it paddles engaged making the LGT amphibious :)

Would be nice it paddles engaged making the LGT amphibious :)

Spec-B only. Sorry.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Archived