LegacyGT.com

Official 5th Generation Suspension Thread

So with my new purchase of Tein basics and OEM tophats, does that mean I can take out whole OEM strut/spring assembly as one piece and just install the Teins/Oem tophats? Any advice on my upcoming install?

Yes, the whole assembly can come out and the new assembly installed, so you're saving time not disassembling and swapping parts.

The rear shock tends to stick in the control arm. Remove the outboard 3 bolts on the lower control arm, hub, shock and endlink. Leave the inboard one attached and swing it down. On reassembly use a jack under the control arm, use a drift to line up the holes, and put the bolts back in working from the inboard end out.

That's what I assumed, so basically similar install I've done on other cars. Thanks for the heads up. Any bushings, etc. I should look into purchasing before installing the coilovers?

you should install adjustable rear lower control arms while you are at it.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

I just picked up a used cusco RLCA - I just kinda figure if I'm adding the coilovers and new wheels/tires I wanna be dial in exactly what I want from a camber perspective

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do I really need the arms for 1-1.4" drop in the rear? Or will the Whiteline bolts be sufficient?

are you saying there is a whiteline bolt for rear camber adjustment?

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

Get rear LCA's. They can be had cheap off eBay and still good quality. Had mine for 3 years no issues even up in New England! My rear camber with a moderate drop was way out of whack over -3.0 or something.

If I go down which won't be anytime soon it will be koni's, h&r's, and spacers because I can't go more then ~.5" due to my parents road and driveway (have to check on them 3-5 times a week). I'm asking about the bushings for my case trying to stay near stock but still be somewhat adjustable if needed. But if I have to I'll get LCA's. Edited by foxrider28

Well I thought a 40 series would be lower not taller but according to http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php?width=225&aspect=45&diameter=18&wheelwidth=7.5&offset=55&width2=255&aspect2=40&diameter2=18&wheelwidth2=8.75&offset2=35#content it's actually 3mm plus diameter and 5mm more circumference than stock but I'm sure some fender modding will be needed for those 255's Edited by foxrider28

If I go down which won't be anytime soon it will be koni's, h&r's, and spacers because I can't go more then ~.5" due to my parents road and driveway (have to check on them 3-5 times a week). I'm asking about the bushings for my case trying to stay near stock but still be somewhat adjustable if needed. But if I have to I'll get LCA's.

If I remember correctly, the Whiteline bushings give you something like 0.75 degrees of camber adjustment, not a lot.

I wouldn't worry too much about correcting the camber if you're only going to lower it 1/2"

That's what I was thinking. Most everyone is 1" or more and we've got 1 maybe 2 lifted 5th gens (don't quote me on that). Not seen many setups like I'm considering but if the misses convinces me to get into a house soon (she's winning right now but a garage is her leverage) all this will be postponed till next year and some cheap stock replacements are going in till then.

shopping for rear lower control arms. i have looked at megan and hardrace....too me they look like they are the same exact parts. Just the stickers are different. Is one a knock off of the other? Does anyone have any insight on this?? Don't mean to offend any owners of either RLCA.

Megan

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/QUUAAOSwv-NWWmvq/s-l1600.jpg

HardRace

http://www.hard-race.com.au/image/cache/data/Subaru%20/6754-1200x800.jpg

I use the Megan toekit and LCAs, lasted plenty long and are a great value to adjust your alignment needs. Cant go wrong with them considering they're are TONS of options now they're worth it.

Thanks S2....I saw your post from 2014...I am also shopping for the Megan rear toe kit now...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4798783&postcount=835

In the 2nd picture what is the brace between the rear sway bar bushing to the LCA mount?

^^ That brace is the Whiteline brace that comes with the BSR49XZ RSB. You can order it separately if you don't have plans to do the 22mm bar.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Whiteline-Rear-Sway-Bar-Support-Braces-Scion-FR-S-FRS-Subaru-BRZ-FT86-GT86-KBR38-/262145850307?hash=item3d091c3bc3:g:yagAAOSwkZhWSPo9&vxp=mtr

Thanks GTEASER....That should work with my current STI RSB?

Is the brace necessary after lowering though?

Yes it should work and come with the hardware (longer bolts).

They are only necessary for thicker sway bars which put more force on the stock RSB mounts. They strenghten the stock mount. I would use them on anything over 20mm.

shopping for rear lower control arms. i have looked at megan and hardrace....too me they look like they are the same exact parts. Just the stickers are different. Is one a knock off of the other? Does anyone have any insight on this?? Don't mean to offend any owners of either RLCA.

Megan

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/QUUAAOSwv-NWWmvq/s-l1600.jpg

HardRace

http://www.hard-race.com.au/image/cache/data/Subaru%20/6754-1200x800.jpg

They are in fact the same... If you get pillow ball bearings in the Hardrace. Hardrace also offers them with hardened rubber, which is a better choice. Same goes for the toe arms and trailing arms.

My understanding, from the research I did, is that they are made by Hardrace, or whomever makes them for Hardrace, and Megan resells. There are several other cheap brands painted red that are also identical except the bearing.

Hi I just received my KONI inserts part 8610 1453Sport. My question is in regards to the rebound action for these new inserts. I was curious about it and compared it to the stock strut. I tested both that I received by compressing the damping rod and they did not move. There wasn't any rebound action. I had to pull them back out from the housing. Aren't they supposed to have some rebound right out of the box? Or do they need to be primed. Is this a defective pair?

Koni rebound video