LegacyGT.com

Official 5th Generation Suspension Thread

Add rear shocks and front struts to the list as it is better to do now than later. You must have some miles on the old struts and shocks, right? Bilstein for upgrade, kyb for oem replacement?

Yes, thought about shocks but planning to keep the current ones a bit longer, around 90K km on them. The GT comes with Bilstein shocks in Aus, but they are one of the low end models I am told.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I am finding myself having to get alignments done 2 to 3 times per year and almost every time my right rear toe is way out...like 3 degrees. So I am thinking of replacing either the toe arms or trailing arms with Megan's or white lines, gtspecs, etc.

This is solely for the purpose of strengthening things and reducing/eliminating adjustment slip and therefore preventing unintended alignment changes.

I have *noticed* very few examples of guys on this forum replacing the trailing arm. Is that because there is no point? Should I assume the toe arm is responsible for my alignment woes?

I am contemplating doing the LCA, toe, and trailing links to just be done with it.

Thoughts?

I would replace the trailing arm bushings with Whiteline bushings (rears only, the fronts are pillowball style from the factory on 2012+), get an alignment and see if it changes after a few months. If it does, then replace the toe arms with either OEM or aftermarket and get another alignment. If it changes again then either aftermarket LCAs, or Whiteline bushings on the LCA if you have no need for camber correction, and by then you should no longer have the issue. Step by step to determine the point of issue. Edited by GTEASER

Good advice, thanks. A decent alignment costs 180 to 200 around here and shipping is brutal, so I was thinking maybe I will do trailing arm bushings and toe arms all at once (would cost about the same I think)

White lines vs Megan's? I am thinking white lines (125s).

So you think its more likely to be trailing arm bushings vs toe arm eccentric bolts? I've read that they are prone to slip. Or just a cheaper diagnostic step?

Screw it. I ordered up a Whiteline aluminium rear LCA, Whiteline adjustable toe arms, and Whiteline adjustable end links.

I may or may not need all that but its cool, and that Whiteline LCA is sweet looking. I was going to go with Megan but I got the Whiteline for about the same price once shipping/duty was included...plus its aluminium so should stand up to salt better.

Edited by brandon.mol

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently, the Whiteline lower control arms are "still in development and have no set production date" says someone at Whiteline. So I dropped that from my order and may just order the Hardrace ones with rubber bushings. Apparently the Hardrace and Megan parts are identical. One difference though is you can order them from hardrace with hardened rubber bushings instead of pillowbal bearings if you want.

The Megan toe arm is really hefty. Much better than I expected. However they don't come with eccentric lock out washers and bolts like the Whiteline ones, so I regret not just buying the more expensive Whiteline ones now. I bought a separate lockout kit to make sure these toe arms don't slip the eccentric bolts.

Yeah. I've considered those, but I am more concerned about pillow ball corrosion and failure than surface rust. The white lines are the best of both worlds.

Reality: I don't need to adjust camber at all and it can wait. My primary goal was to lock in my toe which has a habit of slipping.

• 1 month later...

This had to have been answered at some point but I couldn’t find anything on a quick search due to all the variation in search terms but anywho….

Has anyone installed or is currently running coilovers ( I have Megan) with 6F& 5R spring rates? I’m currently running 7F & 6R but would like to go softer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gracias!

I’m looking to reduce some of the bounciness of the car, I have the struts at the soften setting but still a little more harsh than I want nowadays.

I’m looking into putting these on as well. Not sure what happened but this mod bug is biting again.

http://www.meganracing.com/product_detail.asp?prodid=1375&catid=97

If you are bouncy, increase the strut dampening. Dont reduce it.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

You mean less...right?

+1 on increase dampening. If that doesn't do what you want then softer springs.

Especially in the rear. If the rear springs are to stiff relative to the damping, the car will feel like it kicks the rear up violently when hitting bumps/whoops in the road.

I’ll try that on my way home. If it doesn’t work, I’m going to go ahead and order the 5k springs for the back and put the 6k in the front.

Thanks guys

Harshness is not cause by the spring rate. It is cause by how good your damper design to handle bumps. Mine is actually 9kg front and 8kg rear. I've got to experienced 3 coilovers:

1. TEIN Type Flex - 7K F and 6K R

2. Bilstein B14 BSS Kit - 6K F and 5K R

3. Ohlins DFV - 9K F and 8K R

The Tein was ok during summer but harsh during winter. It is slightly firmer than OEM at softest settings (summer). At softest settings however it seems to affect handling. My major complaints are it is noisy and not comfortable during winter.

The Bilstein is also fine during summer but can become unbearable during winter. Since it is not damping adjustable, it is slightly firmer than the Tein. Note that the spring rate is less than the TEIN. NVH seems to be the same feeling but maybe little firmer for Bilstein. The good thing is it is extremely quiet and great in highway driving.

The Ohlins was great even during winter, I still had no experience for full summer season yet since I've just got it last November (before the weather became cold). Up to now, I still haven't set it to the softest settings yet (still have 2 more clicks from softest) but as far comfort is concern and as far as I can remember, it is much more comfortable than my OEM. It was not bouncy and not soft when I make a sharp turn. When I purchased the kit, I was initially thinking why the standard spring rate was so high for this kit, I kept asking myself maybe it will be too stiff for comfort but I was prove wrong. The difference between this and my TEIN in terms of adjustability was night and day. You could feel some difference when you adjust 2-3 clicks whereas for TEIN you don't. Softest to Stiffest was a big difference. So it is not about the spring rate but damper design. My Ohlins seems can handle NVH quite well too.

So I doubt it, even when you change the spring rate, you won't feel any difference, not unless you change to a better damper.

From where are you finding a fitment for the 5th gen Legacy for the bilstein and ohlins. I see inly 4th gen.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek