LegacyGT.com

Official 5th Generation Suspension Thread

Hi I just received my KONI inserts part 8610 1453Sport. My question is in regards to the rebound action for these new inserts. I was curious about it and compared it to the stock strut. I tested both that I received by compressing the damping rod and they did not move. There wasn't any rebound action. I had to pull them back out from the housing. Aren't they supposed to have some rebound right out of the box? Or do they need to be primed. Is this a defective pair?

Koni rebound video

I was kinda confused about this as well when I first got mine. The Konis are supposed to resist rebounding so that your car doesn't bounce after it hits an uneven surface. Don't be worried about pulling on them too hard as anything you can do with your hands will most likely be less stress than what your car could do. There's nothing wrong with the set you have as you described them. Now hurry up and install em!:lol:

I emailed KONI and this is their response.

The 8610 inserts are hydraulic dampers, meaning they do not carry a gas pressure. So the rod will not self-extend after compressing the shock by hand. In low pressure gas or monotube shocks the shock rod with self-extend due only to the internal gas charge, that is not a working function of the shock absorber itself.

Good to know for anyone new to the insert game. This would be the same for the 8010s (rear) since they are the same design.

Edited by amidroc

^ Yes, Thanks for the info directly from Koni. I believe the same goes for the 8010 rears.

I was a little confused because they did not extend the first time I dealt with them, but by the time I assembled a set, I was aware of this. Because of this, it makes it a little tricky to get the tophats on with the springs compressed, you have to make sure they are all the way fully extended and then be careful not to accidentally push them in when you put the tophats on and are trying to get the tophat nut threaded on.

Also found this rebound adjustment from the KONI site for the 8010 (rear) & 8610 (front)

Adjustment Procedure 8010, 8041, 8210, 8241, 8610, 8641, 8710, 8741 Series

Rebound Adjustment Procedures

Externally Adjustable. These dampers can be adjusted, literally at the turn of a knob(or sweep window as in figure 1), a technique borrowed from Formula-1 racing where KONI dampers have dominated the field for years. One can switch back and forth, in most cases in a matter of seconds, from a comfortable "touring" setting to a more firmer setting for a sporty drive. By means of a knob damping forces can be altered to driving conditions or personal preferences.

Rebound Adjusting knob

http://www.koni-na.com/getmedia/e21d306c-acfe-484b-83d3-135f0e12c9fc/Big-KONI-Knob.aspx?width=150&height=111

http://www.koni-na.com/getmedia/0b40eecf-7c04-42c3-8895-c6d2e6def830/80fig1.aspx?width=150&height=164

Figure 1: Move pin left or right to

increase rebound forces (counter-clockwise) Rebound - Insert a pin into the slotted adjuster located at the top eye (figure 1). Moving the pin from left to right (counterclockwise) will cause the forces to increase. From the minimum or factory positions, there are 12 possible sweeps of adjustment ( 1 sweep equals 1/4 turn).

REBOUND ADJUSTMENT DIRECTION

Clockwise = Softer

Counter Clockwise = Firmer

https://youtu.be/2HyBFWNB35o

FWIW, the 8610 and 8010 on our cars use the knob. Factory setting is softest (all the way clockwise) and then you have up to 2 full turns of the knob counter clockwise to firm it up to full firm. I usually go with 1/2 turn increments, but some people use quarter turn.

Should there be a KONI sticky for info like this? I am sure there are members now and in the future that will benefit from it.

JS...There are several good posts full of info to sift through on this thread regarding the KONI inserts.

I will just leave this here.

Swift Lowering Springs WILL NOT work with Koni Yellow inserts

To give everyone the "technical" reason why Swift lowering springs don't work with the Koni's....here goes.... Swift springs are not a conventional progressive rate lowering spring, they are a linear rate spring and as so rely on their entire unsprung length to establish a given ride height for the car for which they are designed. So in a stock strut assembly, which is what they are designed for, with no weight on the spring, the spring has no (or at least an anticipated) preload. When a Koni insert is used in the Legacy donor strut housing, the Koni at full extension is 1/2" shorter than the stock strut (but also 1.25" shorter at full compression therefore more bump travel as stated above). When Swifts are put on a donor strut with a Koni insert, they are preloaded, or shortened by 1/2". This preload translates directly to ride height, so the unanticipated result of that is what Gary (blklgt05) found out, the car was 1/2" lower in the front after the Koni's were installed with the Swifts than it was prior on the stock struts.

Hi all! Does anyone have any first hand experience using the KW-V3 suspension kit on their 3.6R? I'm considering getting this setup. I know it's a bit on the pricy side and was wondering because a local shop recommended them to me. My car is completely stock right now and absolutely hate the ride feel and handling. It's ok on completely smooth pavement lol. I want something that will deliver good ride comfort under normal driving and want to have some fun with as well. Edited by 3.6R-2011

I think DeltaSniper is on the KW's, and he's up in Canada. Blizzard is also on them. There are a few other guys, but I can't remember any names off hand. It's a great setup for the 5th Gen, but pricey. For half the price, I would consider Koni's and either stock or lowering springs, if you don't need height adjustability of course.

Yep...the guys on here who have them love them.

I rode in an STI with KW V2 and that was a very planted ride as well.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, found out this week that my front struts are leaking, so here i am looking for a coilover set ! im not looking to track the car or nothing crazy, i just want a cheap setup.

I was wondering if it was cheaper to buy new front struts and lower spring or do a complete coilover set.

If you're gonna get lowering springs, you're likely going to have to replace your rear struts.

If you go with OEM struts with lowering springs, you'll have to replace the struts sooner than you would like.

My konis + RCE Blacks were ~$1k. You can probably get some coilovers for less than that but they might not perform as well.

only question is : do they fit on the 3.6 ?

They ride good for me and gave me the stance I wanted for a DD. They should will fit a 3.6R, I don't see why not but I have no experience with the suspension on them. RSD says no when I put it in the car selector.

EDIT: GTEASER beat me to it.