LegacyGT.com

Official 5th Generation Suspension Thread

If you're looking for a stockish feel, but with improved performance my combo is fairly inexpensive. I have Eibach Pro-Kits, KYBs with New KYB Strut mounts, and a Megan 22mm adjustable RSB. All together under $1000. You have to call Eibach directly for the springs cause they are discontinued but may still have stock left. They sell for like $100 shipped and provide an 1" drop. I also upgraded to 17x8" WRX wheels wrapped in 245/45/17 tires. So total spent about $1500-1600 but the bang for buck has paid for itself. I plan on Raptors and a Tune as well.

IMG_1047.thumb.JPG.0bc0d55142b6e994f0ec99cb504d71ad.JPG

Edited by GhiaAddict

Just get 2013-2014 KYB ExcelG replacement shocks and new 2013-2014 OEM 3.6R springs and you'll be very happy and no longer confused.

I found the following KYB part numbers, but it doesn't seem that they make front struts for the 13/14...the part numbers (for the front) below are only for 10-12...would you say that it's safe to buy them still? or should I just do dealer 13/14 for the front, and Excel-Gs for the rear...?

KYB Excel-G

Front right 339222

Front left 339223

Rear 340026

Those are the correct part numbers for the KYB fronts, same one's I purchased to use with my Konis. Unsure about the rears.

Got it, when doing the Koni swap, did you lose like a half inch or is that only if you use the WRX housings? I'm not doing the Koni swap, but was just curious. I'm just hoping that if I do get these, they're not the same marshmallowy spec that the 10-12 have, I hope they're as stiff (or slightly stiffer) than the 13/14 Dealer ones...being that they're made by the same people. Haha, thanks man.

Got it, when doing the Koni swap, did you lose like a half inch or is that only if you use the WRX housings?.

The 1/2" lower in the front is only if you use the WRX housings. The '10-12 KYB are fine to use for your front struts with the 13/14 springs.

Got it, when doing the Koni swap, did you lose like a half inch or is that only if you use the WRX housings? I'm not doing the Koni swap, but was just curious. I'm just hoping that if I do get these, they're not the same marshmallowy spec that the 10-12 have, I hope they're as stiff (or slightly stiffer) than the 13/14 Dealer ones...being that they're made by the same people. Haha, thanks man.

The Koni inserts in Legacy housings don't lose ride height in the Legacy because you are relying on the Legacy spring perch. The current 08-11 Koni full struts do since the perch is lower.

Sorry, my bad, the 10-12 KYB's. They don't specifically make them for 13-14 but they are the same. The 10-12 KYB replacements were advertised by KYB as being 15% stiffer than the OEM 10-12 struts, so logic would have it that since KYB was producing the OEM struts for Subaru, Subaru saw their error in the 10-12 damping rates and had KYB revise it for 13-14 by 15%, and voila, the replacements for 10-12. Yeah, you're good if you order those. And the rears were stiffened as well.

I also upgraded to 17x8" WRX wheels wrapped in 245/45/17 tires.

Your car looks good with the 245/45-17 mounted. On my 2.5i, I used the stock WRX 235/45-17 tire with 2013 17"x 8" WRX rims; I felt like I could have used a taller tire. (I was planning to wear out the tires, before changing the size) My 2.5i is Red (RRP) and also had Eibach/Koni so it looks pretty similar to your car...

If you're looking for a stockish feel, but with improved performance my combo is fairly inexpensive. I have Eibach Pro-Kits, KYBs with New KYB Strut mounts, and a Megan 22mm adjustable RSB. All together under $1000. You have to call Eibach directly for the springs cause they are discontinued but may still have stock left. They sell for like $100 shipped and provide an 1" drop. I also upgraded to 17x8" WRX wheels wrapped in 245/45/17 tires. So total spent about $1500-1600 but the bang for buck has paid for itself. I plan on Raptors and a Tune as well.

Similar to my summer setup. 17x8" WRX wheels wrapped in 245/45/17 tires and a Megan 22mm adjustable RSB but with Bilstein/RCE blacks for around 1" drop.

I'll likely switch to Eibachs soon as RCE blacks are little harsh.

Hi GhiaAddict, for our fellow members on here and this thread... are the Eibach's the 7722.140?

https://www.amazon.com/Eibach-7722-140-Pro-Kit-Performance-Spring/dp/B004Y3GSRI

https://www.rallysportdirect.com/part/lowering-springs/eib1-7722-140-eibach-pro-kit-lowering-springs

Like you said Eibach seems to have them on close-out for $92.75

UPDATE - they do have them in stock but not at the 92.75 price, just the 'normal' $275....

at least they will not offer them @ that price anymore.

http://performance-suspension-eibach.shptron.com/p/pro-kit-performance-springs-set-of-4-springs-302

Edited by Perscitus

I have not completed the Koni swap yet for clarification, just gathered the majority of the parts needed it for it. But what the other members shared is accurate: using the Legacy KYB strut housings for it will not change the ride height, while using the WRX ones will lose you 1/2".

You can also just use the KYB's with the struts that come in them, paired with the stock 13-14 springs, which is what the other members are recommending to keep a stock height and ride while improving it over the standard 10-12 ride quality.

