LegacyGT.com

Everything you wanted to know about a hitch install...

3tones

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its only fair to show my install with the gusset plate on top of the anchor and the shims in the front bolts to point the reciver up at an angle. It is a bit over 8" to the bottom of the receiver and I have no scraping. the upward slant keeps my bike rack from scraping too bad, but you do have to watch how you go in and out of steep driveways, and so on

CIMG1218.thumb.jpg.c8cb1ceabba8ba150828822f3249c25d.jpg

CIMG1219.thumb.jpg.3bfae14dcaa84188949ee8b51da3d0e8.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Round tube Hidden Hitch (discontinued version) installed and new Thule 917XT T2 rack.

I didn't put the car on jack stands, just dropped the mufflers. Yes, this added to the complexity, but eventually it went on. Hitch is mounted above tow hook and tucks neatly under the bumper. No wasted space or odd angles.

I'm so glad I returned the triangular #N87446 Class III based on your photos/guidance. Much thanks.

rack1.thumb.jpg.2030cfaa20d53889524447b53baac8f5.jpg

rack2.jpg.581b6a92b2965601ca8206ca9c0fa822.jpg

Round tube Hidden Hitch (discontinued version) installed and new Thule 917XT T2 rack.

I didn't put the car on jack stands, just dropped the mufflers. Yes, this added to the complexity, but eventually it went on. Hitch is mounted above tow hook and tucks neatly under the bumper. No wasted space or odd angles.

I'm so glad I returned the triangular #N87446 Class III based on your photos/guidance. Much thanks.

Looks like everything showed up and you got it installed. Congrats!!

Ron

• 4 weeks later...
Well I bought a used L101SAG000 OB hitch off the forum. Everything I read here seems to reinforce that it will fit. Hope to install it soon and buy a nice 4-bike rack for it as soon as I can.

Will try and post some pics up once I install it.

Finished installing the L101SAG000 OEM hitch a couple hours ago. Overall a pretty easy install, definitely helps to have a second set of hands to help initially hold and line up the hitch. Hangs a little lower than I expected but is fairly well hidden when viewed from some angles. Will post some pics up later.

L101SAG000:

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/1470/hitch01.jpg

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/200/hitch02.jpg

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/4428/hitch03.jpg

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/2547/hitch04.jpg

http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/7633/hitch05.jpg

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/9646/hitch06.jpg

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/5208/htich07.jpg

Now to shop for a rack.. anyone have recommendations for a nice 4 bike rack that mounts to a 1.25" receiver?

There are other hitch threads, which should be merged into one thread, and then stickied, if we really are to refer to this thread as "everything . . . . .". Mods?

To answer your question (OP), which has already been answered in one of the other hitch threads, the Subaru hitch above is for the impreza outback, but fits the sedan perfectly. It is a class II hithc, but the Subaru Legacy, sedan or wagon (or outback) is only rated for 2700 pounds of towing capacity per the Owner's manual. The ball mount itself has stamped on it a maximum capacity of 3000 pounds.

As far as a bike rack, this one may suit your needs:

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1031443_-1_400019_400007_400019

I have one similar to the Thule 918 T2, which can be angled away from the trunk (or hatch) to allow it to open. I do not know if the above rack would allow for this. Google is your friend for the outside world, as is the search button on this site.

The problems with search are, sometimes there are many threads, and there is no way to know which ones have useful information. If you do a search and combine hitch with 3tones, opie, or rporter, all your questions will be answered.

My two cents

I brought my dirt bike to Pennsylvania from CT this past weekend for the Rally America races with my spec B! I got a lot of strange looks but the car did fine, no issues at all, even passed a few people on the road! It was worth it, having a bike down there riding to all of the races. I would suggest this for a fun weekend! :)

30610_1354456976578_1086030023_30884122_259887_n.jpg.6b1d43ea270df390de13467eaf41534e.jpg

Wow looks good! I have the hidden hitch square design, and it's sure F'ugly... also hangs a lot lower and it's beefier. I've actually knicked it on sidewalks once in a while when I'm backing out.. and I can scrape it on bigger "ramps" even getting out of some parking lots. The hitch is so solid though, it doesn't even look like it took much damage, but it sure makes a horrific noise!

