LegacyGT.com

Official 5th Generation Suspension Thread

Is it just me, or do all the pics of 5th gens I see with H&R springs seem a lot lower in the front than the rear?

Sent from my ZUK Z1 using Tapatalk

depends on which model you drive, most 2.5i are going to be slightly uneven

depends on which model you drive, most 2.5i are going to be slightly uneven

Seems like all of them with H&R look like that compared to other springs. Do the rears settle a lot more over time?

Is it just me, or do all the pics of 5th gens I see with H&R springs seem a lot lower in the front than the rear?

H&R has two different part numbers, the ones you think look raked are the -1 PN.

54427-1 for 2.5i and GT

54427-2 for 3.6R

Use the 3.6R part number, it will sit more even. That's what I used on my GT and what I recommend everyone get to avoid the rake.

Yes, tophat spacers would work if you need them to level things out. I believe that's the part number for the EDM spec DIT Legacy Wagon, but a quick search on Ebay says it fits both BM and BR.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/H-R-lowering-springs-for-29167-2-Subaru-Legacy-Kombi-fits-Subaru-Legacy-Kombi-3-/381533267727

Yes, tophat spacers would work if you need them to level things out. I believe that's the part number for the EDM spec DIT Legacy Wagon, but a quick search on Ebay says it fits both BM and BR.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/H-R-lowering-springs-for-29167-2-Subaru-Legacy-Kombi-fits-Subaru-Legacy-Kombi-3-/381533267727

Correct, that eBay link is even the same supplier I used - Tunershop in Germany

I tried to do my research before ordering, but I seemed to be the first guy in the world who wanted to put lowering springs in a BMD! My concerns of engine weight on the front springs seemed quite valid after reading the issues you guys have had with the heavier 3.6 engines and the pronounced rake.

Assuming the EE20 to be heavier than the EJ255 that most of you guys run, I just couldn't find actual figures to back that up.

I contacted an engine importer and they said no difference in shipping weight between those two, only the 6 cylinder engines are much heavier.

So hopefully when I get them in I don't get that awful rake.

The difference in weight is only about 100 pounds between the 2.5i and the 2.5GT with the 2.5i being the lighter one. The 2.5GT is almost exactly the same as the 3.6R.

thats surprising. you'd think the 3.6 would way like 50% more than the 2.5 minus maybe 5-10% for the turbo system..... i wonder how heavy just the power plants are.

For 2012, in limited trim, the 2.5i was 3423lbs, the 2.5GT was 3483, and the 3.6R was 3529. For transmissions, the 2.5i had a 99lb difference between the manual and automatic. So a 106lb difference between the 2.5i and the 3.6R. I wouldn't expect a huge difference in weight - it's another row of cylinders, but all of the other stuff bolted to the engine is going to be pretty close to the same weight.

the 2.5GT has the sunroof and a few other little things that bump its weight up a bit.

Well here's that rake. I put the H&Rs in just on the OEM shocks for now. The front is a nice drop, but those rears don't look right at all, I guess they will settle a bit, but not by the amount in really needs.

No surprise though when you look at the inactive coils, they're just acting like damn packers.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160729/af08f8c4c9dab9f1d131e4d5c9d77ead.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160729/76aa03c3bb124000d94c2fd3b19ea407.jpg

FWIW, my front barely settled 1/8", maybe not even that much, and it took about 2 months, maybe more, but the rears settled well over 1/4". The springs rates front and rear are almost the same, but the back of the car is lighter and the rear springs are a tighter winding, so the rear springs take a long time to settle. Be patient and drive it to help the settling along.

Take a measurement today from the center of the centercap on the wheel to the top of the fender arch, on all 4 corners, and write it down. Take another measurement in 2 weeks and write it down. Do it on a very level surface parked in the same place both times.

Edited by GTEASER

Thanks GTeaser, yes I will be patient and record how much it settles over the next few weeks.

I still don't really understand the function of the inactive coils that are constantly compressed and in contact with each other, even unladed (vehicle empty and half tank of fuel).

It would be amazing if they even took it a step further and built a product specifically for our platform. Maybe they were never even aware of the fitment for the Legacy and the number of people who have utilized that product. Really hope this errs towards a positive outcome.

Damn, I plan on keeping my legacy for as long as it can run, I would've gotten a spare set of inserts had I not just jumped on the GS TMIC

I think we have some time. It will probably be a year or two, probably longer, before they are all gone. Plus, they can be rebuilt. I believe Feal Suspension provides that service.

Here is the link to Koni's North American rebuild facility.

http://www.koniracing.com/services.cfm

Yeah, I will probably pick up a fresh set for myself as well. This only affects the front inserts. The rears (8010-1055) will still be produced, so basically it's a $300 investment to have a fresh set on the shelf in the garage if you ever need them. I plan on keeping my car pretty much forever as well, so we are in the same boat.

• 1 month later...

Using WRX struts is not all that bad. My Konis were built using WRX front struts.

Yes, the fronts were 1/2" lower than intended, but with RCE blacks, a touch of rake was fine.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

Using WRX struts is not all that bad. My Konis were built using WRX front struts.

Yes, the fronts were 1/2" lower than intended, but with RCE blacks, a touch of rake was fine.

That works fine with tires that are a slightly smaller diameter than stock, but if someone is running a tire slightly larger in diameter, they're going to have spring perch clearance issues.

It's time to play.......

What's wrong with this picture!!..

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160917/1782d6eb0f6cf5b013781693ee3b48fd.jpg

What's wrong is that I specifically had my order spec'd to 9kF and 8kR springs!

And as you can see, after waiting a month since ordering, my coilovers finally come in with 8kF and 6kR springs!!!!!!

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160917/d2fc84607f6551c05496f2097e7c69a8.jpg

[emoji17] WTF!?!???

I'm sick of waiting, and I really don't want to have to wait for these coilovers all over again.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk