LegacyGT.com

Just bought Conti ExtremeContact DWS!!

08LGT80

So anyway, not to change the subject, have people noticed a difference in AS snow performance based on 1) the quality of the snow (wet, dry, freeze cycled, packed, shallow, etc.), and 2) the car set up (lowered and stiff vs. high and soft)?

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For the people who is saying it's one of the best AS tires you have had, I am glad you feel that way and the tire is working out so good for you but 10 minutes out in a car with real tires would show you just how crappy they are.

What exactly would you consider a "real" tire? I am not bashing, just curious, I am running Nokian WRs all year and love them. But the price went up way higher that what I paid for them so when the time comes to replace them I was looking for an alternative, and the DWS seems to be the best suited AS tire. I don't want to be switching summers/snows every season, so if you have a better suggestion please share.

I'm scared to drive on my DWS's tomorrow. It's a whopping few inches of dry snow and I have to drive *gasp!* 8 miles to work. (/sarcasm)

Be careful out there. It's pretty icy from my driving tonight

^Good advice but you're also a lot closer to the coast. Just on looks, our snow is like before in that it's really dry and powdery.

Well here is my review:

On 4-6 inches snow covered, some unplowed, some compacted snow, these tires are great. Braking was not an issue. Turning was not an issue. Going up hills not an issue. Going down hills not an issue. Doing donuts and drifting in an open, unplowed parking lot not an issue. As long as you take your time and allow adequate braking distance, these tires are all they are cracked up to be.

Now, what parking lot should I hit up next? =)

Just drove home in our brief snow storm we had here last night. About 2-3 inches of fresh stuff in an hour or two. Freeway, unplowed, and side roads unplowed. Tires were very steady, not a lot of "drifting" or catching while going straight. Essentially point and shoot. I did actually slow down, gasp, below the posted speed limit of 60 mph on the freeway and didn't take right hand corners on side streets at the posted 30 mph limit either. More like 10-15mph as that seemed like a "safe" idea in snow. I felt like not being able to see the lanes clearly and having snow driving down I should take some caution. I may just be retarded, not sure yet. :)
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

These tires are asymmetrical right? But since they have a distinct pattern to them, do they have to be intalled with a certain part facing outwards? Just thinking for rotational purposes, do they need to be unmounted in order to cross rotate?

I go by the general thinking that asymmetrical tires are non-directional and can be mounted at any corner of the vehicle. So do these need to roll in a certain direction?

They have an inside and an outside but as long as outside is out and inside in, you're fine. That's one small plus I saw in these over something like PS AS's in that I can rotate front to rear as well as side to side.

Just drove home in our brief snow storm we had here last night. About 2-3 inches of fresh stuff in an hour or two. Freeway, unplowed, and side roads unplowed. Tires were very steady, not a lot of "drifting" or catching while going straight. Essentially point and shoot. I did actually slow down, gasp, below the posted speed limit of 60 mph on the freeway and didn't take right hand corners on side streets at the posted 30 mph limit either. More like 10-15mph as that seemed like a "safe" idea in snow. I felt like not being able to see the lanes clearly and having snow driving down I should take some caution. I may just be retarded, not sure yet. :)

I saw the same thing with the dusting+ over the holiday break on the east side of lake washtington. And In the Ice that was left over after that. No issues, but the wheels/tires were on the forester becasue those tires I just got shortly before the trek.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

I would have had a tough time safely making it to work at the hospital yesterday with 18" of new cement-like wet snow at 32.1 F in my DWS's. Glad I upgraded to the Gislaved Nordfrost 5's for the winter. These tires are awesome in the snow- its like driving on dry roads even when its snow packed or ruts of slush. I have been happy with the DWSs though in heavy rains and dry weather. The stock RE92's hydroplaned like crazy in a downpour / flooded interstates.

I would have had a tough time safely making it to work at the hospital yesterday with 18" of new cement-like wet snow at 32.1 F in my DWS's. Glad I upgraded to the Gislaved Nordfrost 5's for the winter. These tires are awesome in the snow- its like driving on dry roads even when its snow packed or ruts of slush. I have been happy with the DWSs though in heavy rains and dry weather. The stock RE92's hydroplaned like crazy in a downpour / flooded interstates.

So no roads were plowed?

Got my 1st chance to try out my new DWS's. I strayed from the plowed roads and took a back road I was hoping was not plowed to the bare pavement for a short 1/4 mile jaunt. The roads had a thick coating of packed snow and the car handled GREAT, I could not have done the speeds/taken the corners like I did with those RE92's.

I told my wife when I got home that I made a good decision upgrading the tires.

I just got DWS installed today, after all the snowstorms streets are dry and clear. While I can't comment on how they perform in snow, they feel better than stock Bridgestone tires in dry. =)

p.s. trying to get rid of the stock Turanza tires (225/50/17, 1.9k miles), pm me if you are interested.

p.p.s after 100 miles I notice the DWS accelerates and brakes better than stock tires, but the ride seems worse. I could feel more road imperfections, is it because UHP tires tend to sacrifice ride comfort for performance? I am gonna try lowering the tire pressures (now at 37.5psi/36psi)

p.p.p.s rebalanced the tires, now they are as good as anything there is.

I just got DWS installed today, after all the snowstorms streets are dry and clear. While I can't comment on how they perform in snow, they feel better than stock Bridgestone tires in dry. =)

p.s. trying to get rid of the stock Turanza tires (225/50/17, 1.9k miles), pm me if you are interested.

p.p.s after 100 miles I notice the DWS accelerates and brakes better than stock tires, but the ride seems worse. I could feel more road imperfections, is it because UHP tires tend to sacrifice ride comfort for performance? I am gonna try lowering the tire pressures (now at 37.5psi/36psi)

Different size tires will increase and decrease acceleration slightly. Xenok did a good thread on tire sizes vs performance and acceleration.

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

Archived