LegacyGT.com

Official 5th Generation Suspension Thread

Is there a consensus on recommended setup for a softer more touring suspension? Not sure if mine is worn or what, but its a pretty harsh vibratey ride, especially in the back. Only had the car for a few months, '14 legacy 2.5i.

Now that is an interesting question. Most people on here look for a less soft ride.

You could make sure that you don't have a mechanical issue such as a badly worn bushing or bent suspension piece. If your struts are not blown, you could consider switching to the '10-'12 softer springs. I have some that I'd just give you if you're local.

I just read your other post on the same subject. I think you might have lowering springs already. There's no rear camber adjustment stock, so noticeable negative camber on the rear means something out of the ordinary for sure!

Quick question guys.

I'm lowering my leggy 1.5" on coils, if i have firestone (i know they are not the best for this) do my alignment they said they can only align it with oem specs, how bad will that be with a 1.5" drop??

The reason to use firestone is because of the lifetime wheel alignment

Wheels are 18x8.5 +38 on 245/40

Edited by archangel29

They should be able to get everything within factory alignment specs except for rear camber which is not adjustable.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thanks buddy,

I guess my real question is if they cannot do any custom alignments, will oem specs work with my set up??

Other than the camber, OEM specs should be fine. Like GTEASER said, the rear camber can't be adjusted. Should still be able to get the toe to factory specs.

When I was on coils, I had a little more negative camber than OEM up front too. I was at -1.1 and the specs called for -0.8. Not really a big deal. Waaaay better than the -3 on both sides that it was at before the alignment, lol :lol:

I'd just tell them to get it as close to OEM spec as they can and you should be fine.

Other than the camber, OEM specs should be fine. Like GTEASER said, the rear camber can't be adjusted. Should still be able to get the toe to factory specs.

When I was on coils, I had a little more negative camber than OEM up front too. I was at -1.1 and the specs called for -0.8. Not really a big deal. Waaaay better than the -3 on both sides that it was at before the alignment, lol :lol:

I'd just tell them to get it as close to OEM spec as they can and you should be fine.

Awesome, thanks for your help!

For fock sake guys! What the hell! Everyone wants Koni's and is bummed we can't get the 1453's anymore, GTEASER buys a set of 1447's for the sole purpose of research and verifying they will work for us after Koni says they will work for us, and now nobody wants to take them off my hands for less than I bought them for. You're fricking welcome guys! Where's the love? These will actually work BETTER than what we've been using because of the slightly stiffer damping. I guess nobody got tax refunds.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/ca-bnib-pair-koni-yellow-inserts-8610-1447s-261248.html

how do the 09-14 wrx 1454 full strut option compare to 5th gen, or even 4th gen oem, shape wise?

https://www.koni-na.com/en-US/NorthAmerica/Products/Cars/Street-Performance/Sport/

Read the last 6 months of this thread below. wrxwhit installed them back in December.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/koni-yellow-sport-shocks-2010-legacy-fitment-214426p37.html

Long story short, they work and are essentially the same as out stock shocks with the exception of the spring perch being 3/8" lower, so you need a 3/8" tophat spacer and depending on your wheel/tire combo, you may not have clearance to the perch, and the speed sensor mounting tab is different than ours.

might work in the 4th gen though. has anyone tried?

I don't know how the spring perch height of the 4th Gen relates to the 08-10 WRX spring perch, you'd have to compare the two. And I don't know the configuration of the speed sensor mounting tab. I'm sure it would bolt up fine, but who knows if you'd need a tophat spacer to get the correct ride height or if there would be tire clearance issues to the perch if it is lower. You'd have to do that research for your car.

honestly, I'm surprised no one has yet. :/

That's for the 4th Gen forum community to figure out. This is the 5th Gen forum. ;)

Secretly, I hope they aren't direct bolt in for you guys and that the spring perch height isn't the same as the 4th Gen and causes tire clearance issues. Koni won't have the occasion to continue to make the 8610-1447 if the 8710-1464's work for you guys and when the 1453's have come and gone again, the 1447's will be the best option for the 5th Gen. FWIW, the damping on the 1447 is still the best for us Legacy guys according to Koni, the 1464's will be a little softer as are the 1453's.

Edited by GTEASER

• 2 months later...

It's time for me to overhaul my 96K mile 3.6r's (I call her Abigail) suspension...I'm getting REALLY thrown off by all the different options/combinations out there...

I know that I'm going to go with what fellow Perscitus posted here

It would seem that the 2008-2014 WRX Strut/Koni setup with '14 springs is desirable, which I can dig...but then why can't you just run the Koni's that are made for a 08-14 WRX to begin with?

Otherwise, I think that (as mentioned in a previous thread of mine) stock '14 3.6 parts all around is the way to go for a totally stock feel....

Do you guys get the springs from one model/year car, and shocks from another? How about front and rear? Answer here from a trusted opinion.

Edited by RavenII

...but then why can't you just run the Koni's that are made for a 08-14 WRX to begin with?

...I see people using Bilsteins which I would love to do, but can't figure out which car they're using them from.

Just get 2013-2014 KYB ExcelG replacement shocks and new 2013-2014 OEM 3.6R springs and you'll be very happy and no longer confused.

