LegacyGT.com

Everything you wanted to know about a hitch install...

3tones

FYI: Please avoid direct quoting of this post in replies. I am going to be updating it for clarity.

I ordered a Hidden Hitch 90756 from etrailer.com. Very fast shipping. I decided to document the install to clear up the confusion over this hitch. After the install, I can see why there are so much confusion. I'll start with my install, in detail, then explain why things are so confusing.

Here are the general steps:

1) put car up on stands/ramps

2) remove muffler hangers (4 total - see "hanger removal.jpg")

3) optional - support the mufflers (see "muffler support.jpg")

4) get the hitch close to mounting (see "hitch install.jpg" for the trick)

5) put in spacers

5) loosely put in bolts, get things close, then cinch it up

6) should look like "final picture.jpg"

It took me about an hour, mostly because I was documenting, and because I had trouble getting it lined up right with the spacers. First, I put the car up on ramps... they just barely cleared the lower panels. Remove the muffler hangers using some lube of some sort. Wrap your fingers around the hanger, and push the stud with the knob on the end. See the picture. I chose to prop the mufflers up a little with 2x4s when I wasn't doing much to keep the stress off the rest of the exhaust system. Now get the hitch above the mufflers. Let them hang low and put the right side of the hitch above the right muffler from the front of the car. Then, put the left side of the hitch above the left muffler from the back of the car. Turn into position. See the picture. I held the hitch in place temporarily by installing the bolt through the tow loop. Put the spacers in. I put all the 1/2" spacers in each bolt, and added the 3/16" spacer through the bolt toward the back of the car. The directions are pretty confusing. I'll get to that later. Square everything up and tighten it all up. For my install, the hitch goes below the tow hook (more on that later.) So that's it for the install.

OK... so after my install, I was a little dissapointed with how low the hitch is. So I started to make this post. After scanning my instructions to make this post, I found the scan was not to great, so I looked for the PDF on hidden hitch's website. Turns out they are quite different. Looks like I got the one dated 8/17/04, and the one on the website is dated 8/23/04. The new instructions use different spacers, and have the hitch above the tow loop for a nicer installation. Although from the parts list on the first instructions say I should have the spacers (four 3/16") to do the updated install, I only had two 3/16" spacers. So, for now, it will stay below the tow loop until I get new spacers.

So now the discrepancies in the instructions. See the image attaced.

1)Installtion of "G" spacer (highlited in yellow) - says two different things.

2) spacer count (highlited in red). I only got 2 3/16" spacers. This is also different on the updated instructions.

3) sockets lists (highlited in blue). It says a 14 and 17mm. I needed a 17 and 19mm.

4) plug removal (highlited in brown). For the sedan, it says you only need to remove 2 plugs. I had to remove 4.

Although most of this post is filled with negative comments, I am still very happy with the purchase. The hitch is very solid and well built, well worth $140. The instructions are not clear, but they are obvious mistakes anyone smart enough to install the hitch should be able to work around. The spacer deal is yet to be resolved. I am going to get hidden hitch to send me the new spacers and tell them about the problems with the instructions. They can't account for everything because of all the small changes between the models. I also need to do the wireing. I will update this post as I hear more. Hope this helps... feel free to ask any questions.

UPDATE 8/15/05

I re-did the install to have the smaller square spacers with the bolts toward the rear of the car. That was the only spacers I used. I was then able to put the hitch above the tow hook for a much better install. When it was below the tow hook, I hit it on a lot of things. Now that is above, I havn't hit it on anything. It's amazing what 3/4 of an inch will do. Check out the last pic for how it looks now.

90756.pdf

first instructions.pdf

90756.pdf

1402836351_hangerremoval.jpg.af540f313941acaebff9dd490b501de5.jpg

986728506_mufflersupport.jpg.6b32dc9d523fa714e54b5f75b09d2f0a.jpg

1040464508_plugtoremove.jpg.46ff994105769bbb75a619f10cb2bbe3.jpg

530375805_hitchinstall.jpg.31cc092ec0267be6c1e487f47d02b4a6.jpg

1693550812_finalpicture.jpg.8ab377aec7907062f3a570c789b37472.jpg

90756.pdf

first instructions.pdf

90756.pdf

1588462947_instructionshighlighted.jpg.a3aac366221615a5598971a19d75872c.jpg

1189444805_picwithhitchabovetowhook.JPG.14cb8c3e5f69b9541c149627a1b45524.JPG

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMHO, I though the instructions were pretty good (mine were like the first one on your list). I nstalled mine below the tow hook, as it was tough enough to get the bolt & plate in there, and I couldn't imagine tryng it with the hitch above the tow hook

Now, and someone will most likely contradict me here, but the rectangular plate for the tow hook bolt has the square hole to hold the carriage bolt, so it only seems to make sense to insert the bolt through the plate, slide them in through the top of the tow hook, then have the hitch below the tow hook with the nut agaist the hitch. The picture on the instructions shows the carriage bolt going through the hitch, with the plate (and the now-pointless square hole) under the hook with the nut.

