LegacyGT.com

Everything you wanted to know about a hitch install...

3tones

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I purchased the Outback brackets and extra bolts for mounting the hitch but I have not installed it yet. Here are the part #s:

Right Rear bracket: 50825AG10A

Left Rear bracket: 50825AG11A

And you will need 2 additional bolts, P/N: 010110250

jasejase, talked to my friend ( subaru tech), he said that the hitch is fine. The extra brackets were for additional support, The legacy's shouldn't be towing more than 2700 lbs, unlike the outbacks. In addition, there are some aftermarket hitches that only attach with 4 bolts. Not like our OEM 6 bolt setup. Peace of mind? Order the brackets, but I think I'm good to go with my 6 bolts. Thank you for checking!

Thats my plan... Thanks for looking into this!

I thought the exact same thing about the 6 bolts.... Thats two more than hidden hitch uses from what i recall. If we get a boat or something heavier one day, perhaps, i will get the brackets, otherwise, the 5 on there should be just fine!

Hey, since you got a friend at subie that seems to have some knowledge, check out my post under the warrannty section - titlted 07 sunroof... Run that situation by him if you dont mind! lOl

Thanks!

Shriner - Have you been using the hitch without the brackets in the meantime?

Im likely making a mountain out of mole hill, as most of its use will be a bike hitch rack... But....

I haven't installed the hitch yet as I haven't had a need for it. If I were only going to use the hitch for a bike rack I wouldn't bother with the brackets but if you are going to tow anthing over 500lbs I would strongly consider using them. They must be there for a reason.

I added the straps on my wagon, here is why...

1. The towing rating is actually the same between Outbacks, Legacy Wagons, and Legacy Sedans. It is a frame thing.

2. I use mine primarily for a bike rack. The extra straps help carry the tonque weight better. I know others only do 4 bolts, but I wanted a better factor of safety for my bikes ;)

After the install, I was glad for the extra bolts involved. I am pretty sure one of the 6 normal bolts stripped while trying to get to the factory specified torque. Due to that, I question the other bolts too, so 8 is better than 6, or 4 ;) It is not much extra money at all, about 30 dollars I think...

:spin:

ahh decisions decisions... I would rather not drop the hitch again, but then again, i dont want to lost my bikes... or cause an accident (both unlikely - i know).

I think for now... i will use it a few times, then crawl under with a ratchet to see if any of the bolts (that i can reach without dropping the exhaust) have loosened up at all.

Perhaps i will get the additional brackets over the fall or winter, and have them ready to go for next year.

Thanks for the feedback.

post # 185 on page 13... first pic.

shows the hitch put together (off the car), and it looks like the bracket is UNDER the hitch mount. Im guessing that you could put it on, on top of the hitch plate as well... ??

For those of you putting on Thule hitch racks on your subie oem hitch... where are you getting a bolt to get into the hitch sleeve on the thule?!

it threads into the thule sleeve, and there is no way im getting a socket around the head, because of the flange on the oem hitch.

Our local hardware and home depots dont carry a bolt that size with an allen wrench head on it... the only thing i could do is get a longer bolt (which they do carry), and fill it in with washers so the head sticks out before the flange... ?!

I believe I hammered or crowbarred the flange to get enough clearance to sneak a socket in that gap. This is on an 08 OB.

I want to put the OEM hitch on my 05 LGT. The L101SAG000 is the one to go with?

Thats the one i went with... there are a couple additional brackets on there too, for legacy sedans that you 'need.' The outback comes with them, sedans do not. I opted not to put them in now. You dont need them to install the hitch, you just can put an additional side bracket in. This is explained in the last couple of pages of this thread. Part #s are in there somwehere too, if you want to do it up with the brackets.

As is it, there are 6 bolts holding this hitch on. Fine for a hitch rack and a couple bikes in my opinion at least!

If you cant find a bolt for your thule, and you dont want to hammer your oem hitch,you can order the bolts from mcmaster.... From what i found on another forum the McMaster part number is 91290A624

I found a place locally however, that specializes in nuts and bolts... and they had the allen wrench head version, for like $1.50 a piece. Picked up three of them today, just in case.

Odd design on this hitch! but still, is the least noticeable of all the hitches out there right now (in my opinion).

L101SAG000 install went pretty well. Bit tricky getting it up there past the mufflers. I only dropped the 5 hangers, but squeezed it in there with some help. The biggest difficulty was one of the holes didn't align well, like 1/4-inch off. It took a block of wood and a crowbar in there (helper!) to twist the bracket on once side to get alignment.

Seems pretty secure with the 6 bolts and no OB brackets/braces. Might add those in the future if I start using a trailer. I'll also have to figure out wiring at that point, and how to get 12V back there. For now, I have a Thule bike rack going on.

(As others have said, did not need to remove heat shields per the instructions. The vinyl hole covers popped right out.)

I ended up using a massive pry bar to pry the top flange up a bit on the right side where I need to get the socket in there, barely. It's what I did on our 08 OB couple years ago. I might try to find a hex cap screw though since that will offer more clearance and a bit more security (rarer).

Nice! Yeah, it was pretty tight getting the hitch in there for me too, even with dropping the hangers. It was all about the one and only angle/approach, that it slid into place!

sucks about the bolt alignment. Sounds like someone was sleeping in the factory the day they drilled the frame out

Thats a good idea about the flange. I thought about doing that briefly, but decided to make it my quest to find the bolt first.

we used ours for the first time this weekend without the additional brackets on the hitch. Just the 6 bolts. CT to MA and back.. no issues. hitch still on there tight! I will likely order up the secondary support brackets, as this is direct tongue weight. (hitch and bikes). Sounds like the 'safe' thing to do i guess. Need to wire up the trailer harness too, just in case something comes up, and i want to tow.

RE: Post 185.. page 13....

Anyone care to comment (that has used the straps)?

This pic shows the strap mount flange UNDER the flange of the hitch frame. Anyone put the strap bracket on TOP of the hitch frame? does it make a difference?

I want to add my straps on, but would rather not drop the entire hitch.

Just installed the hidden hitch 4k lbs 2" no idea on the part number, what a whore! Bolt holes did not line up, had to widen them, no way it was going above the tow hook. It is the most hideous thing in the world! It hangs down so low and almost sticks out the back. It's herra frush yo! I hate it, anyone want to buy it near Ma?

Anyone have a hitch with a dropped car? considering up to a 1" drop and 18" wheels.

I did.

Just got used to the scraping of the hitch coming out of anything but the most-gradual driveways. Plus I had a golf ball screwed into the end of my receiver plug. Lost a bunch of those! Any decorative plug that hung down at all was history on the first hit.

Ron

Just installed the hidden hitch 4k lbs 2" no idea on the part number, what a whore! Bolt holes did not line up, had to widen them, no way it was going above the tow hook. It is the most hideous thing in the world! It hangs down so low and almost sticks out the back. It's herra frush yo! I hate it, anyone want to buy it near Ma?

With that sales pitch, im sure it will go quick! :lol:

It fits fine now, it's just ugly to me. If someone needs to tow a boat or something they will get over how it looks. I am just using it for a bike rack that doesn't even fit in it. I am looking into other options. I am very picky about what goes on my car, if I had a 1 1/4" that I could get above the tow hook I feel it would look better.

Archived