LegacyGT.com

Headlights repeatedly burning out? Post here!

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
I just replaced both headlights again. Seems to be a yearly thing for me. Both times they have burned out within 2 weeks of eachother.. lol So this is like the 5th or 6th thing I have had to fix now on my car. I think I have paid probably about $4000 now for repairs on my car.

Hang on.. you're saying that the fan relay recall is related to the bulb problem? Hmmmmm.. I haven't had one blow on me since I had the fan relay done.. I think...

I have but had replaced the bulb a few months before i had the relay work done.. so now i have two fairly fresh post fan relay recall silverstars in there so while it doesnt make sense to me i'm crossing my fingers.

Whats really sad is i just realized because i havent gone out o my way to have them replaced at the dealer i could have had a HID kit by now in bulb replacement costs. :spin::spin::spin:

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Hello, everyone.

I work at a Subie dealership.....here goes, in 05 Legacies they had orange backings on the headlight bulbs, they blew very frequently, subaru covered them under warranty(3 yr/36k mi.), but replaced them with "long-life" blue backing bulbs, which we haven't had any return yet with the blue backs, although many people are showing up with aftermarket bulbs that blow more frequently like the orange backs. If you are still in 3/36 go to subaru, and if you have an orange back, they should change both to blue backs which will last alot longer.

Up until a few days ago, I still had the original factory installed "orange back" bulbs (Philips H7, made in Germany)in my '05, with fully functioning DRL, but I am only at 17,500 miles. I just upgraded to the Osram Hyper and Toshiba HIR1.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Im trying a different theory. My '05 has gone thru 8 low beams. The latest one replaced today. The driver side bulb was replaced a few months ago and is still good. Thinking vibration could be a issue I "tweaked" the hold down spring to be very snug ( I seemed so so before) Its still working so the jury is still out.

Today with the drivers side bulb I went to step #2 of my anti- vibration plan and installed a shock absorber system! Before installing the bulb I put a bead of silicon caulk on the mating surface where the bulb fits in to the reflector.

If a poor design for vibration is the issue between the extra snug hold down spring and the silicone it should be much better.

BTW having gotten sick of blowing SilverStars at $20 each this time I went with Philips Vision Plus bulbs at $10 each. Ill let you know if this helps.

I hope it works. Digging the bulb out, "glued" in with silicon caulk won't be fun.

Its not glued in. What I did was lay a bead of silicone on the flange of the bulb on the reflector side. I let this dry and then installed the bulb. Should be no harder to remove and having done this job eight times Im getting pretty good at it.
;)

Since this only (seems to) affect '05's, anybody think Subaru upgraded the voltage regulators in later models - anybody try replacing the voltage regulator?

Good point. If it only seems to affect '05's and the '06-'08 use the same H7 bulb and housing what is the cause? Is there any design change in the : bulb, housing , electricial system or what ever to account for this excessive blown bulbs blowing out? On top of this many '05 owners say they have no problems so its only SOME '05's with this problem.
:confused:
BTW as to the relay connection mine was found to be OK and I have the bulb thing.

Anyone with tech info about any design differences by Subaru after '05 to account for bulbs being a non issue after '05?

^ Sadly, I don't think that there's a brand that'll last too, too long in our cars. The H7, according to many experts, including Stern, is one that's rather fragile and short-lived, and its pairing with a variable DRL system isn't one that's made in heaven.
:(

And I think that although that pairing contributes significantly to our problems, based on the number of vehicles that seems to be affected, even in our small and rather select on-line community, with this problem, more than likely, we've also got some kind of electrical-related issue that's more symptomatic on certain cars versus others, based on probably something as uncontrollable as production-line variances.

franklin
, I know you've had this problem for quite a while now - I can't remember, but have you tried to run without the DRL, to see if that helps things?

Alternatively (and to perhaps even be paired with the elimination of the DRL), and my own knowledge is lacking in this area, have you tried any bulbs that are rated for a longer run-time than our factory replacements?

Those are really the only two solutions I can think of that's realistic and easily do-able, outside of switching to HID.

A) No I have not tried disabling the DRL. I may try this down the road . Others stated they did this and it may have helped some said it made no difference. Many cars have DRL and dont have this issue.

B) As for long life bulbs. I had been using Silver Stars thinking they are "good" bulbs but as others stated if im gonna blow em right and left why by them. This last time I bought Philips Vision Plus. They were 2 for $20 vrs 2 for $35.

At this point Im trying to change only 1 vairiable at a time to pin down cause and effect.

Hopefully some one with design insight will enlighten us with a Subaru design change that was done. I think thats the key.

What's a replacement alternator cost? Probably $100 for the part.

If, it is the voltage regulator and, this is integrated into the alternator - most are nowadays. I'm at the point where I'll get a payback on $100 in 2.5 years - assuming I can replace the thing myself.

Osram and Narva manufacture long life bulbs.

e.g.

http://store.candlepower.com/nalolih755wb.html

Probably worth a try, these internet prices are not much higher than local retail at $20 / bulb. Yeah S&H will add a few.

Anyone have a thought on using the 65 W bulb powered by Subaru's 55 W power? Seems like that bulb can handle power spikes better if, this is what the underlying issue is. For those of you in manufacturing environments, the ol' 6 sigma approach. But, probably loose some brightness / lumens running them underpowered.

I have went through 5 headlights in the last year. they blow like crazy. The dealer says they wont cover it. I have an 05 legacy!

Join the club.
:mad:
The question is why dont the '06 ,'07 and 08's do this ??? How are they different?

i have an 05 lgt replaced bulbs once with slyvania silver stars only one bulb burned out also replace fog with same type bulbs. have 49000 miles and drl disabled

History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid

People sleep peacefully at night cause rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf

Archived