LegacyGT.com

Everything you wanted to know about a hitch install...

3tones

AFAIK the single Subaru p/n fits both. There was only a single model of my Hidden Hitch that folks have used on both sedan & wagons.

"Back in the day", Subaru did not sell the factory harness separate from the hitch, so it was cheaper for me to do the separate hitch & harness. I ended up buying the Subaru harness eventuall and replaced the aftermarket setp that I used. As I said, if I wee to do it today, I would just get the factory setup and be done with it. IMHO, while practical, the hitch looks like shyte on the car anyway. Since I now have a pickup that can do towing, I've been considering pullng my setup off & selling it.

Ron

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone know if the factory setup comes with a harness that is "plug and play" ? If it is PnP what do I need to dissemble to get at the plug for the harness ? I have read some posts that suggest it's tough to find. This question is related to installation procedures for an 07 OB wagon if that makes any difference.

Get the L1010SS030 wiring harness. It is plug-n-play on '05 LGTs, and I don't see why it should be different for an '08. Around $95 list and $68 and 1st Subaru Parts.
Ron

Thanks Ron. I believe the factory hitch kit comes with the harness. I was wondering though, where exactly the connector is stashed in my outback, that I connect the harness to. Any ideas?

So I got my hitch delivered and the installtion instructions (for an 06) say to take off the muffler's as the first step. I know that in some earlier posts in this thread there was talk of just letting the exhaust system hang a bit (supported by something) in order to get the hitch in there, but I was wondering if this is a new directon set (dated 3-15-05) that I recieved, and if anyone had any experience with doing this install on an 06 or 07? If so must I remove the mufflers to do the install? I would rather not of course. Thanks.

I finally got around to installing my Hidden Hitch 90756 (the one that can supposedly be mounted above the tow hook that is no longer available and that this thread is mostly about) on my 2006 2.5i wagon and ran into some problems:

1. If I put it under the tow hook everything is fine. But if I put it over the tow hook, with the 4 smaller bolts in place I can't get the carriage bolt through. The hole in the hitch is partially blocked by the tow hook itself. To get it to work I would have to do something like this:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47639&highlight=hidden+hitch+mod

But I don't want to do that. I could dremel the other 4 holes a little since there is more metal there. But since everybody here says this works I don't want to grind anything if I don't have to.

2. With the hitch above the tow hook, the 4 "feet" for the smaller bolts don't sit very flat on the frame rails. To make it work I would have to use a thin spacer on each of the two forward bolts (the ones that go through the heat shield). And even then it's not perfect as I'm trying to put a flat spacer into a wedge-shaped space (in other words the mounting feet on the hitch are not parallel with the frame rail), but maybe I'm being to fussy here and hitches are not an exact science. If I put spacers on the rear bolts as everybody else seems to do, then I would need a huge spacer on the forward bolts because the hitch would be tilted way up in the back.

I have the hitch installed below the hook. I would like to move it above, but I thought I'd see if anybody here can tell me something I might be doing wrong before I take a grinder to my hitch. I spent a lot of time with this yesterday and tried it every way I could think of and nothing seemed to work. Thanks for any advice you can share.

So I got my hitch delivered and the installtion instructions (for an 06) say to take off the muffler's as the first step. I know that in some earlier posts in this thread there was talk of just letting the exhaust system hang a bit (supported by something) in order to get the hitch in there, but I was wondering if this is a new directon set (dated 3-15-05) that I recieved, and if anyone had any experience with doing this install on an 06 or 07? If so must I remove the mufflers to do the install? I would rather not of course. Thanks.

I don't know what hitch you have, but I don't think it's necessary to remove the mufflers. I just let mine hang down (and I ended up not supporting them much in the end as I needed them to hang down pretty far). It is a big pain to get the hitch up above the mufflers, but I'm sure not as big a pain as removing the mufflers. See the pictures in the first post to make it easier.

• 2 weeks later...

So I got my hitch installed last weekend. A few observations for those who are interested. I have a 2007 2.5i Outback and I purchased a OEM Hitch and Wiring Harness.

1. With a new car (been through 1 winter) it was just as easy to take off the mufflers as to pull the exhaust system off the hanger hooks

2.The Whole job took me 1.5 hours

3. The tounge weight on the OEM hitch is 200 lbs (very lame!!!) Is it any better on other hitches out there?

I just picked up a class II Hidden Hitch for my 05 OBXT. Tow weight is 3500 pounds, 300 pounds tongue weight. Took like 30 minutes to do. Cost $139 + s&H from JC Whitney.

Also, it is not the round tube stock like a lot of people have, but heavier wall thickness square tube stock. I would be willing to bet the tow weight is actually much higher, and with my coilovers, I could probably support more tongue weight.