I rented the trailer from u-haul and there were giving me issues taking it the way I had it, so I needed to buy a 2" lift for it. I'd imagine that you have some problems with the hidden hitch being so low! It is pretty unsightly but I only plan on towing my dirt bike twice a year- to STPR and NEFR, so I may take it off for the rest of the year. I haven't hit anything with it yet, its sits pretty high up. I can't complain $150 for the hitch, shipping, and the receiver!! :spin:

As far as a bike rack, this one may suit your needs:

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1031443_-1_400019_400007_400019

I have one similar to the Thule 918 T2, which can be angled away from the trunk (or hatch) to allow it to open. I do not know if the above rack would allow for this. Google is your friend for the outside world, as is the search button on this site.

I also have the Thule "Hitching Post" similar to that one, but with a stabilizer bar that swings out from the bottom. (You can thread straps through the wheels and the stabilizer bar, and the bikes won't swing forward and back.) AFAIK, they stopped putting the stabilizer bar on shortly after I bought mine. I haven't used it with the sedan (since I don't have my hitch yet) but with the bike arms folded down (in the not in use/storage position), I can open my Outback tailgate without having to move the hitch. I love using it, but it's a bit hefty to carry to and from the car.

When Chuck Norris was born, the only person who cried was the doctor. Never slap Chuck Norris. - E.J.S.

If anyone is looking for a rack, I have a Yakima Kingpin 2 for sale. It comes with the securing screw that will work with the OEM subaru hitch. PM me if you are interested.

If anyone is looking for a rack, I have a Yakima Kingpin 2 for sale. It comes with the securing screw that will work with the OEM subaru hitch. PM me if you are interested.

What kind of screw works with the Subaru hitch? I had to modify one to work because of the gusseting on the hitch. Yakima claimed that nobody ever mentioned anything to them and Subaru said that it was my fault for not buying a Subaru bike rack.

BTW: The hitch pictured has the extra "Outback" brackets that do NOT come with the hitch. The little side straps that attach to them DO come with the hitch. I believe that Opie posted the part numbers in one of the hitch threads a long time ago. If you actually have an Outback, the brackets are supposed to already be on the car.

-- Steve

hitch02.jpg.e5c2865bb0770a1b1a1530f18593732b.jpg

What kind of screw works with the Subaru hitch? . . . .

-- Steve

The Thule rack has internal threads which line up with the link pin holes of the receiver. It takes a long thin wall socket to install it because of the overhanging metal supports designed into the the hitch. For security I considered a star drive metric bolt, as plenty of thieves can get allen(hexagonal)wrenches, but I have not yet parked in a location that looked questionable for security, meaning nobody has stolen the whole rack and bikes yet. I always weave a heavy braided metal security cable through the wheels and frame and bike carrier, as the rubber compound wheel straps can be cut, and with the wheels removed from the bike the top frame mount support is useless. Just some tips from another Subaru mountain biker.

I used a grade 8 Hex bolt that was threaded at the end with a locking washer and a collared sleeve to work with the OEM hitch. It works fine, and I have carried two bikes for over 80 miles without it even loosening up.

I always took my rack off when I wasn't using it. It would fit in the trunk without a problem if I needed it to. Never really worried me though, because someone can steal the trays off my roof rack easier than they can steal the whole hitch rack.

In Chicago they are using cordless grinders with cut off wheels to get bike locks etc. I seen camera footage of them cutting kryptonite U bike locks in 2 minutes, this was at 1pm on a busy downtown street and nobody even looked or cared. I don't leave my bike rack ever on the back of my car around here. They will steal it for scrap metal!

• 4 weeks later...

I installed the oem hitch on my 05 LG. L101SAG000....

I got it in without disconnecting the mufflers, just dropped 5 hangers ( the one at the y gave me extra bit of clearance).

The side straps did confuse me a bit, as there are no place to bolt them in. As other posters mention, it appears the OB this hitch is designed for, has a mounting piece for these side straps. The Legacy's do not.

Scoobiedoobie had pics of his on page 13, that appear to have the extra mounting bracket that DOES NOT come with the hitch model above (as another poster mentioned).

Does anyone know or have any thoughts about if the hitch will loose any structural integrity without these side straps?!

I mean 6 bolts to the frame is already more than hidden hitch uses, so i would assume its fine!

Thanks!

Archived