LegacyGT.com

First snow, VERY disappointed

Whats up everyone, I live in CT, and today we got our first snow, (still snowing outside, 2 inches already) Ive lived here all my life, so I am not new to driving in the snow. My mom has an 09 legacy, 4eat, non gt, it is a beast in the snow. So when I took my 09 LGT 5speed out, I assumed generally the same performance. Boy was I wrong. My LGT SUCKED.

Neither one of the legacys have snow tires, both have all seasons, and No, I was not driving like an idiot all over the place, I was driving very slow since everyone else on the road freaks out when it snows and goes 5 mph.

Now I know us LGT drivers dont have Traction control like the non lgt,but what gives? I am on the stock bridgestone re92's, (good tread left) which I looked up and thought they were summer tires after seeing how poorly they performed, but apparently they are all seasons.

So whats the deal? Does everyone have to put snow tires on their LGT's? My accord was literally better in the snow than my LGT as of right now. I really hope im missing something, i didnt think you could slide around as much as I was. :confused: Thanks in advance.

ps: my legacy is completely stock

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BINGO, the magic word here is "re92's" Those tires SUCK in the snow. It's well documented

Get any other good all-season tire and you'll be fine.

I put snow's on my GT's but that's only because I go skiing every weekend in the season.

My 98 and 00 GT"s never had snows on them.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thank you, Im not gunna lie thats probably the best answer aside from, "theres a traction control button on the steering column, press that"

Are they really that bad tho? Am I going to have to get snows or just other all seasons? I mean it was terrible out there, i went to turn around in a parking lot and couldnt even get on it to have a little fun cause it was sliding so badly.

How much snow you got over there in tolland? Im near danbury and we have like 4 inches already.

Well, it depends on your driving conditions. Like Max Capacity up there, he runs snows on his LGT to go up the mountains for skiing. If your conditions are all-around city/highway driving, where the snow is (for the most part) plowed and cleared within a reasonable amount of time, a good set of all-seasons may be more than enough for you.

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

Just a coating here on the lawn. It's 32.7F

yes the re92's are that bad. Even my 1992 Civic came with those tires. The first winter they were fine, but after that I put Michelin MXV's on the car's and was fine. My 00 with the MXV's was great. I drove to Burke Mt Vt from Ludlow VT and back one Sunday night in a blizzard to bring a friends daughter back to Burke Mt Academy, she didn't want to trust her Audi.

There's another ice story too. One night in Feb 02 or 03 we slide to the car in Ludlow VT because the rain was freezing on everything. The car made it home to CT with now problems. Again with the MXV4's.

I run snows on the 05 because of the HP.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

^ What he said. Continental Extreme Contact DWS and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S are popular choices here for all-seasons.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/ultra-high-performance-all-season-tires-153785.html

i would still say that while both of these are good tires, they don't compare to a true winter tire and in temps below 15F, the rubber becomes too hard to give sufficient traction.

if you live in an area where temperatures don't dip that much and roads are plowed regularly, it's probably o-k.

i would still say that while both of these are good tires, they don't compare to a true winter tire and in temps below 15F, the rubber becomes too hard to give sufficient traction.

if you live in an area where temperatures don't dip that much and roads are plowed regularly, it's probably o-k.

Well, it depends on your driving conditions. Like Max Capacity up there, he runs snows on his LGT to go up the mountains for skiing. If your conditions are all-around city/highway driving, where the snow is (for the most part) plowed and cleared within a reasonable amount of time, a good set of all-seasons may be more than enough for you.

:)

Personally, I don't need them, I'd just love to try out a set of winter tires just for the sake of comparison. I just can't justify/afford them right now :(

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

You guys are nuts. The RE92 is a GREAT tire if you drive within its limits. At full tread, they are great in the snow too. A set of WRX takeoffs saw my 400whp First Gen through a winter without any problem.

They aren't great in the snow once tread gets below 1/2 depth, though.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

The RE92 suck balls man.

Don't even talk about driving in the snow. I was hydroplaning everywhere when it rains in Seattle. I nearly crashed a few times because of those stupid tires. I toss those tires after a few months of owning the car. :lol:

I used Continental DWS on my 06 LGT when I had it. It was a beast in the snow, especially when taking off. I have never had snows but I think I will get them once these tires wear out. I think the biggest benefit will be stopping.

The RE92 suck balls man.

Don't even talk about driving in the snow. I was hydroplaning everywhere when it rains in Seattle. I nearly crashed a few times because of those stupid tires. I toss those tires after a few months of owning the car. :lol:

You didn't almost crash because of the tire. You almost crashed because you were overdriving the tire.

They carried my 400whp car through the winter, and saw it through rain when it was RWD. They are a great tire, if you drive them appropriately and they are one of the most enjoyable tires I've driven. They break away cleanly, and are audible at the limit.

Drive within the limits of the tire. That's driving-101.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii287/bac52/5e54e148.jpg

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I am sick and tired of people saying the RE92's are decent enough and if you crash with them it's the driver's fault. I have had RE92's on a RWD, AWD, and FWD car. They are adequate for the first 15-20k miles, then they turn to complete shit.

It is extemely easy to "overdrive" these tries because yesterday they took that turn at 40mph. Today at 35mph they skidded (with no audible warning) and I went off the road.

They only reason the OEM uses RE92's is because they are a low rolling resistance tire and it gives the car a tenth of a MPG or so.

RE92's do NOT break away cleanly and they certainly do NOT give an audible warning when at their limit. This is even more apparent after the 15-20K false security zone.

RE92's Kill Bunnies

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

When it's close to freezing, above or below by a degree or two, slushy, wet snow that may freeze or melt depending on the moment, it doesn't matter what tire you have. Rubber sucks on icy, changing conditions.

Don't blame the tires, girls. Sometimes you should just pull over.

They are adequate for the first 15-20k miles, then they turn to complete shit.

It is extemely easy to "overdrive" these tries because yesterday they took that turn at 40mph. Today at 35mph they skidded (with no audible warning) and I went off the road.

RE92's do NOT break away cleanly and they certainly do NOT give an audible warning when at their limit. This is even more apparent after the 15-20K false security zone.

Hm, I agree with you and BAC at the same time. But then again, you're kind of agreeing with him too. I wouldn't say they have more than 15k of life in them, so you're about right, and what you describe is true past their usable life. However, in their <15-20k range, what BAC says about them is true. They are a VERY predictable tire (in my experience, had them stock on an 03 2.5RS, 08 LGT, and had a set of takeoffs on my 01 RS). They are indeed audible at the limit, and you get some vibration feedback from them too before they break away, and I also find they break away clean.

Once the tread is done, they are done though. They go downhill quick. However, not overnight quick as you say, but a month later in a progression (unless you're driving 200+ miles a day or something).

RE92s suck. End of story.

Anyone claiming "they are great if you drive them within their limits" might as well claim the same thing about driving summer tires on ice. The statement is true, but one would be stupid to keep driving on those and not expect bad things to happen.

Archived