Any pics of your install? I have an 01 OB with the hidden hitch, but I'm not sure what it looks like on the newer generations. Seeing as how the OEM hitch doesn't connect up entirely (missing some brackets on the sedan,) I would be sceptical with towing the 2700 lbs the car is rated for. I might go with the hidden hitch if it's a decent fit.
When Chuck Norris was born, the only person who cried was the doctor. Never slap Chuck Norris. - E.J.S.

3. The tounge weight on the OEM hitch is 200 lbs (very lame!!!) Is it any better on other hitches out there?

If you look in your manual, the max tongue weight for the car (not the hitch) is listed as 200 lbs. So of course a hitch sold by Subaru is not going to give a max tongue weight more than that. My Hidden Hitch lists 300 lbs tongue (and 3500 trailer weight) but of course the fine print says not to exceed the ratings of the tow vehicle.

Any pics of your install? I have an 01 OB with the hidden hitch, but I'm not sure what it looks like on the newer generations. Seeing as how the OEM hitch doesn't connect up entirely (missing some brackets on the sedan,) I would be sceptical with towing the 2700 lbs the car is rated for. I might go with the hidden hitch if it's a decent fit.

Others will differ, but I wouldn't recommend the Hidden Hitch. For one thing, the current model (90138 I think) only mounts below the tow hook. The discontinued model (90756) is supposed to mount above the tow hook but I had a hard time with it. I had to enlarge the holes to make it work, and even then I'm not thrilled with the installation because the mounting pads meet the car's frame at an angle. It will be fine for my uses but I am not impressed at all.

I realize it's more expensive, but I would go with the Subaru hitch and get the brackets that are on the Outback to install the hitch properly. If you want to tow (as opposed to just mount a bike rack or something) I guess you'll also need a drawbar with more rise. But I think the cleaner look that you get with the hitch mounted higher is worth it, and I suspect that there is less chance of fit issues since the tow hook is not involved with the Subaru hitch (as I understand it).

Others will differ, but I wouldn't recommend the Hidden Hitch. For one thing, the current model (90138 I think) only mounts below the tow hook. The discontinued model (90756) is supposed to mount above the tow hook but I had a hard time with it. I had to enlarge the holes to make it work, and even then I'm not thrilled with the installation because the mounting pads meet the car's frame at an angle. It will be fine for my uses but I am not impressed at all.

Hmmmm, that's strange. I wonder why yours fit different than mine.

• 2 weeks later...
Can you just buy the OEM subaru harness and plug-and-play?

Anyone more satisfied with something besides hidden? I think I'll be ordering soon.

Thanks.

I got the Subaru OEM harness, and guess what? I don't have the trailer plug that's supposed to be there. Everybody else seems to have it. I took the whole trunk apart: NOTHING. Finally went to the dealer, he did the same thing: NO PLUG.

Anybody have the pinouts for the taillights? It's not in the shop manual, or if it is I can't find it.

Cheers.

I got the Subaru OEM harness, and guess what? I don't have the trailer plug that's supposed to be there. Everybody else seems to have it. I took the whole trunk apart: NOTHING. Finally went to the dealer, he did the same thing: NO PLUG.

Anybody have the pinouts for the taillights? It's not in the shop manual, or if it is I can't find it.

Cheers.

I find that a little hard to believe. If you go to this thread:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9097&highlight=trailer+hitch

It shows the spot in the left rear that has the trailer plug, as well as the power outlet plug in the wagon. Mine was tucked up into the wiring harness and hidden, but it was there. Other Canadian cars have had it, and even the RH drive cars have it on he "wrong" side. The plugs are taped up and tucked in there pretty well.

Ron

This is not news. This is not the only trailer hitch thread either. In fact there are pictures of the Subaru factory hitch on a sedan (mine). No one has posted a wiring diagram of the sedan, to my knowledge, but it may be in the vacation pics. Someone did post what he felt were the correct pin outs for the factory harness, but I could not confirm they were correct, as I tried to splice in the factory trailer harness (which is for the wagon) to the wires to my left taillight, but could not get it to work. In any case you need to splice into the stock wiring to hood up a trailer connector I paid a Uhaul mechanic $50 to wire in a 4-pin connector that works perfectly, and even flashes its little green lights when you hit the remote to lock or unlock the doors.

Useful hints: You do not have to unbolt any part of the exhaust, just remove the rear rubber hangers and left the mufflers droop, there is plenty of room to install the hitch. It does not hang "too low", and if you are going to bottom out on anything, it is just slightly lower than the mufflers and you will spare them damage. I don't why there is all this concern with a lowered car, as there is six inches of ground clearance stock, leaving at least 4 1/2 inches for a slammed car, which of course wouldn't look too cool with a trailer hitch in some circles.

