LegacyGT.com

Girodisc Widebody 99 GT Limited

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've only been around this forum as of recently and have to say that GyroDisk has one of THE sickest mod threads on here!! I'm own a 98' SC300 with a 2JZ engine in it. She's is a ton of fun on the road. After reading this thread I'm inspired to buy a 2Gen Legacy and have some fun with the AWD! Thanks for the inspiration!

Just one question:

Did your original 2.5GT have a 5spd manual. There are a TON of 2.5GT's but 95% of them are Automatic. When you started all of your mods I'm thinking that 5spd set up just made your life a whole lot easier.

Yeah it was a 5mt to begin with. I waited 3 months looking for this car I have very strict rules. Black, Leather, GT, 5mt.

So worked on her over the weekend. Got the Trigger swapped and installed a new timing belt but it looks like I did it all for nothing because the trigger looks the same and the timing was good. I needed a new belt anyways. Tried to start the car and the same crap but I installed a ver2.5 Hydra I had a buddy send me because he wanted me to sell it for him and the car started right up but wouldn't idle. Its a good thing and a bad thing at the same time. The good new being that I know everything I did was good and the engine itself look like its going to work out but the bad being that its the software or tuning... Something I can't fix and be one my way so I have to wait on someone else to get me the right map and being where I am the closes tuning is 40mins away and I doubt I'll be able to sweet talk him in to coming to me so I might have to tow the car somewhere to resolve this.. We'll see. I'll keep you all updated.

Johann @ Girodisc

Okay so I believe the issue it resolved. Possibly... haha. Okay so here it goes. My hydra has a custom harness for a WRX Swap into a Legacy. Originally there are 2 outputs for the Legacy's coil pack but since I am running the WRX Coil Packs I am using those 2 signal wires for 1 and 2 cylinders but there are flying leads for cylinders 3 and 4. For the injectors the pin-outs are 1-4 cylinders. But for the Coil packs its firing order 1-4. Basically we think that my 3rd and 2nd cylinder coil packs are wire backwards and this is because of the weirdness of my starting issue. The ver 2.14 hydras (which I have) start the car by firing in syncro and the ver 2.5 that I put in this weekend fires a batch spark. So my ecu won't fire my car because its backwards but the 2.5 will because it fires all my plugs at once but won't idle because it stops firing correctly. SO, basically I need to double check my coil pack signal wires are going to the correct cylinders and if they are I am back at square one but if not then I think the Legacy will finally get some life. Prolly do that once the weather improves later this week.

Johann @ Girodisc

So I checked it this morning before work and its wrong. Mine are wires 1-2-3-4 and they should be wire 1-3-2-4 so I'll change it after work and see if that fixes it.

Johann @ Girodisc

Hope that fixes the idle issue...That car needs to be running she's too hot to just sit in a garage somewhere!

Found me a nice 99' Granite Black Pearl 5mt. However, of the 3 I located ALL of them had the cloth seats. What's the deal with the MT's having cloth seats? I can probably always just buy some seats for her at a later date. I just want to secure the car vs. Wait another eternity looking for another 5spd.

Yeah I got pretty lucky to find mine as a 5mt in leather. I called 10secs after I saw it and bought it that day.

Anywhooo... THE CAR LIVES! After I swapped the coilpacks to the right spots she fired right up. It has a high idle which could be tuning or a leak. SO I sent the map to Dom to look at and I'll be doing the brake fluid test this afternoon. Should be getting her tuned as soon as this idle thing is figured out.

Johann @ Girodisc

Drove her for the first time in almost 5 months Sat. Shes got good power but definitely needs a tune. Going in tomorrow at 10 for that. I am bringing the 2.5 hydra with me just in case the 2.14 keep giving me starting issues.

Should have some dyno vids to post up.

Johann @ Girodisc

Okay its been a long couple days. Got her to the dyno. Got about 5 pulls in and everything was going well. Made 281whp/ 305 ftlbs at 17ish psi and we were going to shoot for 19-21 psi and the rod in the 2nd cylinder let go. Tick tick tick and my day was done. Got the car towed home. and

Got the car on the lift and at 3:00pm we got started

Pulled all the crap

Pulled the engine

Striped it down to a short block

Grabed my other 2.0L stock WRX Block.

Reassmbled the engine and got it ready to put back in the Car.

1:00am Went to Bed

11:00am Wed after going to a few places to get parts we started again.

