LegacyGT.com

Just bought Conti ExtremeContact DWS!!

08LGT80

Thats what I have been thinking....I just want to ensure that my Summer tires are A+++ in the rain since I do live in the PNW...

Any suggestions...?

I've been leaning toward the Hankook Ventus V12s for price sake and good reviews...?

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
I like these tires a lot, even at 40psi the ride is much better than the OEM Bridgestones. No doubt some dry performance is sacrificed for vastly better

rain and snow performance. The only downside I have found is these tires have

cost me about 1 1/2mpg on average.

I'm getting 24-25mpg with the DWS on the Spec B, I could only get 22-24 out of the other tires on my 05GT for the past 6 years.

In a month I'll put the OEMs RE050A's back on and run them for the summer. I'll try and update about mpg then.

I like the DWS's as a DD tire. I have put just over 1000 miles on them since I bought the car with them on it. I don't find them to noisy. I belive they have about 4000 miles on them.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I have about ~15,000 miles of the DWS now. Road noise has increased to the levels close to the OEM Bridgestone Potenza RE92s! I've gone through 2 winters now and love the grip on the snow/slush/wet! I'm running the tires ~40psi. Dry traction is good and stable, however, I will be getting 19" Advan RS or Advan RGII with summer ultra high performance tires and keeping the DWS on stock rims for winter.

• 4 weeks later...

Allright, so I've had the DWS's for 15 months now, have put only 6,000 miles on them and, quite honestly, haven't been too impressed with the performance in the snow. I have some questions, though, that maybe someone can answer. Some backround info first, when I had the stock RE92's on, I never really remember having too many issues in the snow. I then moved up to 18" wheels and got some Nitto Neo gens on them and they were terrible in the winter. I don't think I would ever get stuck with them, but they definitely slid around a lot. We've had some snowy winters these last couple years here in KC, so, after getting sick of sliding around in the Nittos I decided to get the DWS in January 2010. I've had plenty of chances to test them since and I don't notice much difference between them and the Nittos. Again, I don't feel like I'd ever get stuck, but I definitely feel like I could spin off the road at any time! To be honest, it was pretty embarrasing testing my wife's mini van against my all wheel drive Subaru in the snow in our neighborhood and having the van run circles around me! We have a down hill to a left hand turn up a hill that the mini van would not break loose on at all. The Subaru would just about slide into the curb every time if I tried to push it at all. Just to add another piece to the puzzle, before the first winter with the Nittos I also went stage I with the AP. Now the questions - 1. Will going to an 18" wheel really make that big of a difference? and 2. Does the Accesport turn off some kind of traction control?? It's really been that noticeable that I finally have to ask.

Also, in regards to the soft sidewall, I curbed one the other day pulling very slowly into a parking stall (not very happy about that!) and it put a 3" cut in the sidewall about 1/8" deep. Not sure if it's just cosmetic, but it is out of the road hazard warranty. Conti is going to replace it at 50% of cost.

Allright, so I've had the DWS's for 15 months now, have put only 6,000 miles on them and, quite honestly, haven't been too impressed with the performance in the snow. I have some questions, though, that maybe someone can answer. Some backround info first, when I had the stock RE92's on, I never really remember having too many issues in the snow. I then moved up to 18" wheels and got some Nitto Neo gens on them and they were terrible in the winter. I don't think I would ever get stuck with them, but they definitely slid around a lot. We've had some snowy winters these last couple years here in KC, so, after getting sick of sliding around in the Nittos I decided to get the DWS in January 2010. I've had plenty of chances to test them since and I don't notice much difference between them and the Nittos. Again, I don't feel like I'd ever get stuck, but I definitely feel like I could spin off the road at any time! To be honest, it was pretty embarrasing testing my wife's mini van against my all wheel drive Subaru in the snow in our neighborhood and having the van run circles around me! We have a down hill to a left hand turn up a hill that the mini van would not break loose on at all. The Subaru would just about slide into the curb every time if I tried to push it at all. Just to add another piece to the puzzle, before the first winter with the Nittos I also went stage I with the AP. Now the questions - 1. Will going to an 18" wheel really make that big of a difference? and 2. Does the Accesport turn off some kind of traction control?? It's really been that noticeable that I finally have to ask.

Also, in regards to the soft sidewall, I curbed one the other day pulling very slowly into a parking stall (not very happy about that!) and it put a 3" cut in the sidewall about 1/8" deep. Not sure if it's just cosmetic, but it is out of the road hazard warranty. Conti is going to replace it at 50% of cost.

Few observations: The van is heavier and riding on skinnier tires. You have 18" ALL SEASON tires which is not the best for snow traction.

Simple answer: Buy snow tires. The DWS is an Ultra Performance ALL SEASON tire. I don't know why people are thinking these tires are a substitute for snow tires because they aren't. They are good in the snow COMPARED TO OTHER ULTRA PERFORMANCE ALL SEAONS TIRES not when compared to snow tires or even some regular all seasons.

Every tire is a compromise. What the DWS gives up in snow traction, it makes up for in dry season performance and tread wear. In hindsight I probably should have gotten some dedicated snows instead of the DWS. But since we don't drive the car that much and don't ever HAVE to go anywhere when it is snowy, I opted to go the AS route and save a lot of money and hassle. If I drove the car a lot more and needed to drive to get to work I would definitely have gotten snow tires instead of the DWS. What few times the wife and I driven the car in snow, it performed well with the DWSs and never felt out of control. Of course, we actually know how to drive in snow, unlike some certain other members that have posted videos that demonstrate that they dont. ;)

^^^

I guess I had no idea what going to 18's would do. Except for the last two years where we have had "top five ever" winters in terms of the amount of snow we get (40-50" each year), we normally only see 10-15" a year. That said, I can't justify snow tires. I just wish I would have held on to the factory 17's for the winters. Lesson learned, I guess.