I've already come to that conclusion mostly through reading, but that still leaves the other 2 questions in the air...Reading through the forums, it seems like there are actually quite a few options for the 3.6r with regards to suspension. For example, even you have a thread that shows you using Forester control arms on a Legacy....unnnless that was someone else, but nonetheless, it's been done. I'm just trying to sort it all out, that's all.

+ 1000 on that info from GTEASER....add a larger rear sway bar .....Current STi 20mm bar or an aftermarket one like Whiteline 22mm adjustable.

I am running my '13 Leggy 3.6R with stock springs and shocks with a custom 22mm rear bar and larger wheels and tires (Michelin A/S3 245/40/18 on OZ Racing rims 18x8 45 offset) Cars handles great in all conditions and did not have to spend a bunch of $$$$$$$$$$ :)

The 2013-14 Legacy shocks and springs are a huge upgrade from what yours came with ;)

+ 1000 on that info from GTEASER....add a larger rear sway bar .....Current STi 20mm bar or an aftermarket one like Whiteline 22mm adjustable.

I am running my '13 Leggy 3.6R with stock springs and shocks with a custom 22mm rear bar and larger wheels and tires (Michelin A/S3 245/40/18 on OZ Racing rims 18x8 45 offset) Cars handles great in all conditions and did not have to spend a bunch of $$$$$$$$$$ :)

Haha, we musta posted at the same time. Thanks for the input on the stock setup, it definitely helps. I'm for sure going to get the bigger swaybars... I'm also getting the raptor headers, and a tune, but that's another thread....hah. I've got a question, why 18 vs. 19? Is it because the tire would have to be much lower in profile overall or did you just prefer 18? Thanks again, everyone.

^Some people prefer the looks of the of the 18 over the 19, in addition to the slightly thicker sidewall providing a little bit cushier, more forgiving ride than 19s do. I myself liked the look of 19s enough to deal with a little bit more roughness.

Also slightly off topic, but you're relatively local to me (I'm in Schaumburg), and I also have a 3.6R. I have upgraded both front and rear sway bars, I have an XRT tune, and I'm on 19" wheels with a 40 sidewall, if you'd ever like to experience the difference in our two vehicles and get some ideas. I also have the majority of a suspension setup with Konis/Eibachs/KYB housings that I'm saving up for shop assembly of, which will make a drastic difference once installed as well. If you're ever around, come out to some of the Chitown Subaru meets, that's the easiest place to find me.

RavenII, actually those Whiteline adjustable control arms are technically made for the 08-14 WRX, not my Forester, but since every Subaru rear suspension since the 08 WRX (BRZ, 09+ Forester, 10+ Outback, 10+ Legacy, 08+WRX/STi, 08+ Impreza) is almost identical with only small differences (read ex: ride height in Outback vs. Legacy) that part fits perfectly fine in everything since it is the same part for all those models. If you're not lowering your car, you don't need it for any reason.

RavenII, actually those Whiteline adjustable control arms are technically made for the 08-14 WRX, not my Forester, but since every Subaru rear suspension since the 08 WRX (BRZ, 09+ Forester, 10+ Outback, 10+ Legacy, 08+WRX/STi, 08+ Impreza) is almost identical with only small differences (read ex: ride height in Outback vs. Legacy) that part fits perfectly fine in everything since it is the same part for all those models. If you're not lowering your car, you don't need it for any reason.

Ah, I gotcha, right, because you'd have to compensate camber for the drop in height.

^Some people prefer the looks of the of the 18 over the 19, in addition to the slightly thicker sidewall providing a little bit cushier, more forgiving ride than 19s do. I myself liked the look of 19s enough to deal with a little bit more roughness.

Also slightly off topic, but you're relatively local to me (I'm in Schaumburg), and I also have a 3.6R. I have upgraded both front and rear sway bars, I have an XRT tune, and I'm on 19" wheels with a 40 sidewall, if you'd ever like to experience the difference in our two vehicles and get some ideas. I also have the majority of a suspension setup with Konis/Eibachs/KYB housings that I'm saving up for shop assembly of, which will make a drastic difference once installed as well. If you're ever around, come out to some of the Chitown Subaru meets, that's the easiest place to find me.

Mannn, I was trying to remember who that was from around my neck of the woods, but have been forgetting to go through my first few posts from when I first signed up to find out. I really have to take you up on your offer one of these days. Maybe meet up at Woodfield or something. I get to see what a Lego with proper sway bars and a tune feels like, and I get to remind you of what it feels like to take turns in a tugboat. Hah! There's a dude in Wheeling selling a Tactrix (hope he still has it) so I'm definitely looking to get this thing tuned. It'll be nice to see what it feels like.

Haha, we musta posted at the same time. Thanks for the input on the stock setup, it definitely helps. I'm for sure going to get the bigger swaybars... I'm also getting the raptor headers, and a tune, but that's another thread....hah. I've got a question, why 18 vs. 19? Is it because the tire would have to be much lower in profile overall or did you just prefer 18? Thanks again, everyone.

I had the 18's from my 2006 LGT sedan and they look great on the 5th gen. Also 19's with really low profile tires do not suit the driving I do :cool:

The 18" set-up I am running give perfect speedo readings without needing any correction ;)