LegacyGT.com

Official 5th Generation Suspension Thread

Thanks for clearing that up.

Like I mentioned earlier, I went with the Megan coilovers and I'm complaining now that it's winter. Todays high was 17f, so it's pretty cold out. I went ahead and adjusted everything to 10 clicks from the softest setting and see if that helps.

I respectfully disagree.

Fact: stiffer springs equals more energy transmitted into your spine. The opposite is never true. Its common sense.

That's what I thought too. But how do you explain the Ohlins with much stiffer spring having a much better ride quality than the TEIN or the Bilstein having much softer spring? The difference in ride quality is not just minor, we are talking about huge night and day difference here.

So it's not the spring that matters, it's the damper that controls how the spring plays. Maybe you should read the Ohlins DFV technology.

http://www.ohlinsusa.com/road-track-tech

The truth is the Ohlins dampers can be partner with probably any spring brand in the market and would still get great ride quality. Even with much higher spring rate than what I have now. But that does not hold true for the other two coilovers.

Captain’s blog, 17th day of the second month. I went from the softest setting to 10 clicks from said setting. The suspension was indeed much stiffer, it seems as if the tires are absorbing more of the impact from the road. Knowing that my coilovers are cheap, I decided to STFU and put up with it until it gets warmer.

My plan is to order the 5kg/mm spring, put it in the rear coilovers and put the 6kg/mm springs from the rear to the front thus reducing my spring rate by 1kg/mm all the way around.

I know it may sound silly to some but it seems that getting a softer spring will reduce some of the harshness of the ride, don’t know why, it just feels that’s the way to go.

Captain’s blog, 17th day of the second month. I went from the softest setting to 10 clicks from said setting. The suspension was indeed much stiffer, it seems as if the tires are absorbing more of the impact from the road. Knowing that my coilovers are cheap, I decided to STFU and put up with it until it gets warmer.

My plan is to order the 5kg/mm spring, put it in the rear coilovers and put the 6kg/mm springs from the rear to the front thus reducing my spring rate by 1kg/mm all the way around.

I know it may sound silly to some but it seems that getting a softer spring will reduce some of the harshness of the ride, don’t know why, it just feels that’s the way to go.

If you ever decide to get new coilovers, the RCE Tarmac Zeros are great. The 350# springs have great road manners. 400# springs would be ideal.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

400...ha...I would be a heading straight to physiotherapy if my springs were that stiff. Guess you guys must have flat roads.

My coffee is flying all over the place as it is with 240lb RCE springs. I may as well just ask the drive through person to throw it in my face from the window and save me the hassle! :D

If you ran your rce springs with konis, you could set that coffee on the dash while perfkrming a U turn.

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

Perhaps. I think the bilsteins have insufficient rebound dampening for these springs, so that makes sense, particularly in the back.

We'll see how the '14 springs and Bilsteins work.

If after all this it still rides like a chuck wagon...we'll see. Maybe then I'll put my tail between my legs and buy a set of Konis. Or I'll get pissed and buy a WRX. ;)

Perhaps. I think the bilsteins have insufficient rebound dampening for these springs, so that makes sense, particularly in the back.

We'll see how the '14 springs and Bilsteins work.

If after all this it still rides like a chuck wagon...we'll see. Maybe then I'll put my tail between my legs and buy a set of Konis. Or I'll get pissed and buy a WRX. ;)

I would tell you in all honesty...your money would be better spent on a set of konis.

Once you set those at the proper dampening, you will see that the ride is better (performance wise) and more forgiving (bounce/stiffness) than OEM '13 springs and shocks.

But, if you want to get into a new WRX sooner than later, just try the '14 springs.

I'll make you a deal. If you get Konis and you set them up to my specs and you think it is not better than OEM, I will buy a new/used set of '13 or '14 springs and have them shipped to your home.

Edited by fredrik94087

I went from the softest setting to 10 clicks from said setting. The suspension was indeed much stiffer, it seems as if the tires are absorbing more of the impact from the road. Knowing that my coilovers are cheap, I decided to STFU and put up with it until it gets warmer.

You might want to make smaller changes. I have qa1 coilovers on my truck. They have 15 levels. On 1 it is super floaty. I usually set it to 4 but if I am going for a long ride I set it to 3. One of my friends had the same coilover suspension that I had; he was complaining about about how stiff it rode. He described it have no suspsension and was going rip them out. I found out that he blindly just set it to the middle setting. After adjusting it softer he was much happier.

I would tell you in all honesty...your money would be better spent on a set of konis.

Once you set those at the proper dampening, you will see that the ride is better (performance wise) and more forgiving (bounce/stiffness) than OEM '13 springs and shocks.

But, if you want to get into a new WRX sooner than later, just try the '14 springs.

I'll make you a deal. If you get Konis and you set them up to my specs and you think it is not better than OEM, I will buy a new/used set of '13 or '14 springs and have them shipped to your home.

Heh.

I've already paid for the springs. Cost about $250Cad. Konis plus donors would run me 1500 or so with shipping, exchange rate, and junk yard donor struts. Plus installation. New donors would be a few hundred more. All of this shit is getting expensive.

The expert option 'round here now seems to be that Konis are much much better than Bilsteins. I wish there were such strong opinions about then when I started this whole ordeal. Back then, my analysis of the consensus was that they were equally good, the konis were adjustable and the bilsteins were plug n play, and the Bilsteins were a couple hundred cheaper for me in Canada, all things considered. I went with Bilsteins instead of Konis mainly because the logistics of building them myself didnt work along with the realities of my installation options and shipping costs from GTeaser to me were insane for built ones. In hindsight, I regret it, I will admit.

