LegacyGT.com

Official 5th Generation Suspension Thread

I'm thinking the tarmacs. They really look nice too. Like you said the price premium. The tarmacs are KW v1 or 2?

I believe they are based on the v1, but RCE said they are valved a little differently for the Legacy.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

Just a quick update regarding the '14 springs with Bilsteins:

These springs are a MUCH better match for these struts. The Bilsteins are heavy on compression dampening but didn't have enough rebound dampening for the Blacks, IMHO. These springs allow the struts to soak up bumps better, and don't toss the ass of the car up in the air over humps in the road. It corners just as well, with only slightly more dive in the front, barely noticeable. The psycho front-back teeter toter thing it did with blacks over wavy road surfaces is gone. Its still much firmer than stock, but more controlled and less harsh.

I am happy with how its riding now, and based on this experience I would recommend either these springs or Eibachs to be matched with the Bilsteins and save the Blacks for Konis which, by the sounds of it have less compression and more rebound dampening, as it should be, especially since the adjusters are for rebound.

Guys, I am looking for the lowering springs for my car.

I look across the website they do not have specific lowering springs made for 2014 subaru legacy. Is that okay if I choose lowering springs for 5th gen (2010-2012 LGT) ? Will it fit directly ?

The one that I am looking for is Tein S.Tech, they do not make the springs for 2014 Legacy.

crazy ken lives!!!!

those s-techs will annihilate your struts btw.

Yes...

...and then fredrik and gteaser can start pushing konis

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

what do you mean by annihilate the struts ? Will it make my struts go bad ?

rotfl....

Yes, a lot quicker than the stock springs. Your '14 struts will last longer than the '10-'12 struts. But honestly, after riding on my H&R's with the stock struts for about 2 months, I don't know why anyone would ever want to do it, it was aweful. I couldn't wait for the Koni's and for good reason.

Since I have the Eibachs on stock struts and just passing 50k, i was looking to upgrade and go Bilsteins and Blacks, but Brandon's input leads me to believe that just adding the Bilsteins may be the way to go?

Finally, found the correct thread.

I am on Tein S Tech lowering springs with OEM struts (Bought brand new struts for the springs) and I am pretty positive my struts are donzo, I put them on at 54k, im now at 74k.. I have looked into the Tein Street Basis Coilovers and I am pretty set on those, only thing is, I've that they weren't adjustable.. should I believe that?

Also, if you think I'm making the wrong decision with these please state your case and save me the hassle!

Thank you.

1.jpg.83d2e673d86d5b616e28336db78d6337.jpg

^^^ If you want to go with tein coilovers, get the "flex".

Or, you can keep your tein springs and add #### inserts and rear shocks.

Did you even read the posts in this thread that were posted as recently as the past 2 days? Someone with the same springs as you asking the same question....and....getting feedback. And there are specific threads on that specific shock choice as well. Imagine that!!

Koni Yellow Adjustable Shocks. FTW!!!

Don't get us wrong, we are glad to help and discuss the options with you, but in all fairness, this is not my job, it's a volunteer position. I don't at all mind helping someone who demonstrates that they are also helping themselves. Do some reading, use the search function and anything you don't understand, ask the question and we would be glad to provide you with knowledge. :lol:

Edited by GTEASER

The first post of this thread needs to get updated with all the new information this community has gathered. More info on the Konis, differences between Konis and Bilsteins, ideal spring/strut pairings for various purposes (lowering, ride, cornering, etc), part numbers for toe arms, trailing arms, lower control arms, end links, etc from all the known brands. There are at least 10 brands of rear adjustable toe arms that fit our cars, for example.

Whiteline

Megan

Cusco

Gtspec

Superpro

SPL

Spc

Hardrace

...more

But many of these thing are listed based on other vehicles (08-14 wrx and brz, for example) and its not always clear what will work and what won't.

Also things like end link / strut compatibility and end link sway bar compatibility (length/angles)...

Would be great to boil it all down. I'd be glad to contribute, as I am sure others here would be.

Since I have the Eibachs on stock struts and just passing 50k, i was looking to upgrade and go Bilsteins and Blacks, but Brandon's input leads me to believe that just adding the Bilsteins may be the way to go?

By the way... If I were to lower again, I would either buy Eibachs for the steins or buy Konis for the blacks. I would never in a million years pair the Bilsteins and blacks again. I don't believe for a second that those were designed to be together. The Bilsteins were clearly valved to be an upgrade strut for OEM springs. Super tough...will last forever, but just aren't valved for 240lb springs.

I wouldn't hesitate to say that they would work well with '10/'11/'12 springs even. They just don't have enough rebound dampening for the blacks, and they have too much secondary compression damping for a forgiving ride if you have that much spring rate.

However. Since you don't have Bilsteins already, my vote is buy Konis and you will surely be happy. Not sure if anyone has that combo, but it sounds like it would be great.

The first post of this thread needs to get updated with all the new information this community has gathered. More info on the Konis, differences between Konis and Bilsteins, ideal spring/strut pairings for various purposes (lowering, ride, cornering, etc), part numbers for toe arms, trailing arms, lower control arms, end links, etc from all the known brands. There are at least 10 brands of rear adjustable toe arms that fit our cars, for example.

Whiteline

Megan

Cusco

Gtspec

Superpro

SPL

Spc

Hardrace

...more

But many of these thing are listed based on other vehicles (08-14 wrx and brz, for example) and its not always clear what will work and what won't.

Also things like end link / strut compatibility and end link sway bar compatibility (length/angles)...

Would be great to boil it all down. I'd be glad to contribute, as I am sure others here would be.

can't AST get some coilover love?