The Koni inserts in Legacy housings don't lose ride height in the Legacy because you are relying on the Legacy spring perch. The current 08-11 Koni full struts do since the perch is lower.

Sorry, my bad, the 10-12 KYB's. They don't specifically make them for 13-14 but they are the same. The 10-12 KYB replacements were advertised by KYB as being 15% stiffer than the OEM 10-12 struts, so logic would have it that since KYB was producing the OEM struts for Subaru, Subaru saw their error in the 10-12 damping rates and had KYB revise it for 13-14 by 15%, and voila, the replacements for 10-12. Yeah, you're good if you order those. And the rears were stiffened as well.

Aha, I see, that's going to be a good option for the future (the Koni + KYB housings). I had emailed KYB after posting my question here and got this reply...

We have followed the oem design with a 5-10% firmer damping force...

In fact, the part numbers for the rear differ from 2010-12 (PN: 340026) and the 2013/14 (P/N: 340043).

It's a shame they don't make them for the 13/14 under the actual KYB Brand, they're substantially less expensive than the dealer cost, but c'est la vie.

I wonder how sachs would work out, had'em on my 5 series a while ago...

Like you said Eibach seems to have them on close-out for $92.75

UPDATE - they do have them in stock but not at the 92.75 price, just the 'normal' $275....

at least they will not offer them @ that price anymore.

http://performance-suspension-eibach.shptron.com/p/pro-kit-performance-springs-set-of-4-springs-302

You have to call directly for you to get the price. I know when I checked on their website it listed the regular price but when I called they gave me the discounted the price.

Wait, can't I drop the Koni inserts in my current front housings?...add stock springs and BAM!...

You can drop them in stock housing. Many of us use the donors because it makes a for a long installation day cutting the front struts/ installing the inserts, and then R & R the springs and struts. If you want to pain the donors it will also add time as well.

I would not use the stock 10-12 springs with the Koni's.

You can drop them in stock housing. Many of us use the donors because it makes a for a long installation day cutting the front struts/ installing the inserts, and then R & R the springs and struts. If you want to pain the donors it will also add time as well.

I would not use the stock 10-12 springs with the Koni's.

Gotcha, that makes sense, pop out, pop in...bada bing, bada boom...

I planned on using the 13/14 OEM springs from the dealer. This whole suspension endeavor started because I was bottoming out on my trailer hitch, now I'm thinking of a straight up performance suspension...

I still don't understand how people lower this car without bottoming out....but, I'm sure some more reading will help me find the answer.

I f'ing LOVE this forum.

Lowering the car means stiffer springs, which resist motion, therefore you don't bottom out. I am lowered 1.3" with my H&R/Koni setup and I can take speed humps at 30mph and don't bottom, whereas I would bottom taking the same speed bumps at 15mph with the stock '12 suspension. I also tow a trailer sometimes, and have never bottomed while towing 1000lbs and a bunch of gear in the trunk. Worst that happened was dragging my mud flaps all the way home from Lowe's because I had 500 pounds of sand and paving stone in my trunk. LOL.

Gotcha, that makes sense, pop out, pop in...bada bing, bada boom...

I planned on using the 13/14 OEM springs from the dealer. This whole suspension endeavor started because I was bottoming out on my trailer hitch, now I'm thinking of a straight up performance suspension...

I still don't understand how people lower this car without bottoming out....but, I'm sure some more reading will help me find the answer.

I f'ing LOVE this forum.

My car is lowered 1" and I have only lightly scraped the front bumper once on a steep incline. I also have a hitch and tow a 1300# boat/trailer as well.

Lowering the car means stiffer springs, which resist motion, therefore you don't bottom out. I am lowered 1.3" with my H&R/Koni setup and I can take speed humps at 30mph and don't bottom, whereas I would bottom taking the same speed bumps at 15mph with the stock '12 suspension. I also tow a trailer sometimes, and have never bottomed while towing 1000lbs and a bunch of gear in the trunk. Worst that happened was dragging my mud flaps all the way home from Lowe's because I had 500 pounds of sand and paving stone in my trunk. LOL.

My car is lowered 1" and I have only lightly scraped the front bumper once on a steep incline. I also have a hitch and tow a 1300# boat/trailer as well.

Haha, at least you guys get to tow something, I've never even plugged anything into the receiver...

I wonder if I still have a pair of springs from my Caprice...now THOSE were springs.

• 4 weeks later...

I drove my 2.5i 300 miles this weekend. This is the 1st time I have driven it on the highway since removing the Eibach/Koni and putting back the stock springs with KYB replacements. The highway wander (instability) of stock struts/springs is gone with the stiffer KYB struts, which sort of surprised me. The only suspension mod I have is the 19mm swaybar but I put that on at 2K miles and removed the stock springs/struts at 67k.

The suspension is still soft and sloppy and nowhere as engaging as my car is with the Koni/Eibach.

Will 15+ LCAs fit? I know 10-14 will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will 15+ LCAs fit? I know 10-14 will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, SPC part number 67660 fits all modern Subarus.

These are usually $115 each. This is a great seal.

Edited by GTEASER

Yes, SPC part number 67660 fits all modern Subarus.

These are usually $115 each. This is a great seal.

I am using my old Cusco LCAs from my 2.5i legacy and 3.6r on my 2015 WRX.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek