LegacyGT.com

Everything you wanted to know about a hitch install...

3tones

Bumping this old thread. Finally got around to install Subaru OEM hitch for Legacy Wagon, part # L101SAG000 that was sitting in my garage for a few years now. Opened the box, I have no bolts included in the kit. wiring harness with adapter, tongue, cap - all is there, just no bolts.

So the question is - does it install on existing bolts or did I get incomplete kit ? Too late to return it anyway, so I would need to know what kind of bolts are required if I did in fact get incomplete kit.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ i agree... I seem to remember being short on bolts... Either in the sense that NONE were included, or i was missing one or two. It's been a couple years though.

Didnt some of the mounting holes have NO bolts in them to begin with? I honestly cant remember.

This reminds, me, i have to drop the hitch and add the extra support straps that i got after i put the hitch on.

My 05 Legacy Sedan did NOT have bolts, there were simply plugs in the bottom of the car. I know the bolts themselves were simple M8x1.25 thread I believe, and were 2 or 3 " long.. I'd find out exactly though.. go look under the car and see if there are bolts there.

My box for L101SAG000 came without bolts, and there were no bolts on the car to be reused, just mounting holes with caps. I went with M10x1.25 40mm from HD. I used all six bolting locations , the two ones closest to the bumper required 3 flat washers to work as spacers between the frame and hitch. There were two black metal strips with nuts welded on them in the set, but I couldn't figure out where they go, so those are still in the box.

Other than that everything went well, will test it this weekend.

From what I remember, my hitch came with mounting hardware. because, as stated earlier, there are just plugs where the mounting holes are underneath, no bolts.

My hitch came with those black metal pieces with nuts welded on them, and I believe they were for the OB install. I never used mine either.

SBT just referred to a post where mounting brackets (OB specific) for those strips are described in this thread : http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/few-more-hitch-questions-16038.html , post #42.

SO - the info you need is here

• 9 months later...
Not me, but that is pretty nice. A good alternative to a rooftop box in some cases. I have a Thule Atlantis 1600 (16 cubic feet) and love it for snowboarding and camping trips. 13 cubic feet is a pretty good amount of additional capacity.

Where are you guys finding hitches for $130-$140 for this car? All i'm finding is crazy prices like $170-$180+ at Jcwhitney and others. The hidden hitch specifically is like $195 on JCWhitney and others have said on here they bought it from a site for $149. Thanks

Not me, but that is pretty nice. A good alternative to a rooftop box in some cases. I have a Thule Atlantis 1600 (16 cubic feet) and love it for snowboarding and camping trips. 13 cubic feet is a pretty good amount of additional capacity.

I'd like to see one mounted to a legacy... Can't find any pics other than outbacks

I'd like to see one mounted to a legacy... Can't find any pics other than outbacks
Are you concerned about ground clearance? I can't think of anything else that would be different between the two.

I just went mountain biking at Big Bear (local ski resort) and hitch mounted bike carriers were everywhere on everyday sedans. They must outnumbered rooftop carriers by a huge margin. I imagine the clearance is probably pretty similar. My buddy has a lowered G37 sedan with a 2 bike carrier and I don't think he scrapes much or at all. These are bike carriers that have rails or similar for the wheels to sit in, not the type that suspend the bike from the crossbar.

Kind of concerned about how hideous the thing will look! About 99% of the pics, show it on the back of an SUV... And it looks huge on the suv's!

as far as ground clearance goes, that shouldnt be any lower than the actual hitch receiver, so i could care less about that!

You're actually concerned with how it fits in with the Legacy's proportions? That's that last thing I would have guessed. You could paint it to match your car if you want to make it look better I suppose.

Yeah, the "665c Transporter Combi" you posted earlier.

Would you leave it mounted permanently? I imagine the typical user putting it on for a trip or special use and then storing in the garage most of the time. I figure if you have a need for it, looks are a distance second to function.

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I installed the OEM hitch yesterday. A few things:

- I didn't read this thread first. I haven't done a ton of work on cars yet, so I just followed the instructions given by Subaru. First step: take off mufflers. That step ruined a perfectly good Saturday last weekend. Busted out a torch and everything to attempt to get them off. Turns out I didn't need to do that.

- I had to drop the mufflers way lower than I thought I had to. I initially took the four hangers rear hangers off, but that wasn't enough. I wound up taking a tie-down strap to secure the middle of the exhaust. Then took off the fifth hanger, and lowered the exhaust until it was enough. I attached a photo of how low the mufflers hung.

- The sixth bolt didn't line up, so I had to take a pry-bar and push it into place. Kind of a pita, but it did the job.

- I used the outback brackets so that I could install the straps. However, the bolts that Opie provided part numbers for didn't work on the 7th and 8th holes. The bolts were way too small. For now, I don't have bolts there, and I'm wondering if any one else has ran into that issue.

Also, get a friend to help. I attempted it at first by myself, and had to swallow my pride.

IMG_20140503_152843.thumb.jpg.e34af54894390fba9e2725a7417e6a76.jpg

I put the OEM hitch, and recently took it off, with only removing the four rear hangers. It's a bit of a jig saw puzzle, but it's doable. :)

That reminds me, I gotta list that hitch up on the FS thread.

Is it safe to jack the car under the rear diff?

It seemed scary to me, too. I read up a bunch about it, and lots of people were suggesting to jack it there. Maybe that's not cool?

• 5 months later...

Based on the numerous people that have said the hitches for these cars are interchangeable, including a few people in this thread that have successfully installed one or the other on their Legacy sedan, I purchased the L101SAG000 hitch for my car. For reference for those that said they seemed to be missing various items, mine came with the hitch, ball mount, all necessary bolts (including to replace the ones for the exhaust), replacement exhaust o-rings (actually diamond-shaped, but not sure what they're called), and instructions.

When I tried to actually mount the hitch to the car, I found it would not reach the holes on both frame rails. The culprit was the fact the passenger side arm/wing of the hitch has a slight curve in it. This causes the flange to be moved in slightly toward center, and also causes it to have a pretty severe angle to it, so that even if it did line up to the frame rail it would not sit flush against it. I contacted the company, who states in their return policy they will cover shipping costs for the return of a defective product. They told me that since I bought the hitch for a car other than the one I'm installing it on, they will not do so. I've tried to explain to them that the car I'm putting it on doesn't matter, the hitch is clearly defective and therefore should fall under the return policy. To sum it up, they were not only completely against this idea, but they were highly unprofessional. They even said they pulled another part from their inventory and it had the same curve in it, which to me simply says they have multiple defective stock.

So, I called some Subaru dealerships to get their take, and as others have experienced, I was told by multiple ones that there is no hitch for the sedan. This is particularly odd since before I bought the hitch I called a different dealer, asked about a hitch for my car, and they told me the part number and gave me a price. In talking with a person in parts, she explained the curve is likely there to get around the exhaust on the wagon. I tried explaining this doesn't make sense due to the curve causing the flange to be angled, which would prevent it from sitting properly against the frame rail, and she said she would have one of the techs who does the installs call me back. Of course, I never received a call, so perhaps I'll try again.

While I'm 99% sure the curve and resultant angling of the flange are not correct, and that this is a defective part, before I file a dispute through my credit card company and take other courses of action, I was hoping to get some feedback from the community. Ideally, I'd like for others that have one of the hitches (preferably the same part # as mine, but I'm not picky), to take a look and see how it compares to mine, but even if somebody can say with certainty that mine is defective it'll make me feel much better about proceeding. Pictures would be very helpful. I've attached several pictures of mine to illustrate the issue. Thanks in advance for any help.

TL;DR: I ordered a hitch I'm fairly certain is defective, but would like others to examine their hitches and compare against mine and let me know if theirs are the same as mine or if mine truly is defective.

03_1600x900.thumb.jpg.7680658c5a7bec292a9ef6404438e4f9.jpg

05_1600x900.thumb.jpg.a8e04451279e6cb48f6f7b98b773e21b.jpg

07_1600x900.thumb.jpg.2836be8c19b25669102bb919832b833f.jpg

10_675x1200.thumb.jpg.6a9831a79c35f1e2181c8ff2d36b6fdb.jpg

12_675x1200.thumb.jpg.dfec4fd0c7787b760daddf24ad5314d5.jpg

13_1600x900.thumb.jpg.e8ff0e4b4c2f2f57f93b14d55ca1437b.jpg

14_1600x900.thumb.jpg.7c342f248e1832bc3dee59b3c94d3f6a.jpg

15_1600x900.thumb.jpg.f4a06882889c5530343b284bbf8f71d8.jpg

16_1600x900.thumb.jpg.f3e8944f956761113eba3834d71e9ae0.jpg

17_1600x900.thumb.jpg.d38daf070c5f4399e008d266b2180d0c.jpg

Archived