On second thought, maybe that piece of the instructions is a bit confusing!! I didn't dwell on it that much when I installed it!

Ron

rporter... you are right in the fact that the first instructions are clear to put the hitch under the tow loop. But take a close look at the first instructions (first instructions.pdf) compared to the second (90756.pdf) The side view diagram is different. The key to getting it above the tow hook is having the correct spacers, which are also different in the second instructions.

In looking at my hitch now, it would be more level if I didn't use the four spacers for a below-the-tow-hook install. But, putting it above the hook without using the four frame spacers wouldn't matter THAT much, and I'm leaving it the way it is. Another 1/2' MAX of a closer fit in the back is no BFD to me.

Besides, the hitch protects the mufflers & exhaust tips if a do another drive off a curbsone in the dark!!

Ron

• 2 months later...

Time to bring this thread back to life since my Hidden Hitch just got delivered and installed today. I got the directions that say to install it below the tow hook and the 6 spacers (4 rectangular and 2 square). I tried my best to install it above the tow hook, but could not. I tried using the spacers provided in different configurations than the plans said, but nothing worked. I felt I would bend or break something.

Which leads me to my next question/observation. Were you able to torque the 4 bolts to 72lbs? It felt WAY to tight and I didn't want to break the welded nuts out of the frame of the car. I used my big ole 1/2" torque wrench, but thought I would, again, bend or break something. I brought it down to 60lbs and was finally able to get the "click". Was this a problem/concern? I'm not too worried as the heaviest thing I tow is a 17' bowrider that weighs maybe 2,200lbs (w/ trailer) and it doesn't get towed more than 2 miles per year (putting it in the water in the Spring and taking it out in the Fall).

I don't have the instruction sheet handy, but IIRC, only the bolt through the tow hook was 72 #s, and the four under the mufflers were something like 36 #s or so. Might want to check the instructions again!!

Mine only came with four spaces tha I used for the four side bolts.

Ron

• 1 month later...
Thank you 3tones for this thread. It was very helpful this morning when I installed my Hidden Hitch on to my 2.5i Wagon. I ended up using only 2 spacers. I placed one on each side to compensate for the height of the heat shield. I was also able to get the hitch above the tow hook. I'll have pics of my install up tomorrow. :)

Include pics under the car showing the exhaust vs the hitch, ION is making me an exhaust and I need to send him pics to ensure I have no placement issues with the hitch and new exhaust.

Thanks.

3tones' picture at the top shows the area between the exhaust and the hitch pretty well. There is plenty of clearance between the muffler and the hitch. The only place the hitch gets close to are the hangers.

There was a post from clawdnb asking what we tow with this. Well, here's the answer: I towed two motorcycles to montana (about 3000 miles round trip). The car sagged a little, but otherwise there was plenty of power (both gas and brake). Here are some pics. If I end up doing it more often I am going to look into some stiffer springs to keep it more level. I got a lot of people thinking I had my high beams on.

DSCF3523.JPG.dedf12adb9e237dfcb7d31297a804596.JPG

DSCF3530.JPG.f0ffbb2a0d2595abf66890e3051a1c1f.JPG

DSCF3533.JPG.bfef39f46d30985efac78eee73331cc4.JPG

Just so everything Hidden Hitch related is in one thread, here are the pictures of my install.

I have a 2.5i wagon, so the spacing needs may be different than 3tones' sedan. The instructions state that you use all 4 spaces on an OB install. Sp clearly there are differences in the design in the Legacy line.

In the "hitch_screws" shot you can sort of see the spacer under the left bolt. I only used one spacer to level out the hitch with the heat shield. I also was able to get the hitch to sit above the tow hook...as seen in the "hitch_tie" shot.

I used jack stands with a rag wrapped around the top to hold up the mufflers instead of blocks of wood.

