LegacyGT.com

First snow, VERY disappointed

It's one of the reasons that you'll end up crashing, too. Don't come crying here when your insurance company denies you coverage because you weren't running suitable tires.

Since when are "all seasons" not suitable? Winter is a season, and is covered under the "all" banner.

Your insurance policy probably only requires you to exclusively use snow tires in the winter, because you lost control of your car at 5mph on perfectly good All-Seasons.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's one of the reasons that you'll end up crashing, too. Don't come crying here when your insurance company denies you coverage because you weren't running suitable tires.

Really? Deny coverage. Come on.

Bacs5.2 knows that winters are better. He's just messing with you a little bit.

Correct. The RE92 is undeserving of its poor reputation. It's a good tire, and one that's extremely fun when you are in the mood to get loose.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Since when are "all seasons" not suitable? Winter is a season, and is covered under the "all" banner.

Your insurance policy probably only requires you to exclusively use snow tires in the winter, because you lost control of your car at 5mph on perfectly good All-Seasons.

Note how they're called "All season" and not "all weather". Sure, use them in the winter, just don't use them in the snow.

From my insurance company's website, applies to all policy holders:

Driving without winter tires will not void your insurance in the event of a claim or mean that you are automatically at-fault for a crash. If you get in a crash where winter tires could have helped, it may be a deciding factor in determining whether or how much you are at-fault.

and one that's extremely fun when you are in the mood to get loose.

You can have more fun in the snow with snow tires than with the RE92s since they're much more responsive to driver input. When you no longer want to slide sideways, a dab of throttle pulls you right out. With the RE92s it's wait.. wait.. wait.. there we go, traction!

No, he's being cheap and stupid and it will end up costing him in the long-run.

Pilot Sports are cheap? Let me know where!

All I've said, repeatedly, is that RE92's are undeserving of their poor reputation. People use tires, the RE92 in excess, as a scapegoat. Case in point, you lost control at 5mph on them. I used various sets for 6 winters without the slightest incident.

I must not be as fast and furious.

You can have more fun in the snow with snow tires than with the RE92s since they're much more responsive to driver input. When you no longer want to slide sideways, a dab of throttle pulls you right out. With the RE92s it's wait.. wait.. wait.. there we go, traction!

Again, not at all my experience. I never had any issue pulling out of a slide, or anything of the sort. I'm not sure why you had such a problem.

Maybe your alignment was off, or your tire pressures were off?

Alignment and pressure is fine. The tires sucked, took them off, stuck the Nokians on and never had a problem.

There's not much you can botch up at 5mph. The back of the car slid all over the place. Didn't help that it was the 4EAT either. The XT lost the RE92s at 10,000 miles. They were subsequently stolen from the side of the garage. Saved me the hassle of burning them.

I will say that I had used a set of BFG Traction T/A (All-season) on the first Outback for a while. Much better than the RE92 for their first winter, sucked for their second. Took it out to the Costco parking lot to have some fun, turned the steering wheel and the car went straight... straight... then finally started to turn. Swapped them for more Nokians the next day and tossed them on the fire too.

Sounds like it wasn't the tires that sucked. I had 6 perfectly safe winters with the RE92's. I wasn't going 60 in a 25, but I managed to get along just fine without any dirty looks or embarrassing "stuck" moments. I know snow tires would have improved overall performance, but I was fine remaining within the limits of the RE92.

Maybe you should consider taking a winter defensive driving course? There isn't much you can botch at 5mph, but somehow you were able to lose control. Finding out what you did wrong might help you become a better driver, instead of having you rely on a fancy tire to cover the gap in driver skill.

Now where can I find Pilot Sports for cheap?

LOL @ insurance companies denying a claim or finding you at fault because you had all seasons on the car and snow was on the ground. I'm not saying it's never happened in the history of mankind but really dude?

Yes, really dude. :rolleyes:

Take responsibility for ensuring that your vehicle is fit for the conditions.

You wouldn't drive in rain with broken wipers.

You wouldn't drive at night without healights.

Why drive in the snow without all-weather or winter tires?

Yes, really dude. :rolleyes:

Take responsibility for ensuring that your vehicle is fit for the conditions.

You wouldn't drive in rain with broken wipers.

You wouldn't drive at night without healights.

Why drive in the snow without all-weather or winter tires?

Wifes been a outside claims investigator/adjuster for 20+ years. I can assure you that stupidity and being cheap are covered. You can start your house on fire while cleaning the carburetor to your Harley in your kitchen sink while smoking a cigarette and it's covered.

It's good to see that so many people are zealously buying winter/snow tires. I think there are many people that really need snow tires. I may even buy snow tires again this year. Will they prevent accidents? Sure. In a small number of accidents.

I wonder if people realize that their insurance doesn't cover them if they drive during winter without snow tires :eek:

Is Subaru liable for selling a car that doesn't have snow tires on it during the winter? This might be a good class action lawsuit after the passenger airbag one is finished up -if they have any money left.

The quote I made didn't say you wouldn't be covered - it said you could be found at a greater percentage of fault.

It's about time insurance held people accountable for being stupid.

]

If you want people to be accountable, why are you giving them the excuse of lack of tread depth. If you do that, then a wife, girlfriend, roommate, etc. can say, "It's not my job to replace the tires".

You are right in that people should be held accountable.....TOO FAST FOR CONDITIONS. No cop outs, no blaming tires, road surface, signage, brakes, etc. Just a ticket for driving too fast for conditions.

I live in CA now, but I grew up in Canada, and drove in 15 Canadian winters. I was quite disappointed the first time I took the LGT to Tahoe with RE92s.

The RE92s + LGT performed much worse than my over-powered Corrado (over 250 chp) did in a winter rally with Pilot Alpins that were pretty much at the wear bars. Heck, the Pilot Alpins ALSO outperformed the RE92s on the highway. I think I got almost 30K miles out of the set, and while they weren't quite up to Comp T/A ZR levels of handling in the summer, they were still better than the RE92s. And cheaper, IIRC. And lasted longer.

SOO glad I dumped the RE92s. Yes, BAC5.2, they're fine if driven within the limits - the only problem is, their limits are SO much lower than most other similar tires. They spun out on a somewhat-wet turn that my MPS AS+ would laugh at.

Trust the majority - ditch the RE92s.

You just compared the Michelin Pilot Sport AS+ to the RE92. That's not a similar tire in any respect.

So, you are correct. The limits are lower than tires that outclass it. You can't compare HPAS tires to UHPAS tires.

The RE92 is a perfectly fine tire. I still suggest upgrading tires first, and foremost, but not because the RE92 is a BAD tire.

Archived