Knowing what I know now, I can't say I'd buy them again. They are definitely quieter than the Nittos, I haven't had any issues in wet conditions, but knowing that I am going to slide around no matter what in 18's in the snow, I'll probably go with something with a stiffer sidewall.

• 6 months later...
just replaced the DWS's with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus! here is my analysis compared with the Conti DWS's.. better steering response and handling, louder firmer sidewall, good wet traction like the DWS but better handling. I'll see how the Michelin pilot sport as plus handles in the snow and come back to write a update!

• 1 month later...

First post!

I am a proud new owner of an '09 3.0R :wub: and the stock tires are about shot and I am strongly considering the DWS's. But I have heard that the 3.0R's can fit up to a 245/40/18 on the stock rims with no problems.

Has anyone done this? I'd love to see pics!

Thanks in advance!

First post!

I am a proud new owner of an '09 3.0R :wub: and the stock tires are about shot and I am strongly considering the DWS's. But I have heard that the 3.0R's can fit up to a 245/40/18 on the stock rims with no problems.

Has anyone done this? I'd love to see pics!

Thanks in advance!

The minimum recommended rim width for 245/40/18 is 8". Your stock wheels are only 7" wide if I'm not mistaken. If so, just stick with the stock size of 215/45/18.

• 1 year later...
just replaced the DWS's with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus! here is my analysis compared with the Conti DWS's.. better steering response and handling, louder firmer sidewall, good wet traction like the DWS but better handling. I'll see how the Michelin pilot sport as plus handles in the snow and come back to write a update!

How many miles did you get out of the DWS tires?

I wonder if the 2013 model is exactly the same.

Just installed today... had an emergency come up and only two choices in stock.

• 2 weeks later...
I concur. The only all-seasons tires I have found that retain winter traction past 20k and even at 40k+ are Nokian WR G2's. 40k WR G2's are better than 10k DWS by a noticeable margin.

DWS did decently on a messy mix on the road last nite. The loser in a Hummer and Jeep Cherokee who passed me going 55mph) lost it ahead.

....we have the advantage of having two Subie wagons...one equipped with WRG2'S and the other with DWS's.... our experience mirrors Raj's....though could add that the WRG2 could almost be used as a true all weather tire ( the snow performance is very very good as is the wet performance )....the DWS is a quieter smoother tire better suited for highway driving ( great in almost everything , especially wet conditions, and quite ok in snow...in conditions where it doesn't work well I shouldn't be driving no matter what the tires are, if you know what I'm saying...at that point bring out the Nokian Hakkapeliitta which are just amazing winter tires...and quietish...and wear well... )...and btw getting great wear from both...

....and btw I believe that in Quebec the WRG2 is considered a winter tire under their winter driving rules ( for what its worth )...

...neither tire is perfect but if I had to choose only one tire to survive as many differing driving conditions as possible I would choose the WRG2 in a heartbeat....but for what I use it for (long distance highway trips ) the DWS is a great tire and do not regret buying it...

....hope this helps...

Cheers

• 2 months later...

....update from The Great White North...

...replaced the DWS's with a set of Nokian WR G3's....was hoping to get a bit more of the winter performance that I had experienced with the WR G2'S on our other Sube ( and it was time for the DWS's as they had worn past the S.... though they still performed very well in non-winter conditions...and btw plan on putting them back on next spring...they are in my opinion, a very nice all-rounder and had winter capabilities up to about 50,000km... )...

...so, after two mad weeks of driving thru significant cold, two major snowstorms, a fair bit of wintery mix, rain and dry conditions can say with some confidence that the WR G3 is a pretty amazing winter performance tire ( and it also does the performance thing quite well ) ....and here is the kicker, they are super quiet ( quieter than the DWS's which are not winter rated like the Nokian's are...which seems like quite a feat considering... )...

...highly recommended...

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...
Few observations: The van is heavier and riding on skinnier tires. You have 18" ALL SEASON tires which is not the best for snow traction.

Simple answer: Buy snow tires. The DWS is an Ultra Performance ALL SEASON tire. I don't know why people are thinking these tires are a substitute for snow tires because they aren't. They are good in the snow COMPARED TO OTHER ULTRA PERFORMANCE ALL SEAONS TIRES not when compared to snow tires or even some regular all seasons.

Every tire is a compromise. What the DWS gives up in snow traction, it makes up for in dry season performance and tread wear. In hindsight I probably should have gotten some dedicated snows instead of the DWS. But since we don't drive the car that much and don't ever HAVE to go anywhere when it is snowy, I opted to go the AS route and save a lot of money and hassle. If I drove the car a lot more and needed to drive to get to work I would definitely have gotten snow tires instead of the DWS. What few times the wife and I driven the car in snow, it performed well with the DWSs and never felt out of control. Of course, we actually know how to drive in snow, unlike some certain other members that have posted videos that demonstrate that they dont. ;)

I use the DWS as 3 season tires, but there's no comparison to theNokian RSi in the snow. If you keep the car long enough to replace the tires, just buy the second set for snow. It's an initial cash outlay, but have you priced bodywork lately?

Archived