I didn't get a picture of the spacing between the exhaust and hitch, but 3tones' has a good picture in his post.

hitch_close.jpg.2ff2ce931f30a2209d549c625b3275ac.jpg

hitch_full.jpg.f99418a88d679cbe9b28a2c9fab79942.jpg

hitch_screws.jpg.76a6bb55420c9790a82825eb86c92acf.jpg

hitch_tie.jpg.0ffb4f65bce4b4caa8458bbc9a3f62bd.jpg

hitch_back.jpg.0ce28c104e8159f99998bda65c5b6bd8.jpg

There was a post from clawdnb asking what we tow with this. Well, here's the answer: I towed two motorcycles to montana (about 3000 miles round trip).

Semi-off-topic, but apparently doesn't MN require a trailer plate for a trailer that size? That's the size trailer that I use in MI (for a DirecWay Internet satellite dish), and we have to get plates (that cost half the price of the trailer!!)

Ron

Semi-off-topic, but apparently doesn't MN require a trailer plate for a trailer that size? That's the size trailer that I use in MI (for a DirecWay Internet satellite dish), and we have to get plates (that cost half the price of the trailer!!)

You can get permanant registration for trailers in MN. I don't know what the exact details of it are, but there is a sticker that goes on the tounge.

finally got around to wiring up the car for the trailer lights. good thing, as i have to tow a trailer 300 miles tomorrow. i found the loose plug designed for subaru's wiring harness on the driver's side just inside the rear taillight and tapped into it. looking at the plug from the open side with the clip on the bottom, this is what i used:

1 2 3

4 5 6

clip

ground - 1

left turn signal - 3

brake - 4

right turn signal - 5

tail light - 6 (i think)

better check before using what i did. if you end up blowing something up, please don't blame me. i'm just a hack with a box full of tools.

Thanks for that info!!

Definitely get back to us to confirm your wiring scheme.

I haven't dug back there yet, but is one of the pinouts a hot lead? I've got a wiringsetup with a relay and I have been putting off doing it!

Ron

• 1 month later...
finally got around to wiring up the car for the trailer lights. good thing, as i have to tow a trailer 300 miles tomorrow. i found the loose plug designed for subaru's wiring harness on the driver's side just inside the rear taillight and tapped into it. looking at the plug from the open side with the clip on the bottom, this is what i used:

1 2 3

4 5 6

clip

ground - 1

left turn signal - 3

brake - 4

right turn signal - 5

tail light - 6 (i think)

better check before using what I did. If you end up blowing something up, please don't blame me. i'm just a hack with a box full of tools.

Using your diagram as a starting point, I wired mine today. This is what I found the pinouts to be (using your diagram):

1 = Ground

2 = Tail Lights

3 = Left Turn

4 = Brake

5 = Right Turn

6 = Hot (12.5v)

What is rather interesting is that #6 is ALWAYS hot, even with the key out. I will keep this in mind when I eventually wire another power outlet back there, as I understand that the factory harness back there (the "L" shaped connector back by the taillight) is only switched power.

To connect to the factory plug, I bought a pack of crimp Pin Connectors at Radio Shack (#64-3095, pack of 10, $1.69). I had to hit each pin on the grinding wheel to create a flat "blade" to fit the opening in the factory plug.

I connected it to a Hidden Hitch relay, and I just used the hot & ground in the factory plug. I then had to notch the side tray for the wires to come through, and the relay and wires fit neatly under the snap-in carpeted panel (see attached pic). The yellow block is a fuse that is on the hot lead.

1195954027_HitchWiring49-28-2005.thumb.jpg.be58892e2adb5552ccebd4729e3e2890.jpg

Ron

• 2 months later...

Old thread, I know, but I wanted to thank 3tones and the rest of you guys for help in finding and installing this hitch. I'll be using it for a bike rack. The install took less than 45 minutes and fit perfectly.

Thanks,

ReedZ

uh...why would u want to tow something with ur LGT? last time i actually saw a SC430 towing something....that's messed up XO

Why not? You could tow a motorcycle, a rally car or a goat in a boat...Sam I am.

I use use my hitch for my bike rack.

i used to tow two motorcycles on a 4x8 trailer with my previous car, a mini cooper. too bad there aren't any pics..

the legover's makes for a much better tow vehicle. more power, larger tires and brakes and greater weight.

• 2 weeks later...
uh...why would u want to tow something with ur LGT? last time i actually saw a SC430 towing something....that's messed up XO

Saves me oodles of money being able to tow a small trailer rather than having to purchase a pickup truck to carry the same kind of stuff...

"I love the feel of wind in my face and boobies against my back." - BMW motorcycle rider

Archived