LegacyGT.com

Just bought Conti ExtremeContact DWS!!

08LGT80

Got these put on my stockers Monday. 225/45/17...such a nice riding tire for these crap roads around here.

I floored it in the rain a few times yesterday. I had a very hard time spinning a wheel. They gripped better under wet acceleration than my big Star Specs.

Now that I have some miles on them I'm going to push them a bit today to see how they handle.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've had them on my car for about 11,000 miles and have no complaints. They are a great tire and have had no problems with grip at all in wet conditions . Finally got a chance to try them out in the snow yesterday and was quite impressed. Had some slip but mainly because it was a slushy spot. Also didn't help that the ford in front of me was spinning out and having issues with his chains.

These tires ride like a dream.. almost like a luxury car. Handling in dry seems adequate but it takes awhile to get used to the soft mushy feeling when you turn. The car maintains it's grip but there is a lot more give due to the soft tread compound. I run 41f/39r and it stiffens things up a tad without being harsh. I bought these understanding that the wet/ice/snow capabilities trumps the other all season performance brand tires out there. Being that we keep getting slammed with snowstorms every year, this tire stood out for me. Plus these things have a great wear rating, so should last a long time on your car.

For once I am excited for it to snow and rain in the Midwest! I can't wait to see how these DWSs perform in adverse conditions.

• Mega Users

Thanks.

I'm curious because they are both all season tires that do extremely well in the snow (for an allseason). It seems like most people who have either of them year round are very happy. I'm just undecided which one to get.

Got these put on my stockers Monday. 225/45/17...such a nice riding tire for these crap roads around here.

I floored it in the rain a few times yesterday. I had a very hard time spinning a wheel. They gripped better under wet acceleration than my big Star Specs.

This doesn't surprise me in the least. I am completely unimpressed with the star specs in the wet. They have the second worst wet traction I have ever had, almost as bad as the RE-92. I need to take them off, and quick...

Thanks.

I'm curious because they are both all season tires that do extremely well in the snow (for an allseason). It seems like most people who have either of them year round are very happy. I'm just undecided which one to get.

I'm very happy with the Eagle GTs (and they test well with Tire Rack - the main reason I got them). They handle well in wet or dry. They did well in the little bit of snow I've had them in. They are only noisy on a few road services. I did have a seam splice separation on one that was replaced prorata under warranty just recently. The other all season on my list was the Conti.

This doesn't surprise me in the least. I am completely unimpressed with the star specs in the wet. They have the second worst wet traction I have ever had, almost as bad as the RE-92. I need to take them off, and quick...

I actually think my SSes have pretty good wet grip. I've autoxed with them in the rain before and they were very good. Other AWD guys running Kuhmo XSs were having problems though.

Anyways, I really like the DWS so far (~650 miles). I'm used to driving with super stiff tires in warm weather, so these are a nice change of pace. As said before, the sidewalls are pretty soft, so you'll get that sidewall roll in hard cornering. I'm running 45 profiles which contribute to the roll. It's not a big deal IMO. The tradeoff between comfort and performance is one I can live with in the winter.

I actually think my SSes have pretty good wet grip. I've autoxed with them in the rain before and they were very good. Other AWD guys running Kuhmo XSs were having problems though.

Anyways, I really like the DWS so far (~650 miles). I'm used to driving with super stiff tires in warm weather, so these are a nice change of pace. As said before, the sidewalls are pretty soft, so you'll get that sidewall roll in hard cornering. I'm running 45 profiles which contribute to the roll. It's not a big deal IMO. The tradeoff between comfort and performance is one I can live with in the winter.

Plan on getting these. Anything to worry about when cornering? Such as feeling as the tire may fall off?

I like to do some spirited driving is why I ask.

I have the tires and they are great. Got them installed about 3 weeks ago and no issues at all. The sidewall for me isn't soft at all and bette then the OEM tires by far.

In rain, I used to spin like a mofo everywhere and now I just have grip grip grip. It hasn't snowed here so I am not sure how they do in heavy snow.

• 2 weeks later...
I just got a set through Sears took less then a week to get them in. Fabulous tires.

They were busy when I called and asked if they could call me back. I obliged and watched as the clock went past closing time...I guess I wasn't that important to them. :rolleyes:

I see discounttiredirect.com has some in stock (or at least they say they do) with free shipping (because they jacked up the tire price $10 each :rolleyes:)

Anyone familiar with dealing with them on replacement tires? They have certificates for replacement for $16 per tire. I would like to get the hazard insurance but with ordering through mail...I don't know if they are hard to get a claim through on or not.

Thanks!

I can't seem to find any solid answers on this and want to get them thrown on my car tomorrow (Hopefully) I have a 2008 legacy 3.0r with 215\45\18 s on them at the moment (Potenza's) and looking at one of them it looks like someone took a razor blade into the wheel (little bit of curb rash too, but the wife really likes the stock wheels, so i'll have to make due..) (By the way, they came that way when I bought the car, just didn't notice until I got it home :( )

Anyways, I wanted to know if I could comfortably fit 225\45\18's on the car without any issue, just for some extra sidewall?

Thanks for the info

Edit:

Found this calculator http://www.rimsntires.com/rt_specs.jsp that gave me this information

Based on my 18x7x55 (I think) Wheel, it says that it will throw my speedo off by .7mph and will fill out the wheel well by 4mm.. Which really isn't a difference.

Are there any better options, or should I go with these vs the 215s?

IMO go with the 225's.

I'll be buying these tires in the next few month's, in 225/45/17 for my 05 Wagon. Just took the old RE92's off yesterday and put the snows on. The RE92's came on the second set of wheels I bought. Believe me I would never buy that tire.

Glad to hear everyone likes the DWS's so far. I'm waiting to hear how they are over the next few month's. Let It Snow.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'll be buying these tires in the next few month's, in 225/45/17 for my 05 Wagon. Just took the old RE92's off yesterday and put the snows on. The RE92's came on the second set of wheels I bought. Believe me I would never buy that tire.

Just a friendly head's up. I tried ordering mine last year around this time. I got a response back saying they were backordered til March. I ordered early this year!

Damn...these are backordered in 225/45/17 now on Tirerack and my local Subie dealer told me that Tirerack is their source.

Sears says they carry them...let's see....

I had the same problem, back ordered on TireRack. Ended up ordering them through my local tire place which cost a bit more, but ordered them on a Friday and had them on the next Monday.

Definitely happy with them. Not as responsive or all out good handling as the RE960AS, but still a great tire with awesome wet and pretty good dry grip. I'm sure the will dwarf the performance of the RE960s in the white stuff.

To anyone looking to buy DWS's in the near future, if you're having issues finding them readily available, try calling various dealers in your area. Not tire shops but actual dealers. I work for MB and we have about 4 different suppliers we use for tires and our most common supplier shows them in stock and ready to ship. I could have them about 11am tomorrow.:lol:;)

Archived