LegacyGT.com

Official 5th Generation Suspension Thread

I wish I could bookmark individual posts for reference later. These are all things I'll have to do down the road because New England.

The post number is actually a permalink to that post- click, bookmark, win.

The more you know!

This one is half the cost of the whiteline one:

[ame=http://smile.amazon.com/Scion-Frs-Subaru-BRZ-08-12/dp/B00D5VXRWO/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1452486288&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=spc+lower+control+arm+brz]Amazon.com: Scion Frs, Subaru BRZ and 08-12 Subaru WRX: Automotive[/ame]

don't forget that the BRZ has the same rear lca's as out cars

Yeah - forgot to grab the 1 post where someone linked to all the individual LCA options- why is white lines half as much as the other options?

http://www.jscspeed.com/catalog/Subaru/08_10_STI/Suspension/Whiteline_Rear_Lower_Control_Arms_for_2008_2010_Subaru_STI.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what I will be using on the FXT. It is almost identical to the SPC unit and is essentially the OEM steel LCA with an eccentric adjuster on the outboard end. All the others are more expensive because totally reengineered and/or made from aluminum with expensive heim joints.

• 3 weeks later...
Those do look nice. I just wish all the good ones were not so damn expensive.

Yeah...but you only have to buy it once.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

new guy, forester owner, looking for some help so wanted to come right to the source the last couple days for some poking around (insert the norm.. sorry if this is the wrong spot, hopefully you can point me in the right direction if so,etc).

my overall question... how similar (or different) are the 2010+ outback oem susp and the 2010+ LGT oem susp (or 3.6R)? as in could someone (not based on performance needs, but purely just physically do it) bolt in oem outback takeoffs onto an LGT. if theres something that needs to change, what is it?

part #2 being in relation to 08-14 wrx stuff...as both will help me. has anyone taken coilovers, strut/springs combos, even oem takeoffs from a 08-14 wrx, and installed them on their 5th gen LGT? bolt right in? no?....what did they have to alter. ive seen someone do the wrx units into an outback...but not sure if that outcome would be possible with the LGT.

long story short, im looking to install these http://www.racecompengineering.com/index.php/subaru/2010-legacy-2-5gt-3-6r/gtworx-bilstein-legacy-gt-3-6r-fixed-perch-oem-fitment-sport-dampers.html (with the "blacks") on my SH bodystyle forester (for all intensive fitment purposes pretend i said 08-14 wrx).

and facts or even leads are helpful. thanks in advance. very cool forum you guys got here...i have enjoyed my lazy work week very much so far!!

Edited by FXTerrific

new guy, forester owner, looking for some help so wanted to come right to the source the last couple days for some poking around (insert the norm.. sorry if this is the wrong spot, hopefully you can point me in the right direction if so,etc).

my overall question... how similar (or different) are the 2010+ outback oem susp and the 2010+ LGT oem susp (or 3.6R)? as in could someone (not based on performance needs, but purely just physically do it) bolt in oem outback takeoffs onto an LGT. if theres something that needs to change, what is it?

part #2 being in relation to 08-14 wrx stuff...as both will help me. has anyone taken coilovers, strut/springs combos, even oem takeoffs from a 08-14 wrx, and installed them on their 5th gen LGT? bolt right in? no?....what did they have to alter. ive seen someone do the wrx units into an outback...but not sure if that outcome would be possible with the LGT.

long story short, im looking to install these http://www.racecompengineering.com/index.php/subaru/2010-legacy-2-5gt-3-6r/gtworx-bilstein-legacy-gt-3-6r-fixed-perch-oem-fitment-sport-dampers.html (with the "blacks") on my SH bodystyle forester (for all intensive fitment purposes pretend i said 08-14 wrx).

and facts or even leads are helpful. thanks in advance. very cool forum you guys got here...i have enjoyed my lazy work week very much so far!!

Welcome buddy! [emoji3]

here's someone who installed an outback suspension on his GT: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/project-legacy-gt-outback-begins-244041.html?t=244041&highlight=lift

What model year FXT do you have?

thanks for the link!

this bit seems as if its a good sign:

"7) front struts are direct drop ins. No problems at all. Just had to push down the hub to fit the longer struts into the steering knuckle."

... if i know wrx stuff goes into outback (not sure of any changed parts, like top hats or anything...waiting to hear back from the fella) ...and outback stuff goes into LGT, then its safe to guess LGT stuff could do into wrx.

I have a 2011 XT touring. current setup is 2014 sti oem struts and sti spec RCE yellows.

22092225683_4b96697619_k.jpg

Edited by FXTerrific

The WRX struts sit a 1/2" lower in the front when installed in a 5th Gen Legacy. So Legacy struts in WRX (forester) would likely install 1/2" taller in the front.

2010-2014 (5th Gen) Legacy/Ouback stuff will bolt directly into 5x100 2008-2014 WRX/Forester, and vice versa, with the only thing required to changed being front tophats. Edited by GTEASER

i do "know" this also, from someone with an 09-13 fozzie.

"Front Suspension:

Legacy (Liberty in Aus) Spec B Bilsteins take offs from 2005-2009 4th Gen model. I used the complete unit with the springs, top hats etc. Bolt straight on like it was made for it."

are the 4th gen and 5th gen front bilsteins interchangeable? do you need different top hats in 4th gen vs 5th gen? i understand there could be differences in strut body length, etc...but im only referring to physically bolting in....and

thanks dgoodhue , thats kinda the mental # i had saved...as it seemed to pop up from time to time.

thanks GTEASER. rear hats are the same?

seems like the combo is (since id imagine what'll be arriving at my door is just struts and springs):

the bilsteins

the black springs

then i need in addition:

oem upper LGT spring seats for all four corners

oem fxt,wrx,sti tophats

those spacers/washers for fronts between seat and hat

am i overlooking something??

4th and 5th Gen Legacy physically have 2 differences that would prevent direct bolt in, front tophats and the lower rear shock mount eye, it's skinnier on the 4th Gen but you can put thick washers or spacers in to fit tight in the LCA.

i noticed that when looking at websites selling coilovers for each model. assumed it was just a random pic, for a different fitment. but thanks. luckily i dont think ill have that issue, since i dont plan to use 4th gen stuff.

and on the other bit...thanks.

and thanks everyone. very nice to see so much help (and so quickly).

where does one go when they need oem LGT tophats and spring seats??

seems like the combo is (since id imagine what'll be arriving at my door is just struts and springs):

the bilsteins

the black springs

then i need in addition:

oem upper LGT spring seats for all four corners

oem fxt,wrx,sti tophats

those spacers/washers for fronts between seat and hat

am i overlooking something??

That's should be everything you need. And then maybe some 1/2" or 1" spacers for the rear to even out the ride height.

That's should be everything you need. And then maybe some 1/2" or 1" spacers for the rear to even out the ride height.

do the lgt rear struts not have that same (roughly) 1/2" longer design that the fronts were mentioned to have (like vs WRX units)? or do you mean more in regards to heavy butted fozzies? haha.

im hoping the "lift" i get due to different strut lengths will be same in front and rear.