Just to put things in perspective, my intention was never to lower the car, or to improve cornering. It was to get rid of the bounciness from semi blown struts and stabilize it on the highway.

My expectations for the switch to 5.5 gen springs with Bilsteins is improved bump absorbtion, less rebound kick on undulating surfaces and humps in the road, as well as .8 inches of increased ground clearance, while still having a much more controlled ride than stock, especially with my rear sway bar dialed up to stiff.

Am I out to lunch?

I hope the $1500Cad is all you will spend on modding your car, but I doubt it.

Did your struts blow with the RCEs or with OEM springs?

I would either go to factory spec, or if you like the ride height of the RCE and want better than OEM feel, get the konis to go with your RCE springs.

There is a vendor on here that will build you a set. That may be the easy way to go.

My OEM struts were junk in 20k miles with OEM springs and the dealer wouldn't acknowledge it because they weren't pissing oil. But it was terrifying on the highway...

I'm going to go ahead with the 200lb springs with the Bilsteins...see how that goes. Someone on here is running 10-12 springs and Bilsteins and was happy... Norm?. So 14 springs being stiffer should be better match I'd think...

If that turns out to be junk, then it'll be a road trip for a koni install. The wife says yes much easier when their is an epic road trip attached. She wants to do a tour of the US west coast then up through New Mexico, Arizona, etc back to Alberta.

1500 on mods?! Hahaha... I'm at about 5k I think. I know that's nothing compared to some of you enablees.

I am still debating whether I should install the Megan toe arms plus eccentric lockout kit I got, or just sell it at a loss. Worried about salt corrosion of the pillowbal. I meant to get a bushing type and made a bad decision along the way. I am leaning on just installing it and if it goes bad, so what.... Replace it then or back to stock. Since I'll get squat for it resale, likely. Either that or press out the pillow ball and order a custom bushing to fit.

FML.

I am still debating whether I should install the Megan toe arms plus eccentric lockout kit I got, or just sell it at a loss.

FML.

I'm thinking about picking the toe arm up, is anyone else running the Megan?

Update: Rear is on 6 from softest, front is 7 from softest.

Still thinking about getting the springs to see if changes anything.

You guys have tricks on reducing coil binding?

Last year I put some thrust needle bearings and washers between the spring and the perches. While this worked, it still does it once in a while. I think I might remove the noise prevention cushions.

My OEM struts were junk in 20k miles with OEM springs and the dealer wouldn't acknowledge it because they weren't pissing oil. But it was terrifying on the highway...

I'm going to go ahead with the 200lb springs with the Bilsteins...see how that goes. Someone on here is running 10-12 springs and Bilsteins and was happy... Norm?. So 14 springs being stiffer should be better match I'd think...

If that turns out to be junk, then it'll be a road trip for a koni install. The wife says yes much easier when their is an epic road trip attached. She wants to do a tour of the US west coast then up through New Mexico, Arizona, etc back to Alberta.

1500 on mods?! Hahaha... I'm at about 5k I think. I know that's nothing compared to some of you enablees.

I am still debating whether I should install the Megan toe arms plus eccentric lockout kit I got, or just sell it at a loss. Worried about salt corrosion of the pillowbal. I meant to get a bushing type and made a bad decision along the way. I am leaning on just installing it and if it goes bad, so what.... Replace it then or back to stock. Since I'll get squat for it resale, likely. Either that or press out the pillow ball and order a custom bushing to fit.

FML.

Bring the wife to California and we can put Konis in your car in an afternoon right in my garage. Your wife and mine can go to the club and sun bathe by the pool or go to the spa for some pampering. :D

Edited by GTEASER

Bring the wife to California and we can put Konis in your car in an afternoon right in my garage. Your wife and mine can go to the club and sun bathe by the pool or go to the spa for some pampering. :D

Sounds enticing... I'd much rather spend the cash on a road trip then shipping costs. It took exactly 2 seconds to convince the wife that's a good idea :cool:

What's the best time of year for a coastal tour anyway? Probably spring time right? April...May?

What's the best time of year for a coastal tour anyway? Probably spring time right? April...May?

The coast in Washington or Oregon isn't going to be very nice weather until later in the summer, like July, but as soon as you get down into California, pretty much any time will work weather-wise. Certain times of the year tend to be better than others depending on where along the California coast you're going but it doesn't follow the seasons the way you might think. My wife and I go to Mendocino, CA fairly often. We have been there in April, August and November, and the nicest weather we have had there was in November, save for one day in August. There is plenty to see inland in California but keep in mind that 60 miles inland from the coast in the Summer can be a 40 degree F difference in temperature. If you come in Spring, you won't be disappointed and will be comfortable pretty much anywhere you travel here.

The garage stall is available and waiting for a Canadian plated LGT to visit for a little nip and tuck. Let me know when!

Edited by GTEASER

tarmac zeros with 400# springs will be decent for on road and track duty. You may choose 350# or 400# when you order from RCE. At least, I had that choice when I ordered mine. If you don't plan on being agressive at the track and you want some road comfort, the 350# are perfect.

KWv3 would be better. Those have 400# springs. Not sure about other spring rate possibilities upon ordering. Are you willing to pay the $1200 premium to adjust dampening?

If and when the tarmac zeros give out, I may go with the KWv3. Or, I may ask RCE about the tarmac2. Sti guys were running those at the track wtih 500# springs and they felt really good. Not sure about fitment. If they have something for the WRX, it will fit your Legacy (just 1/2" shorter in the front, but with a coilover, it doesn't matter)

Edited by fredrik94087