LegacyGT.com

Just bought Conti ExtremeContact DWS!!

08LGT80

You are complaining that an A/S tire can't handle 4 inches of snow at 55mph?! I think the problem is your driving and not the tires.

Anyways, if the road has any snow on it, same thing. Today the roads were plowed but I still sliding everywhere. I know it's not a winter but with a snow flake badge, you think it would be better then a a/s tire, not worse.

These tires are crap in snow plain and simple. If you see snow one day a year then yes, try them out but stay at home that one day a year.

Anyways that my opinion and I guess I am not allowed to have one here so have fun buying these tires people.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just drive slow into corners and brake well ahead and you should be fine. I mean with 4 inches of snow and coming down from 80km/h(55mph) I would miss my turn when I started braking 450 meters away.

Yeah I wouldn't consider them a All weather tire at all in any way shape or form. Worse tire ever in winter.

Wow...welcome to common sense.

No amount of rubber is going to stop a 3000 lb car in 4 inches of snow from 55 mph very quickly...this has nothing to do with the tire.

You also lose credibility when you claim a high performance summer tire outperforms the DWS in snow traction.

From Tirerack:

We do not suggest Exclaim UHP tires be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

You are entitled to an opinion but posting it on a forum is subject to review by the community. :cool:

You completely lost all credibility with your whining about the tires performance while driving 55mph in 4 inches of snow.

Um ok.

Wow...welcome to common sense.

No amount of rubber is going to stop a 3000 lb car in 4 inches of snow from 55 mph very quickly...this has nothing to do with the tire.

You also lose credibility when you claim a high performance summer tire outperforms the DWS in snow traction.

From Tirerack:

You are entitled to an opinion but posting it on a forum is subject to review by the community. :cool:

My last set of tires stopped the car no problem in snow so um yeah you seem to be talking out your rear now. The tires are crap in my experiences in snow conditions.

Also, I never said to stop on a dime in 4 inches of snow when on a highway doing highway speeds either and again, in my experiences I had better performance with a exclaim UHP in the snow then I did with the DWS but then I am wrong according to all of you which is fine.

I said my opinion, take it or leave it for what it's worth.

Here is a video I made too. You can see there might be an inch or two of snow. You will see I miss a street. I could have slowed down more but I am not ready that the car would not be able to brake in 450 meters.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PsqEILAYeM]YouTube - Driving in snow with DWS[/ame]

+1. That video is total fail.

You were doing 80 on that road and then down to 60 and slam on brakes to immediately activate the ABS. Have you driven a car with ABS before? You do realize that the purpose of ABS is to help you maintain steering control and it isn't meant to help you stop quicker? The goal is to slow down without activating ABS. If you activate ABS you are stopping too quickly for the driving conditions.

WTF:confused:

Do us all a favor and put the Exclaim's back on tonight and do the same video. :rolleyes:

Based upon what you said, your driving is crap.

Go troll somewhere else.

:lol:

Not trolling but doesn't seem people can handle a different opinion around here. See how morons like u are attacking me yet I still try to explain stuff so maybe you can see how bad these tires are so you don't slide through a light and get smoked by a truck and have your first born die?

You were doing 80 on that road and then down to 60 and slam on brakes to immediately activate the ABS. Have you driven a car with ABS before? You do realize that the purpose of ABS is to help you maintain steering control and it isn't meant to help you stop quicker? The goal is to slow down without activating ABS. If you activate ABS you are stopping too quickly for the driving conditions.

WTF:confused:

Do us all a favor and put the Exclaim's back on tonight and do the same video. :rolleyes:

Well yes I was doing 80 and then I started to slow down gradually. Then there was a little uphill section so I tapped the gas a little and then I started to brake again once ontop of the hill.

There was no slamming of the brakes and yes I have had abs before know how it works too but as soon as I hit the brakes they came on so that should show you how bad the tires are. Also I am in kph not mph.

I'm picking up my LGT tomorrow from the dealership (finally!) and the first thing I'll do is replace tires.. other than oil change and a few other preventive maintenance things.. anyways I was thinking about the BGGoodrich G-Spot.. Sport.. whatever it's called.. I had them before on my '02 Sentra Spec V.. but after reading this post, I'll shell out the extra 10 bucks a tire for DWS.. Plus when I had my Sentra I lived in Orlando.. so no snow there.. now I live in Louisville, which gets snow, but I don't think it's enough to require a dedicated snow tire

Not trolling but doesn't seem people can handle a different opinion around here. See how morons like u are attacking me yet I still try to explain stuff so maybe you can see how bad these tires are so you don't slide through a light and get smoked by a truck and have your first born die?

Pot calling the kettle black huh?

I may be a moron but I'm not dumb enough to drive 55mph on snow on any tires. So please don't worry about my safety.

I may be a moron but I'm not dumb enough to drive 55mph on snow on any tires. So please don't worry about my safety.

I see people do that all the time.. they usually end up in the median of a highway.. or banged up after spinning out and crashing into a jersey barrier

You are driving to fast for the particular conditions, your vehicle and capabilities.

2" of snow is meaningless, the consistency of what is on the road (eg frozen glazed snow, poweder, ice, or mix between, slush) is what matters.

You cannot compare tire X vs Y really well on winter stuff unless the vehicles are back to back. There are way too many variables.

I do own the DWS but no real winter experience on them. They have very tough act to follow, Nokian WR G2's. I shall find out soon if $250 price difference(WR G2 vs DWS) was worth it.

You are driving to fast for the particular conditions, your vehicle and capabilities.

2" of snow is meaningless, the consistency of what is on the road (eg frozen glazed snow, poweder, ice, or mix between, slush) is what matters.

You cannot compare tire X vs Y really well on winter stuff unless the vehicles are back to back. There are way too many variables.

Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner.

Pinter,

in that video, you were driving WAY to fast and all of my concerns are not quenched. When the temp is close to 32F or 0C you NEED to slow down. If there is any white stuff anywhere near/on the road you NEED to slow down.

Just for constructive criticism, you needed to start slowing down bassicaly when you started the video. 80kmph for almost the entier video and then slowing down to 60kmph shortly before the turn is aksing for trouble when the white stuff is around.

Each time the white stuff comes down, it is likely to be drastically different. Take it from me growing up in the Pacific North West. Each time it snows it is different. Most of the time it just freezes, but it can be very different. Could just be power and then melts, could be snow and ice mix, we see it all and each time it takes different driving styles.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

I know it's not a winter but with a snow flake badge, you think it would be better then a a/s tire, not worse.

There is no snowflake badge on the DWS. You might be thinking of the Nokian WR which is the ONLY AS tire to have one.

The issues are with your expectations, driving, and knowlege NOT the tires.

Well yes I was doing 80 and then I started to slow down gradually. Then there was a little uphill section so I tapped the gas a little and then I started to brake again once ontop of the hill.

There was no slamming of the brakes and yes I have had abs before know how it works too but as soon as I hit the brakes they came on so that should show you how bad the tires are. Also I am in kph not mph.

I could care less about your opinion. What I do care about is your unreasonable expectations on what an AS tire can do and your dangerous driving habits. It could be the DWS is not good in the snow, but you are basing your opinion on testing it waaay beyond what is resonable for a SNOW tire let alone an AS tire. This is evidenced by you thinking the DWS tire bears the mountain/snow badge which it does NOT.

For those using 225 size...have you noticed any difference in performance at all? Does the car feel the same as with 215 size on

I'm running 225/45's and the car seems to feel ever so slightly geared longer. The revs would climb just a little more quickly but everything else that changed made the size increase more than worth it. Much better ride, looks way better, and the longer gear is nice on highway drives. Cruise RPM at 65+ is a bit more tolerable.

For those using 225 size...have you noticed any difference in performance at all? Does the car feel the same as with 215 size on

I think the bumps are a bit more muted now and it fills the wheel well out a bit better.

I am happy I changed to 225. Haven't had a chance to drive on dry pavement so I can't comment much on other aspects.

I don't know why there would be any feeling of gearing being changed. With the same 45 aspect ratio, the circumferance of the tire should be the same (or very close).

I will likely go with the 225s next time around. My 215s were made in Brazil, but the 225s being mounted on an Audi in the next bay were made in Germany. I'm thinking those made in Germany where the parent company is located would have better quality control and be first to get any upgrades or changes.

Archived