Anyways just my two cents, from someone who has a Subaru factory hitch and uses it frequently. Perhaps the title of this thread should read "everything you wanted to know about a hitch install . . . except for what is in the other threads"

In one of these hitch threads, I had posted the pinouts for the trailer plug in the fender. Back them, Subaru did not sell the harness apart from the hitch, so I had to make my own and I didn't want to mess up the factory plug. Those pinouts are correct.

I later bought the factory harness online and used it rather than the aftermarket setup and relay. FWIW, that is probably one of the key things to do if U-Haul or anyone wires in a plug....use a relay. One of the pinouts in the factory plug is always hot, which can be useful for a few things.

Ron

This is not news. This is not the only trailer hitch thread either. In fact there are pictures of the Subaru factory hitch on a sedan (mine). No one has posted a wiring diagram of the sedan, to my knowledge, but it may be in the vacation pics.

Yep, it's not in the vacation pics. I have those. They show the trailer plug to be on the passenger side, connector R-79. That doesn't jive with what everybody says where they found theirs.

Someone did post what he felt were the correct pin outs for the factory harness, but I could not confirm they were correct, as I tried to splice in the factory trailer harness (which is for the wagon) to the wires to my left taillight, but could not get it to work. In any case you need to splice into the stock wiring to hood up a trailer connector I paid a Uhaul mechanic $50 to wire in a 4-pin connector that works perfectly, and even flashes its little green lights when you hit the remote to lock or unlock the doors.

I wish I had the factory connector, the dealer has the factory plug and play kit, it sure would be nice.

Useful hints: You do not have to unbolt any part of the exhaust, just remove the rear rubber hangers and left the mufflers droop, there is plenty of room to install the hitch. It does not hang "too low", and if you are going to bottom out on anything, it is just slightly lower than the mufflers and you will spare them damage. I don't why there is all this concern with a lowered car, as there is six inches of ground clearance stock, leaving at least 4 1/2 inches for a slammed car, which of course wouldn't look too cool with a trailer hitch in some circles.

Anyways just my two cents, from someone who has a Subaru factory hitch and uses it frequently. Perhaps the title of this thread should read "everything you wanted to know about a hitch install . . . except for what is in the other threads"

Installing the factory hitch was a cake walk. I didn't even need to unhook the mufflers (aftermarket magnaflows which are smaller than stock).

Everything bolted in, I did it alone, perfect fit (over the tow hook, with plate bolted in from underneath), no farting around. 40 minutes (and I don't do this for a living). ;)

I find that a little hard to believe. If you go to this thread:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9097&highlight=trailer+hitch

It shows the spot in the left rear that has the trailer plug, as well as the power outlet plug in the wagon. Mine was tucked up into the wiring harness and hidden, but it was there. Other Canadian cars have had it, and even the RH drive cars have it on he "wrong" side. The plugs are taped up and tucked in there pretty well.

Yeah, I was all over those threads, believe me.

I took out every panel in the trunk (it's a sedan). The only difference is that on the driver's side, the wires coming in from the back seats split off to an aluminum box up in the quarterpanel. I thought this was an airbag sensor, but the passenger's side doesn't have this.

Not feeling the love.

:spin:

Everything bolted in, I did it alone, perfect fit (over the tow hook, with plate bolted in from underneath), no farting around. 40 minutes (and I don't do this for a living). ;)

Pics of your install, please! I need to see what the OEM hitch looks like on a sedan, and how concealed it is... :)

When Chuck Norris was born, the only person who cried was the doctor. Never slap Chuck Norris. - E.J.S.

Pics of your install, please! I need to see what the OEM hitch looks like on a sedan, and how concealed it is... :)

Sure thing, but hold on until tomorrow (kinda dark at the moment).

Here ya go. Sorry it's dirty, live in the country. That yellow dust you see all over the car is pollen, couldn't even SEE through the windows this morning.

Will grab better shots in daylight. (The towel is there because the license plate was screwing with the flash).

IMG_1059-small.thumb.jpg.8842d8d58b9cff097440cd2696db36e6.jpg

Sedan does not have the connectors like the wagon does.

Alright, so I'm not nuts.

Guess I'm gonna take out the ohmmeter and test the leads for a hack wiring job.

*sigh*

(Why did someone at Subaru actively decide sedans wouldn't need a connector? The design is the same (or almost) for the Wagon! Why not use the same freaking wiring? Cost my ass! What, a whole 20 bucks on a 35K (CDN) car? Stupid, stupid design choice. Really. *shakes head*)

Archived