LegacyGT.com

Everything you wanted to know about a hitch install...

3tones

L101SAG000: 200lb tongue rating, 2000lb tow rating.

L101SAG100: 200lb tongue rating, 2700lb tow rating.

I have the L101SAG100 on my '05 LGT sedan. I don't do any towing with it just as a mount for a bike rack and a cargo tray.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/TRS60586/Misc%20Legacy/DSCN03092.jpghttp://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/TRS60586/Misc%20Legacy/DSCN03052.jpg

When I bought it, it was only listed as for the Outback and some sites still only show it for the Outback.

ill probably order the same one as yours, did you get those extra outback brackets as well?

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ill probably order the same one as yours, did you get those extra outback brackets as well?
No, I didn't as I didn't plan to ever actually tow anything. The hitch was for mounting a bicycle rack and a cargo tray to.

Just for record, I ended up ordering the L101SAG000 for my 2008 Legacy GT. This version is cheaper and I am only using it for a bike rack. The box came marked for a "2005 Legacy". It includes the full wiring harness, muffler exhaust gaskets and the tongue for the hitch. I sold the wiring harness for $50 on this forum so the overall cost was pretty reasonable. It bolted up perfectly and fits pretty tightly to the bumper. It also comes with a Subaru logo cap for the hitch so it looks pretty stealth when not in use.

Just for record, I ended up ordering the L101SAG000 for my 2008 Legacy GT. This version is cheaper and I am only using it for a bike rack. The box came marked for a "2005 Legacy". It includes the full wiring harness, muffler exhaust gaskets and the tongue for the hitch. I sold the wiring harness for $50 on this forum so the overall cost was pretty reasonable. It bolted up perfectly and fits pretty tightly to the bumper. It also comes with a Subaru logo cap for the hitch so it looks pretty stealth when not in use.

pic once installed please and overall price? i have one but it wasn't OEM and rubbed on driveway at work. little drop in transition.

So fitment was perfect on the 08'? Where did you order the hitch from and how much?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

are these type of ball mount ment to use L flowing down?? can I mount it UP? to get more clearance, I have a 2" hidden hitch and car is lower, I just don't think I have enough clearance if I mount the way shown in pic.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41jMeahAzSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

You can mount them up.

If you couldn't, they'd be marked.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Generally draw bars will be marked with two different dimensions, i.e. 1 1/4" DROP, 5/8" RISE. Generally the drop is more than the rise.

You want to use the bar so that your trailer sits level. For most CARS (not trucks/suvs), it means flipping it to take advantage fo the rise function.

Also if you are towing a larger than normal trailer, it may be a good idea to use a different drawbar with more rise.

Just wanted to say thanks for the thread- I got my draw-tite installed two weekends ago, and it went just as you said it would. Next time I'd seriously consider removing the mufflers though, as it was a royal PITA to get those bolts tight. I don't think my mufflers have ever been off though, so was afraid of breaking a bolt or making a leak.

Also, wash the underside of the car first. I had dirt dropping in my eyes the whole time.

I ran two spacers (included with the hitch) on the front bolts, none on the rear, and put the flange of the hitch above the tow hook, then bolted it though the hook with the stock gear (had to modify the bolt plate a little). It's a tight fix, and a little sprung there, but it gave me a little more clearance.

I also turned my stinger upside down- I'm at a + 1 degree up on the trailer now, so a little high, but I've got pretty good clearance. 8.5" at the receiver, 7.5" at the lowest point of the mount. I got up to 65 on my test drive with no hint of sway or other issues.

legacygt-8.thumb.jpg.c3f83bd5050c898eae429ce614f6e567.jpg

Scooby...just got around to this post...I know LOOONG time ago...what exhaust is that it's gorgeous!

Thanks

B

I have a few more pics of the OEM hitch that I may as well put up in this thread:

A pic of just how close it tucks up to the bumper:

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/3858/92067689.jpg

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/9094/93338676.jpg

http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/2329/43924365.jpg

..and I feel like a tool because I still haven't used the hitch for anything (except to scrape it occasionally when backing into spots:redface:). Been to busy/broke to find and buy a nice bike rack for it yet.

• 4 weeks later...
Ok, wired the harness tonight and everything seems to work.

I had to splice in the harness to the tail lamp connector, since on the LGT sedan, there is no trailer connector.

Here are the pinouts (with the open end of the connector facing you):

1 2 3

4 5 x

clip

1 - Turn (this is the same on the driver's side or the passenger's side)

2 - tail/runner light

3 - ?

4 - ?

5 - Stop lamp

x - no pin at this post

3 or 4 is reverse (didn't bother testing). Whichever isn't the reverse, is a ground presumably. I connected the harness ground (which came with a ring terminal attached) to one of the bolts of the taillight assembly.

Happy pulling.

I have a 500 mile hitch ride nxt wk, & trying to wire this up, where is this hardness location?

anyone have pics of the hardness location?

I installed the L101SAG000 hitch on my 2007 Legacy Limited wagon today.

Even though it says "2005" the fit was perfect* and cheaper than the later hitch ($254 shipped from Subaru Online Parts).

It took me a couple of hours because of a couple of bad turns - here's what worked and what didn't.

I didn't need ramps but I did roll the rear wheels up onto a couple of pavers to give a bit of extra space.

Dropping only the last 4 muffler hangers didn't work, I had to drop the 5th one up at the Y pipe to get enough space to get the hitch in.

The box the hitch came in is useful for supporting the mufflers - good height.

Ignore the instructions about removing the mufflers and heat shields - you can just pop off the plastic plugs in the frame.

I needed to tap one of the frame holes (after much cursing I realized the problem was not lining things up but that I needed to tap the threads). You might want to have the right size tap on hand before you start to save time.

* The fit was perfect except that one hitch hole didn't quite line up with the frame. After futzing around for awhile, I realized that if I put a screwdriver through the hitch hole and pried into place, I could tighten down the other two bolts to keep everything lined up and then put in the third bolt on that side.

Thanks to all for the good info on this thread - much happier with this solution than the hidden hitch on my wife's 2005 Legacy Limited.

I installed the L101SAG000 hitch on my 2007 Legacy Limited wagon today.

Thanks to all for the good info on this thread - much happier with this solution than the hidden hitch on my wife's 2005 Legacy Limited.

Can you elaborate on why you like it better than the hidden hitch? I'm ready to pull the trigger on a hitch and everything seems to be about the same, but this one looks a bit different from the others.

I found photos on subaru forester.org (link). The photo on subaru online parts is a joke.

Can you elaborate on why you like it better than the hidden hitch? I'm ready to pull the trigger on a hitch and everything seems to be about the same, but this one looks a bit different from the others.

Looks-wise it's similar to the newer model Subaru hitch.

I've attached photos so you can see for yourself - wife's sedan with HH and my wagon with Scooby hitch. HH sticks out further and is lower, more likely to scrape on stuff.

And Superhawk, SOP says Outback but box says 2005 Legacy.

IMG_0520.jpg.ab9f2abc3d3204227b76a4dd1a44859a.jpg

IMG_0521.jpg.bac4f0b8b91817c688c149b31b837c6f.jpg

IMG_0522.jpg.a7ddb6876556fc9d599e9acce8c5815a.jpg

IMG_0525.jpg.0d2d4b83562141b37ef6697d7aa5c8d5.jpg

Archived