Made a new Up-pipe because I decided to swap the N/A Borla header and up-pipe out for a STI Turbo Header.

Re-plumbed my Wastegate to dump to atmos

Notched the Crossmeber to fit the new Up-pipe

Installed a new larger Intercooler core because the one I had in there was to small to make 300whp

Repainted my Intercooler Pipes

Re-installed EVERYTHING

11:00pm fired her up and drove her with great success. She runs and drives great and the only issue I have is that it hits ether fuel or boost cut in like forth if I put it to the floor but its still considerably faster at just 3/4 throttle. I will get it checked out when I go back to Doms. This should be good enough to get me to the Auto X in the condition its in but if I can get a slight alteration to my tune in time I will try and get this thing buttoned up for good.

Setup dosen't look much different except there is a stock intake manifold on it and everything is now wrinkle black.

Johann @ Girodisc

Yeah I'll be auto xing tomorrow and hopefully taking another win. I'll have some vids for sure. The 2.2 block is still good or at least the case is. I am going to pull it apart and have a look at the crank. Thinking a higher compression 2.4L stroker and a EVO 3 16g as a possibility. With all the issues of this car its hard for me to think about starting completely over to do the EZ swap but I change my mind every hour. I like this setup its actually pretty nice. The car is quick but the bit of lag help hold traction in the corner so by the time I exit I am back in boost and rocketing out. The EZ30 will be instant power which would be great for the track but I fear a bit difficult to tame on a tight auto x course. I donno. I just really don't want to have to go through the headache of building an whole new setup, complete with a new set of problems and setbacks. I like driving my cars more then working on them.

Johann @ Girodisc

So do the rear doors wrap around the wheel well on the older Legacy, or does the edge of the doors flow straight down to the wheel? Thats impressive man. My LS has the rear where the doors edge go straight down and I had to cut the hell out of the wheel well inside the car next to the seats to try to pull the factory skin out to fit some spacers behind a set of mild 19x8.5's with a +35et.

Thats nice work!!

High rez shots soon when the weather gets better and I kinda want to try and get some new wheels but we will see how that goes.

So Auto Xing. Took my 1st win in the Lego and 2nd win for the season so far. The Lego performed very well. It had a couple issues but both can be resolved.

1st was my suspension. My stance coilovers have performed great for me and gotten me through 2 seasons of auto x and all the other shit I do to them but all the abuse has taken their toll. Once I got the car back on the road to do some shakedown testing I notice the car felt kinda floaty and I kept hearing a clunk every time I shifted the weight of the car. FInally figured out that the holes for the strut perch where the hub bolts to the coilover have started to wear and become oval shaped so my hub is clicking back and forth basically giving me live camber adjustment. So the remedy is the get new coilovers (I kinda wanted to upgrade to the Stance XRs) or new perches. We will see.

The second issue is the turbo. In the dry the car performed amazing on this course. This is one of our faster course and it was enough to put more over a second ahead of the competition with more room to shave time. But Yesterday the racers were given the opportunity to run the course again for test and tuning. It was pouring so I was there getting a fell for the Lego in the rain. The slower speeds took a toll on the Legos performance. Where I was getting a 54.7 with room to easily hit a low 54 or high 53 I was getting a 57.6 and giving it all I had (provided I had the suspension issue which was more apparent in the rain) but the biggest issue was that I would out of the boost curve. I have a VF39 on there now but I have a stock TD04 that I am going to port and install to get a better boost curve. It will be less power but on the track I will be able to utilize more of it then with my VF39.

So that's it. I have 3 vids I'll be posting up in the next day or two. 2 quick ones and a fun run for my my last run since I already had the win for my class.

Johann @ Girodisc

Hey all I have some pics of the Lego in action from this weekends auto x. I'll have vids posted up tonight or tomorrow.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x223/badwagon/LegoAutoX06.jpg

Little Drifting Action...

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x223/badwagon/LegoAutoX07.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x223/badwagon/LegoAutoX11.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x223/badwagon/LegoAutoX13.jpg

Still feeling out the Non ABS System I just put in lol.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x223/badwagon/LegoAutoX15.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x223/badwagon/LegoAutoX25.jpg

Some Nice Pics at the end of the Day:

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x223/badwagon/LegoAutoX26.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x223/badwagon/LegoAutoX27.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x223/badwagon/LegoAutoX29.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x223/badwagon/LegoAutoX34.jpg

Johann @ Girodisc

Archived