LegacyGT.com

Just bought Conti ExtremeContact DWS!!

08LGT80

I just got these installed today on my '05 LGT (225/45/17), and while the ride feels nice, it sounds like I'm accelerating for take-off in a Cessna. Even at 30mph, they sound loud, but even worse at highway speeds. My ear is drawn to the right side, and mostly in the front, but admittedly my hearing isn't the greatest. I'm going to get it checked to see if they messed up the balance. By the way, supposedly the shop did do an alignment and balance.

Anyone else had any problems like this with road noise? Pretty much everything I've read tells of a decently quiet ride. Anyone have any idea(s) as to what could cause this in the meantime? Again, it sounds like a small plane engine. My old tires were crap and really on their last legs when I got them replaced... not even then was the noise nearly as bad, even with cheap dealer-installed Fuzions with 55k miles...

Many thanks in advance.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just got these installed today on my '05 LGT (225/45/17), and while the ride feels nice, it sounds like I'm accelerating for take-off in a Cessna. Even at 30mph, they sound loud, but even worse at highway speeds. My ear is drawn to the right side, and mostly in the front, but admittedly my hearing isn't the greatest. I'm going to get it checked to see if they messed up the balance. By the way, supposedly the shop did do an alignment and balance.

Anyone else had any problems like this with road noise? Pretty much everything I've read tells of a decently quiet ride. Anyone have any idea(s) as to what could cause this in the meantime? Again, it sounds like a small plane engine. My old tires were crap and really on their last legs when I got them replaced... not even then was the noise nearly as bad, even with cheap dealer-installed Fuzions with 55k miles...

Many thanks in advance.

Something is definitely not right...especially since you can localize where the noise is coming from.

Get it checked out.

Many thanks in advance.

hmmmm... strange. My DWSs are very quiet, much more so than the RE960AS that they replaced.

Looking to place these on '06 spec.B wheels in a 225/40/18 setup for an '05 LGT. Ummm... yeah, that's all. :lol: Just sharing in this wonderful thread. :p

Only thing I would say is that having these shipped from DiscountTireDirect.com is saving me about $100+ by having no sales tax and lower prices then buying at Discount or Tire Rack. :iam:

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

Looking to place these on '06 spec.B wheels in a 225/40/18 setup for an '05 LGT. Ummm... yeah, that's all. :lol: Just sharing in this wonderful thread. :p

Only thing I would say is that having these shipped from DiscountTireDirect.com is saving me about $100+ by having no sales tax and lower prices then buying at Discount or Tire Rack. :iam:

They're actually the same price. Tire Rack doesn't charge shipping. I've cross shopped DTD and TR numerous times. Both sites are good, it usually comes down to who has the tires I need in stock.

Maybe I will post here as well, so I am deciding between Pirelli PZero Nero all season and DWS, has anyone here used both before? I think both are fine for the other three seasons, I am more concerned about Pirelli's winter performance.

Many thanks in advance.

The more I listen to the sound, the more I think it's not even related to the tires, and moreso to the wheel bearing, perhaps only on one tire (sounds like the front passenger side). I've heard that Legacys can have trouble with those. Sound logical?

I concur!

I have heard of balancing issues with the DWS' but that was really early in their release...

Our wheel bearings do go and sometimes new tires and alignment can make it more noticeable...

Thank you for your feedback, FocuS. The more I think about it, I believe there was evidence of a similar noise before I switched my tires. My old tires were in awful condition, so I figured the increase in sound was directly linked to the deterioration of the tires. I'll get it checked out.

Just completed a 160 mile tripto the mtns to go boarding, good snow on the mtns but roads were totally dry so I still can't comment on their snow ability. They are really quite tires I must say and the dry handling at speed is impressive vs the old stockers. No complaints at all just wish we could get some snow to try them out on the slippery stuff.

A quick visit to a shop will tell you what is up instead of trying to keep guessing. :)

Lol, right you are. Unfortunately for me, this particular shop already closed for the holidays and won't be open until the beginning of next week. My schedule is crazy with the holiday, so I haven't been able to get to a shop yet. In due time, my friend. In due time... :-P

Maybe I will post here as well, so I am deciding between Pirelli PZero Nero all season and DWS, has anyone here used both before? I think both are fine for the other three seasons, I am more concerned about Pirelli's winter performance.

please allow me to answer my own question:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=102&

Got my car back from the shop today with the tires. So far I havent really done any hard driving or drove in slippery condition so I cant comment on their performance but there pretty quiet!

Give them about 100 miles to pass judgement. The greasy stuff from the mold will take time to wear off.

I put my snows on a couple weeks ago and I really miss how good the DWS is in the rain.

Lol, right you are. Unfortunately for me, this particular shop already closed for the holidays and won't be open until the beginning of next week. My schedule is crazy with the holiday, so I haven't been able to get to a shop yet. In due time, my friend. In due time... :-P
:lol: Good deal, I was just trying to end your "constant speculation dilemma" early. We all go through it.

I just went through it myself as you can see in the "How many miles thread". All the advice/ideas/guesses/guarantees I had from asking questions on here and at shops yielded this: nothing. Nada. Zip. Sometimes it pays just to take it in and find out. :lol: Not being rude to those that tried to help but sometimes until you get the car under the knife you just don't know. :)

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

:lol: Good deal, I was just trying to end your "constant speculation dilemma" early. We all go through it.

I just went through it myself as you can see in the "How many miles thread". All the advice/ideas/guesses/guarantees I had from asking questions on here and at shops yielded this: nothing. Nada. Zip. Sometimes it pays just to take it in and find out. :lol: Not being rude to those that tried to help but sometimes until you get the car under the knife you just don't know. :)

Haha, I appreciate it. I can't help it... my speculation is almost ritualistic in nature.

I had someone ride in the backseat today on the passenger's side and it's definitely the rear tire on that side. So either it's a balance problem or a wheel bearing. I'll get a definite answer on Monday.

Cheers!

For the greater good of the forum, I just risked life and limb to venture out into the blizzard (troof!) to test out the Contis.

I'm very happy with them. They were very good on hard packed snow. They did decently well in about 5 inches of unplowed snow.

Summary: Don't drive like an asshat and these tires should get you home safely.

Curious to see if anyone here has these on spec.B rims in a 225/40/18 setup. I'd like to stay close to stock diameter on my '05 and I just bought '06 spec.B rims. Trying to see what the 225/40/18 looks like with this particular tire. I'd like to bump up to the 225 size as long as it doesn't look mismatched. Thanks! :D

For the greater good of the forum, I just risked life and limb to venture out into the blizzard (troof!) to test out the Contis.

I'm very happy with them. They were very good on hard packed snow. They did decently well in about 5 inches of unplowed snow.

Summary: Don't drive like an asshat and these tires should get you home safely.

This is exactly the kind of review I was hoping for! I can't wait to get a set of these on the 17s...I think I'll be going with a more Summer tire for the 19s since they will likely never see snow!

Update on tires.

10k old DWS work in the snow/winter conditions but no up to par with the previous Nokian WR G2's that were even worn with 40k+ year round miles.

Unemployed at time & $200+ pricing savings led me to DWS. You get what you pay for at least in winter capability.

Archived